PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any experience applying for a CCW in either Sacramento or Butte County?

tacticalcity
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Anybody have any experience applying for a CCW in either Sacramento County or Butte County?

I currently live in Sacramento, but have a place in Oroville as well, which I am continually thinking about making my place of residence. Curious to know how both county Sheriffs are about CCWs.

I'm already getting the 32 multi-state one, but since it is not valid in CA I would like to get the CA one as well.

tacticalcity
10-29-2009, 3:10 PM
Crickets...I hear crickets...

JBird33
10-29-2009, 4:33 PM
I don't have any firsthand experience, but I would try to get it in Butte County. Sacramento is issuing more permits than it used to, but it is still a bit of a toss up. Butte County is pretty much shall-issue, from what I understand.

CSDGuy
10-29-2009, 5:03 PM
Given the local Sacramento Politics, I'd say that if you were to LEGITIMATELY make your primary residence in Oroville, you'd stand a very good chance at getting a CCW approved. If your CCW is for the purpose of expanding your job opportunities... I doubt Butte County will approve that.

tacticalcity
10-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I like the capitalized LEGITMATELY. It would be a legitmate move. But it would also mean quitting the day job (www.tacticalcity.com would become my only source of income). So getting the CCW would not be the motivation behind it, just one of many checked boxes in the PROs section. Some days I can't wait to get out of Sacramento all together, other days I am more practical. Hell, I have no idea what I am going to do in a week, or a month, or a year. Of course I've been saying I'm leaving Sacramento for seven years now, and I am still here.

If Sacramento turns me down for a CCW, is that something that can prevent me from getting it elsewhere later?

Also, I was told the correct answer for why you want a CCW was "To comply with California State law" and that it was a bad idea to put down anything else. That any other answer just opens up opportunitites for scrutney while a desire to comply with the law cannot be faulted. I'm obviously no expert, but the argument the instructor gave made sense to me.

nicki
11-04-2009, 1:25 PM
The "Sykes case" is against Sacramento and Yolo counties because they don't issue CCW permits.

If you need a CCW now, your odds a significantly better with Butte county, but you have to be a "resident".

Nicki

3boyzmom
01-06-2010, 6:42 PM
I just received my Sac. County CCW, and the only thing I can tell you is that almost everyone told me I would never get it, and it WAS really tough. And whomever told you that your "reason" for needing it was to comply with the law isn't accurate.

Sac. County Sheriff wants to know why you need a gun to protect yourself, because the assumption is that you don't need a gun to protect yourself in most cases. Almost universally the only reasons they deem acceptable is that you carry large amounts of cash for your employment, or that you serve legal notices. Even in my case, where I collect rents- most of it being in cash- they asked me if I could make changes to how I did business to prevent from carrying so much cash. They asked what other precautions I take, if it's possible for me to hire security, etc...

Butte being a more rural county, I would think it would be easier there. But generally there is a period of residency required. You couldn't just claim residency and a month later apply.

ChrisTKHarris
01-06-2010, 6:45 PM
I like the capitalized LEGITMATELY. It would be a legitmate move. But it would also mean quitting the day job (www.tacticalcity.com would become my only source of income). So getting the CCW would not be the motivation behind it, just one of many checked boxes in the PROs section. Some days I can't wait to get out of Sacramento all together, other days I am more practical. Hell, I have no idea what I am going to do in a week, or a month, or a year. Of course I've been saying I'm leaving Sacramento for seven years now, and I am still here.

If Sacramento turns me down for a CCW, is that something that can prevent me from getting it elsewhere later?

Also, I was told the correct answer for why you want a CCW was "To comply with California State law" and that it was a bad idea to put down anything else. That any other answer just opens up opportunitites for scrutney while a desire to comply with the law cannot be faulted. I'm obviously no expert, but the argument the instructor gave made sense to me.

Yes and no. When applying for a CCW they do ask how many times you have previously applied for a CCW. They take that into account.

CGK60
01-25-2010, 8:15 AM
A yes for butte county. The last two sheriffs have been good for ccw. But the sheriff is retiring so i hope we get a pro gun sheriff in again.

Mad Scotsman
01-31-2010, 2:26 PM
My wife and I are taking the CCW class next week in Chico, and from what I hear Butte County Sheriff is shall issue. Will let you know.

Mad Scotsman
02-24-2010, 9:26 AM
Well, we're done with the CCW class and it was a four hour with qualify and some skills practice, very good class. Everyone qualified. Butte County Sheriff, for now is will issue. We went into great discussion about cause and the instructor said the Sheriff accepts anything, the ladies at the station even help you fill out the application.

tacticalcity
02-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Sadly I am apparently sticking around Sacramento a bit longer for work. If things change I am definately going to follow your example and move to Butte County. Thanks for keeping us informed about your progress.

haveyourmile
03-24-2010, 3:36 PM
Bump. Any more info on Sac CCWs? I hear now is a good time to be applying? Who offers CA CCW classes around Sacramento? Do I need to take the class before I apply?

thebronze
03-24-2010, 4:31 PM
Bump. Any more info on Sac CCWs? I hear now is a good time to be applying? Who offers CA CCW classes around Sacramento? Do I need to take the class before I apply?

According to whom?

6172crew
03-24-2010, 11:15 PM
My old roomate had his Amador CCW grabbed fron Sac county when he moved. 2 deputies knocked on the doot and asked for the thing.

I guess he tried to fight it but they pimped him off.

thebronze
03-25-2010, 12:55 AM
My old roomate had his Amador CCW grabbed fron Sac county when he moved. 2 deputies knocked on the doot and asked for the thing.

Nice...

caoboy
03-25-2010, 2:07 AM

Knocked him on the doot and pimped him off eh?

Sorry, had to lol! :p

ChrisTKHarris
03-25-2010, 8:22 AM

Speak English.

weezil_boi
03-25-2010, 9:38 PM
I recently sent a copy of a letter I found on CalCCW to capt Jim Cooper - running for Sac Sheriff. The letter was addressed to current sheriff McGiness and was responded to by capt. Scott Jones (the other candidate for 2010 Sac sheriff).

I asked Capt Cooper to provide his position on CCWs and to please describe how his policies will differ (if any) from those of the current sheriff and his opponent for November's ballot.

I got a campaign worker's response, not a direct one from Cooper. I figured that would happen.

In the response, the staffer said Cooper's position was that if the applicant qualified and could show "demonstrated need", he would be willing to consider the CCW ..........Um, Duh. I expected that too.

But the next line... that I never saw comming....

(Quote) " ... However, I would like to see a uniform concealed carry permit standard across the State, not the jurisdictional patchwork that currently exists."

Now when I read this I hear - "Its too easy for people in other counties to get CCWs and I wish they were hard to get like it is here in sacramento"... thats my take.

Here is the original question I posed, followed by the text of the letter that I snagged from CalCCW...

Captain Cooper,

I was browsing some information on the web about CCW process and policies here in our county ( I am an Elk Grove resident and xxxx Dept. employee).

On one website (calccw.com) I came across a letter from a resident sent to our Sheriff. The same letter includes a response from Scott Jones which clearly demonstrates his position on how CCWs should/not be issued. I find our current policy of "nearly impossible" to be very concerning.

Please tell me how your position and policies regarding CCWs will differ from Mr. Jones, if at all.

-xxxx

Here is the text of that letter for you reference...

............... START of CalCCW Letter......................................
Sheriff,

I was listening to you on the A&G show for the last two days and I was hoping you could help me with something. (Great show by the way)

You had two different callers call with questions about CCWs. You responded that you support the 2nd Amendment and that your department issues CCWs. I am trying to reconcile these statements with the reputation and practice of the Sac Sheriffs department.

Your department does not issue CCWs, in fact I don’t think you have issued a new CCW since you became Sheriff- maybe a few to government employees and agents but none to regular citizens. The firearms training instructors listed on your website have stopped offering training because of the practices of your department. The reputation of the Sac Sheriff is that the department is “NO ISSUE” on par with San Francisco. The number of permits issued in Sac County is about 500 and declining. This is an issuance rate of 0.03%. If the county was at the national issue rate of 2% for “Shall issue” states (and some counties in CA) the number of permits would be closer to 27,500, quite a difference if you ask me. Is this your intent or are the people you have delegated to this task being more strict than you intend? As far as people applying, most people don’t even bother because they know they will be denied. Because of this, if you are trying to use the number of requests you currently receive as a barometer for the pent up demand for CCWs you do not have a valid baseline.

I have heard comments made that limited CCW issuance is a public safety issue, but this has been disproven by 20+ years of history in “Shall Issue” states. I am licensed in 30 states to carry a concealed weapon, it is only in the state that I live where it is almost impossible to get a permit. What is scary is that the crime rate in CA is higher than most other states. By your own admission, a LEO can not be there to protect me and in fact GC 845 exempts LEO and governments from protecting me. GC 820-821 exempts governments and CLEO from liability when issuing permits, so I struggle with why the Sac County Sherriff’s department refuses to allow people the means to protect themselves. I am not talking about in the home, that is not a problem, I am talking about when I have to go out in public and interact with meth-heads, Mexican narco gangs, South Sac Gang bangers, general thugs etc.

This situation has gotten to the point that people are fleeing Sacramento county and the state of California by the 1000’s because of the regressive nature of the self-defense laws in this state. Do you ever wonder why the population of El Dorado and Placer counties are growing while the Bay area counties are shrinking? I myself am looking to move and take my taxes to a county that is more trusting of it’s citizens and at least affords me a reasonable chance at self-defense.

Sheriff, I am looking for a reason here and I can’t come up with a good one. The only reasons I can come up with that the Sac County Sheriff does not issue more CCWs are distrust of citizens, power issues, control issues, etc. It has nothing to do with Public Safety or personal responsibility. I would hope that as the economic crisis accelerates and crime skyrockets you have a change of heart and let people obtain the means to defend themselves.

Do I expect it? No – but one can only hope.

THE RESPONSE

The reply from the Sherriff’s office

I was asked to respond to you regarding your inquiries relative to the Sheriff’s issuance of CCW permits. First, your assertion that Sheriff McGinness does not issue permits is erroneous; he has issued several dozen permits since he has taken office. Although he has final authority over whether to grant or deny an applicant, he has empanelled a CCW committee that reviews each application. He has provided guidelines to that committee on criteria to consider in granting or denying an application. Factors to consider in granting the application are if the applicant is a business owner/agent who transports large sums of money or valuable commodities; individuals who are engaged in fugitive recovery, executive protection, and the like; individuals who have demonstrated a need or articulated threat; and former law enforcement officers or other persons who have received substantial training in weapons handling. Conversely, there are a number of criteria that are weighed AGAINST granting a permit, such as certain prior arrests or convictions, evidence of substance abuse, etc.

It is easy to look from the outside and determine for yourself what the Sheriff should or should not do with regard to CCW permits. However, that responsibility is vested squarely with the Sheriff and as with any significant responsibility, it must be tempered by a concomitant responsibility and restraint. It would be a simple matter to simply grant each CCW application, but the community would not be best served by such a practice. Further, any internal practice must withstand scrutiny from the public, the media, and the courts (the Department has been sued twice regarding CCW issuance since the Sheriff took office).

Finally, as for your assertion that the number of applicants cannot be used as a barometer for the effectiveness of the CCW process, I’m not sure what other measure to use. It is purely speculative to opine what might be the outcome of potential applicants, and I would encourage anyone who feels they have a need to apply—including you, since I was unable to determine that you ever applied for a CCW permit with this Department under that name.

While I recognize that this may not satisfy your concerns relative to the issuance of CCWs in Sacramento County, I hope it at least gives you some insight into the process.

Captain Scott Jones
Assistant to the Sheriff

............... END of CalCCW Letter......................................

****** This is the response I got from Jim Cooper's campaign****

xxxx

Thank you for your inquiry. Here is Jim's take on CCW's:

If a person can show a demonstrated need and can pass requisite background checks, I would be open to using a concealed carry permit. However, I would like to see a uniform concealed carry permit standard across the State, not the jurisdictional patchwork that currently exists.

Sincerely,

The Jim Cooper for Sheriff Campaign

thebronze
03-26-2010, 12:48 AM
So basically, Cooper and Jones would be more of the same.

Nice.

Too bad Brett Daniels doesn't have a chance...

Bret Daniels
04-23-2010, 8:52 AM
So basically, Cooper and Jones would be more of the same.

Nice.

Too bad Brett Daniels doesn't have a chance...

The Bronze, we have a very good chance of winning. The next few weeks will be very telling as the public learns more and more about all of the candidates in this race. I fully expect the election to result in a run-off and I fully expect to win.

If you truly care about the 2nd Amendment and the right for people to be able to protect themselves, than I ask you to jump on board.

tacticalcity
04-23-2010, 9:40 AM
It would be great to have a CCW friendly Sherrif in office. Good luck to you, sir.

akoba
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
If you truly care about the 2nd Amendment and the right for people to be able to protect themselves, than I ask you to jump on board.

If you too care about our right to protect our selves , then you got my support :) . Im a first time voter as i just recently become a U.S. citizen.

yeah its nice to have a ccw friendly sherrif in the office.

Mad Scotsman
04-26-2010, 3:23 PM
:clap: Rice paper arrived in the mail, two months to the day. :party:

gunfan74
02-23-2011, 5:06 PM
Just turned in my targets, money, and paperwork yesterday in Oroville! EEEeeeee!!!! Sure hope I get that rice paper in the mail!

jptopz
02-23-2011, 5:34 PM
I have family in Butte County with CCWs. Very easy to get in Butte County I would try there first.