PDA

View Full Version : Question about background check

Ross
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Here's a hypethetical question.

Situation:

25 year-old
Stopped for driving under the influence.
Search of vehicle reveals heroin (three baggies) and needles (more than two).

Charges:
Failure to stop at stop sign.
DUI of a controlled substance.
Possession with intent to sell.

Results:
Mommy and daddy use money to get charges knocked to misdomeaner with 6 months probation.

Question:
Can this kid pass a background check for a firearm purchase?

CHS
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
If the charges are all misdemeanors, and non-violent misdemeanors, then yes, he will pass the background check and be able to buy guns. Most likely.

Just download the eligibility check form, mail it in, and wait for the response. That's the only way to be 100% sure without trying to buy a gun first.

caoboy
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds like this person needs not a gun.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Aren't some drug related misdemeanors disqualifiying?

Guess it would depend on what the final charges he plead to actually ended up being.

Ross
10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh, it's not me. 23 years in the Navy has made me a hardline about some drugs.

One of the reasons I ask, his live-in girlfriend was denied an internship with the USSS as a criminal psychologist. Reason for denial was not given however, that 23 year experience mentioned earlier has taught me what the reason is.

I am afraid she is blackballed from any kind of job requiring a background check which goes through our goobermint.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh, it's not me. 23 years in the Navy has made me a hardline about some drugs.

One of the reasons I ask, his live-in girlfriend was denied an internship with the USSS as a criminal psychologist. Reason for denial was not given however, that 23 year experience mentioned earlier has taught me what the reason is.

I am afraid she is blackballed from any kind of job requiring a background check which goes through our goobermint.

I wouldn't say ANY gubment job. Because EVERYONE, even janitors that work for the gubment hafta have a background check. But I would say that any job requiring some higher level of clearance or anything LE related is prolly a no-go. That fact is that those kind of jobs are have such a plethora of applicants there is not need for them to "overlook" certain things. She might have better luck with some smaller state or local LE agencies though.

I always thought it sucked though that they will never tell you why you were denied.

GrizzlyGuy
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
An easy way for him to find out would be to do a Personal Firearms Eligibility Check:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pfecfaqs.php

dantodd
10-29-2009, 1:43 PM
Guess they figure it's hard to stay clean when you live in a sty?

jazman
10-29-2009, 1:47 PM
Junkies and firearms are not a good combination in my mind.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 2:09 PM
And actually now that I think about it, any admitted use of, or something that might lead and investigator to believed you used any narcotic....even once 20+ years ago is automatic DQ for any LE job.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 2:12 PM
And actually now that I think about it, any admitted use of, or something that might lead and investigator to believed you used any narcotic....even once 20+ years ago is automatic DQ for any LE job.

hmmm... a buddy of mine was a fed and said that he had used drugs when in VietNam and as long as he told the truth his agency had no problem with it. Continued use would presumably be another issue.

ponderosa
10-29-2009, 2:27 PM
25 year-old
Stopped for driving under the influence.
Search of vehicle reveals heroin (three baggies) and needles (more than two).

Sounds like trouble to me, but maybe I'm not being fair.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 2:27 PM
hmmm... a buddy of mine was a fed and said that he had used drugs when in VietNam and as long as he told the truth his agency had no problem with it. Continued use would presumably be another issue.

Pretty much any LEA job posting I've ever seen says something about previous use of narcotics is a DQ. MJ use is usually discretionary per agency based on length of use and how long since last used. I can't speak for EVERY agency.....but any I've ever come across narcotic use is a no-go.