View Full Version : Colt Single-Action Army fans should get a kick out of this

mikehaas
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, a "little" kick anyway... :p

http://ammoguide.com/gfx/smallsaa/

Nodda Duma
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Very nice.

I wish SAA's weren't so expensive (even the repro ones). They always seem to go for $1000 and up. Where are the $200 SAA's?! :)

My wife, who doesn't own any firearms and takes no interest, likes the look of them. If she were to ever buy a firearm for herself, a "revolver with a long barrel" would be her first choice. She might never shoot it, but she'd like the look.

-Jason

CHS
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
It's so cute!! Reminds me of a Ruger Bearcat.

smle-man
10-29-2009, 11:39 AM
All I have right now is a Cimmeron SAA 5.5" old style frame revolver but in the past I've had a Bisley, a 'frontier six shooter' 4 5/8" .45 from 1888, a 2nd generation Nevada commerative .45 5.5" and a 2nd generation 4 5/8" nickle .357. Unfortunately I sold each one in turn and made 3-400 on each sale but I wish now I had kept each one. Everyone should own a real Colt SAA at sometime in their shooting career just as they should own a P08, 1911, M1 rifle, among others. All are pieces of history and dripping with significance for firearms design and the shooting hobby.

Dirtbiker
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
WOW that one pistol is GIANT ;)

mikehaas
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Just added a new slide - check out slide #5.

Yes, "cute" is the word. You should feel what it's like putting it in half-cock... :yes:

mikehaas
10-29-2009, 2:17 PM
Very nice.

I wish SAA's weren't so expensive (even the repro ones). They always seem to go for $1000 and up. Where are the $200 SAA's?! :)

SAA's are pricey, if you see a decent one for under $1000, don't pass it up. I haven't looked for years, but you should be able to pick up a Uberti clone or equivalent for around $300-$400. Even Colt brought out a less expensive single-action (the Cowboy) years ago although I have not looked at market prices for awhile.

The SAA's are expensive because it's only available through Colt's custom shop. They are precision-fitted handguns with exceptional mirror finishes and bold case hardening. It really stands out in a side-by-side with a Ruger or even a Colt Cowboy or other mass-produced knock-off (which are good guns BTW, have several).

bwiese
10-29-2009, 3:45 PM
Very nice.

They're the Uberti guns sold by Cabela's.

Perhaps she'd be happy with a Ruger New Vaquero.

As I understand it, the SASS-type guys that shoot their Colt SAAs have to do fairly frequent spring changes on 'em.

I'm happy with my Ruger 50th Blackhawk in 357 (great gun!) and my upcoming NRA pair of matched New Vaqueros (had too many whiskey sours at an FNRA dinner and started bidding)

forgiven
10-29-2009, 9:13 PM
I've had two and still have one. Very nice revolvers.

Riodog
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a bunch with my favorites being short barreled, nickle, preferably in calibers of 'the old west'. If anyone has, knows, etc., where I can find a later-after 1900 SAA in 41 Colt in decent condition (REASONABLE) cuz I want to shoot the heck out of it, I'll pay a finders fee. I have a bunch of last production ammo that I've been hoarding for years just growing old in my ammo bunker an we ain't getting any younger.

I just love my SAA's. I'd relinquish all of my black rifles and my left nut before I'd give up any one of my SAA's. I should have lived about 120 years ago.:cowboy:
I'd post a pic of yours truly wearin my quick-draw getup (years before SASS) but you turkeys would have too much fun laughin your *sses off at my expense.:D
C'mon Kes, how about a "walk 'n draw" smiley?
Rio

B Strong
10-30-2009, 8:59 AM
I got to check out a minature SAA at the SGN show years back - amazing craftsmanship.

Thanks for the pics.