PDA

View Full Version : off duty security guard shoots bipolar pt as he was attacking his MD.

Clayface
10-29-2009, 8:53 AM
Link

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20091028mgh_patient_slashes_doc_shot_dead_by_off-duty_guard/srvc=home&position=2

In a nutshell:A bipolar pt was at a routine visit and an off duty security guard heard the a person screams. The patient was stabbing his doctor with a knife. THe Guard forced himself through the door ,ordered the Patient to drop his weapon (knife) and when the patient launched at him he said he had no choice but to shoot him by putting two in his chest/torso and one in the head. Police and hospital staff are applauding the security guards reaction. The patients family is however upset because they said he was mentally ill and the security guard should have tried his best to resolve the situation without the use of lethal force.

What are your thoughts on this story?

troysland
10-29-2009, 8:57 AM
Patient had a knife. Two peoples lives were in Danger. Patient was warned. Shooting was justified. Enough said!

halifax
10-29-2009, 9:33 AM
Tragic.

The parents may have been willing to sacrifce their own lives if it had happened at home but no one else, and I mean no one, would be expected to do the same.

pennys dad
10-29-2009, 9:58 AM
I am glad the security officer was there.

sephy
10-29-2009, 10:07 AM
So how many times does the security guard need to be stabbed before the family would understand his actions?

bearing01
10-29-2009, 10:14 AM
All in a day's work, protecting the innocent from force of another.

Fat_Rat
10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I am glad the security officer was there.

Yup. Bipolar or not the guy had a knife.

CCRBUM
10-29-2009, 10:43 AM
family's reaction sounds pretty typical :(... it's always unjust until you are the one being stabbed! Good job though for the security guard, I know they get a picked on a lot but my brother has done security work and got some very extensive training due to his job... they get put into some nasty places and people think they can walk on them because they are not a "cop". I'm sure the doctors there will who feel ill towards the guards will change their tone after that!

Super Spy
10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
A threat is a threat, lucky for the Dr that the security guard was nearby and acted promptly.

GlennG31
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree with what everyone has said thus far. How is the security guard supposed to resolve the situation without the use of deadly force when the guy is coming at him with a knife? The guy is mentally ill. You don't know what he's going to do. You can't predict his actions. Good shoot, in my opinion.

chickenfried
10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh man....:rolleyes:

An attorney for the man gunned down by an off-duty private security officer at a Boston psychiatric clinic Tuesday said today he has “serious reservations” about any claims the killing was heroic.

“I can openly and honestly say that there has been no history of violence,” said Perullo, who represented Carciero for a year and a half. “Although he has been treated for a bipolar disorder there were no indication, no red flags of his behavior and no history of violence.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20091029carciero_attorney_expresses_opinion_on_act ions_of_hero_officer/

Bizcuits
10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Good shoot.

Dirtbiker
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
shoot him by putting two in his chest/torso and one in the head

Excellent marksmanship under duress.

It's too bad that someone who is mentally ill and not in control of their actions had to die but it was him or the guard.

Maybe the Brady camp will try to ban knives.

paintballergb
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I say he is a damn good shot.

Harley Quinn
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
He will need the help of the person he saved now.
Always tough to kill, but that is part of the job.

Hope things go easier for him, and others.

Regards

frunkis
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Patient had a knife. Two peoples lives were in Danger. Patient was warned. Shooting was justified. Enough said!

^^this^^

retired
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
The response from the family is similar to le shootings when family members say the leo should have shot the knife or gun out of the suspect's hand instead of shooting him/her.

Totally unrealistic expectation, tho not an unexpected reaction. The security guard did an excellent job in a scary situation. I'm sure the doc is grateful. I am also sure the suspect's family will sue.

POLICESTATE
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I understand how the family feels but if your mentally deranged family member starts attacking people with a weapon then why should he be treated any different than a non mentally deranged individual who is attacking someone with a weapon?

+3 points for good hits to the security guard.
+100 points for the "mozambique", great technique!

JDoe
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
What are your thoughts on this story?

No time for a psych evaluation during a gruesome knife attack by a burly 6'4" attacker on a woman.

The security guard did the right thing and stopped the threat.

1BigPea
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
This security guard was off duty, he was concealed carrying and saw the Dr being stabbed. He was in the right place and the right time and he saved one life, probably more.

Just more reinforcement with this situation that CCW saves lives.

RedFord150
10-29-2009, 2:08 PM
Those of us in So Cal are used to seeing the news stories with the family and friends of the dead or wounded criminal. They all speak as if they witnessed the event. Sob, sob, my Junior would never do that. No need for LEO to shoot him. Never seen him with that stolen .25. Cop had it out for him/her...
Atty. says no history of violence. I guess he just found the knife in the Doctor's office...
I wish the best for the security Guard. He'll be defending his decision for years to come.

Glock619
10-29-2009, 2:34 PM
would it have been different if guard maced before?

ponderosa
10-29-2009, 4:19 PM
Sounds to me like a basic situation. Man with knife attacking someone gets shot once he initiated another attack on a knowingly armed person. The fact the man was not of sane mind is rather obvious, as it seems to me that any person attacking*, with presumable intent to kill another person, is not of sane mind as a general principle.

*Obviously excluding war and self-defense.

Jorge
10-29-2009, 4:45 PM
The guard was completely in the right. You'd be amazed at how fast someone with a knife can close the distance.

s30
10-29-2009, 5:06 PM
The guard was completely in the right. You'd be amazed at how fast someone with a knife can close the distance.

and youd be surprised how fast some one will sue. guard did the correct thing. my thoughts go out to him though, i doubt he has the post shooting support network like a leo has and the fact that the attackers parents have a lawyer already doesnt bode well.

halifax
10-29-2009, 6:50 PM
Quote:
“I can openly and honestly say that there has been no history of violence,” said Perullo, who represented Carciero for a year and a half. “Although he has been treated for a bipolar disorder there were no indication, no red flags of his behavior and no history of violence.”

Actually, there is a history of extreme violence, albeit, a very short one.

tcrpe
10-29-2009, 7:17 PM
So how many times does the security guard need to be stabbed before the family would understand his actions?

About six or seven . . .

Brianguy
10-29-2009, 7:39 PM
ccw to the rescue!