PDA

View Full Version : I got an email from GunPal

not-fishing
10-29-2009, 6:24 AM
Am I the first to sign up???? This is not my beautiful life

Am I an Idiot??? This can't be happening in the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC of KALIFORNISTAN! :confused:

nn3453
10-29-2009, 8:24 AM
I don't understand a word of what you are saying.

"GunPal, headquartered in Palo Alto, CA, was created by Ben Cannon in 2008 to serve the financial and transactional needs of the firearms community. "The firearms world is dragging its vendors into the 21st century - this business literally needs tech in order to thrive. GunPal will usher in a completely new way of doing business that will also serve to advance the cause of RKBA directly."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/01/prweb1882054.htm

professionalcoyotehunter
10-29-2009, 8:25 AM
I wont sign up. It is just another way to get my information out on the net. Sorry guys.

nn3453
10-29-2009, 8:28 AM
I wont sign up. It is just another way to get my information out on the net. Sorry guys.

You post on the Internet, including your pics. How hard do you think it is to get your personal info?

You perhaps buy stuff on Amazon, maybe even have a paypal account. GunPal does not ask for anything more than what is standard practice.

There are companies that do background checks on people that other companies can contract with that can already get all the info they need.

GunPal is GTG. It will make life way easier for gun folks and will also generate cash for pro 2A organizations.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with GunPal. I just like the fact that someone finally did this.

Casual_Shooter
10-29-2009, 8:36 AM

Am I an Idiot??? This can't be happening in the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC of KALIFORNISTAN! :confused:

:confused: is right... I don't understand what you are trying to say?

professionalcoyotehunter
10-29-2009, 8:40 AM
You post on the Internet, including your pics. How hard do you think it is to get your personal info?

You perhaps buy stuff on Amazon, maybe even have a paypal account. GunPal does not ask for anything more than what is standard practice.

There are companies that do background checks on people that other companies can contract with that can already get all the info they need.

GunPal is GTG. It will make life way easier for gun folks and will also generate cash for pro 2A organizations.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with GunPal. I just like the fact that someone finally did this.

I dont have any of my info on the computer for paypal, ebay, amazon etc. I neer will. I know I pass up great deals but cash is king anyways in this economy and besides everything has fees for their service so how convenient is it really. I will do FTF only or move along.

Clayface
10-29-2009, 8:41 AM
I got it too, although I have no use for it . Its been deleted already.

nn3453
10-29-2009, 8:45 AM
I dont have any of my info on the computer for paypal, ebay, amazon etc. I neer will. I know I pass up great deals but cash is king anyways in this economy and besides everything has fees for their service so how convenient is it really. I will do FTF only or move along.

You post pics with your mug. Your IP is easily tracked. In various jobs, I have contracted with background check companies. It is easy to get your details including the name of your prom date in under a week. This is 2009. Privacy is an illusion.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-29-2009, 8:49 AM
Luckily I never went to prom. IP is my work and firewalled beyond.

pennys dad
10-29-2009, 8:54 AM
go surprise yourself. the man know's who you are.

http://people.yahoo.com/

this one is a free one, imagine and paid one.

bombadillo
10-29-2009, 8:59 AM
Ha, i'm absolutely not on the above list whatsoever. Must be doing something right.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-29-2009, 9:04 AM

I wasn't on this anywhere.

pennys dad
10-29-2009, 9:06 AM
then u are officially off the yahoo grid, congrats.

MrNiceGuy
10-29-2009, 9:41 AM
GunPal, headquartered in Palo Alto, CA, was created by Ben Cannon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Ben Cannon" is one of THE original CalGunner on this site, and have done "quite a bit" for the OLL movement.

So my "personal" feeling is anything started by Ben Cannon (like GunPal) is good to go.

Just me 2 cents.

BTW....he's also the Director,Treasurer of the Calguns Foundation (fighting for your rights) and his company is hosting the Calguns.net website.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=235975

professionalcoyotehunter
10-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I am not saying it is a bad thing just not secure enough for me is all!

Vinz
10-29-2009, 6:22 PM

I think what he is saying is that this it too good to be true in his beautiful life.

And it almost seems to be imposible to happen in CA.

Either that or he was listening to The Talking Heads while typing his reply. :rolleyes:

vinz

five.five-six
10-29-2009, 6:25 PM

guess I am clear

No results matching "five.five-six" - Yahoo! People Search

audihenry
10-29-2009, 6:30 PM
With a name like GunPal, you know it will be a hit outside the gun world.

five.five-six
10-29-2009, 6:32 PM
I think this will be my new "only form of payment" in eBay auctions....

chickenfried
10-29-2009, 6:33 PM
Can you share more about this?
just not secure enough for me is all!

CHS
10-29-2009, 7:45 PM

Wow.. Really?

So you've done a security audit of Gunpal? When you released the report to the owners, what did they say? Did they fix any and all security holes your audit found?

Or are you just talking out of your... ?

Ladyfox
10-29-2009, 9:35 PM

I really did not mean to get into the middle of this, nor is this meant to be making light of your stand or to scare, insult, or intimidate you. That said you really are making a mountain out of a molehill if you think you're 100% secure.

In just about 10 minutes I was able to get sufficient information, using only what you posted here on the forum, that could be used to do a complete background and credit check. Was surprised it took as little time as it did considering what little I had to go on.

Nobody, and I do repeat, nobody is 100% invulnerable or immune from being data mined. Every internet post, every phone number, and every mailing address can be used as a focal point to get a LOT of information about a person.

So while I do commend you for being conscious of your personal information and security you have to be aware you will NEVER be 100% protected as long as you are "on the grid" and to think otherwise is not very realistic. All you really can do is just be vigilant and careful in your dealings while being prepared should someone try and use any information against you.

tenpercentfirearms
10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Guys relax a bit. Proyotehunter is just saying he doesn't like to use any of this web business for payment. No big deal. Obviously GUNPAL is secure for those of us who know how e-commerce works. Some people take an extra step of precaution and that is fine.

This doesn't need to be a pissing match. Proyotehunter won't use it for payment. You and I will. It really is that simple and I respect his caution. To each their own.

To the OP, I don't understand you either!

But I just set up my website to take GUNPAL!

www.tenpercentfirearms.com

Chatterbox
10-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Try Intellius - http://www.intelius.com/. If they don't have you, you're doing pretty good.

chickenfried
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I see it's just that his post made it seem there was a security risk with gunpal. Guys relax a bit. Proyotehunter is just saying he doesn't like to use any of this web business for payment. No big deal.

Soldier415
10-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Have you been huffing poop?

B Strong
10-30-2009, 9:04 AM
guess I am clear

I am as well, and I've used Paypal, Ebay, Amazon, Itunes, etc.

johnny_22
10-30-2009, 9:59 AM

I liked the atypical security questions. Very nice.

CHS
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking DNS is either having a hiccup, or still hasn't fully propagated yet. I can't get to Gunpal from either home or work yet.

goober
10-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I really did not mean to get into the middle of this, nor is this meant to be making light of your stand or to scare, insult, or intimidate you. That said you really are making a mountain out of a molehill if you think you're 100% secure.

In just about 10 minutes I was able to get sufficient information, using only what you posted here on the forum, that could be used to do a complete background and credit check. Was surprised it took as little time as it did considering what little I had to go on.

Nobody, and I do repeat, nobody is 100% invulnerable or immune from being data mined. Every internet post, every phone number, and every mailing address can be used as a focal point to get a LOT of information about a person.

So while I do commend you for being conscious of your personal information and security you have to be aware you will NEVER be 100% protected as long as you are "on the grid" and to think otherwise is not very realistic. All you really can do is just be vigilant and careful in your dealings while being prepared should someone try and use any information against you.
this^

Guys relax a bit. Proyotehunter is just saying he doesn't like to use any of this web business for payment. No big deal. Obviously GUNPAL is secure for those of us who know how e-commerce works. Some people take an extra step of precaution and that is fine.

This doesn't need to be a pissing match. Proyotehunter won't use it for payment. You and I will. It really is that simple and I respect his caution. To each their own.

To the OP, I don't understand you either!

But I just set up my website to take GUNPAL!

www.tenpercentfirearms.com

and also this!^ :)

slik556
10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I think what he is saying is that this it too good to be true in his beautiful life.

And it almost seems to be imposible to happen in CA.

Either that or he was listening to The Talking Heads while typing his reply. :rolleyes:

vinz

Thanks VINZ for clearing it all up for me. Prior to your explanation all I heard was peepee kaka no substance:wacko:.

Vectrexer
10-30-2009, 1:58 PM

You're smart!

We are fortunate.

I have been signed up.

artherd
11-01-2009, 5:18 PM

I respect your decision, however I created GUNPAL so that firearm owners would not have to release their sensitive banking information to retailer after retailer.

In-fact, while no security is perfect - your CC is probably safer in GUNPAL than it is sitting on your desk at night.

GP safeguiards your information and acts as your agent when you make a purchase, vendors never see your account details. This minimizes the number of places your CC or bank information is stored.

Best!
-Ben.

ilbob
11-01-2009, 6:54 PM
I respect your decision, however I created GUNPAL so that firearm owners would not have to release their sensitive banking information to retailer after retailer.

In-fact, while no security is perfect - your CC is probably safer in GUNPAL than it is sitting on your desk at night.

GP safeguiards your information and acts as your agent when you make a purchase, vendors never see your account details. This minimizes the number of places your CC or bank information is stored.

Best!
-Ben.
The fewer people that have access to your CC information the better, especially for smaller retailers that you cannot personally vet. I have few issues about giving a CC number to Midway. They are a legitimate business that has been around a long time, and is well known for its ethical practcies.

Joe's internet gun accessories store, is not so well known, nor is there any way to vet him properly. Yet he may have some neat stuff at a good price. An intermediary like Gunpal (or Paypal) adds a layer of protection to your tansaction. If the seller starts to be a scam artist, they will just not allow him to accept money anymore.

If you use a CC to fund GP or PP purchases, you have another layer of protection from the CC company. Nothing is perfect, but you have insulated yourself better from a potentially unscrupulous seller.

I am not overjoyed with the idea of having a bank account linked directly to either a PP or GP account, due to the user agreement that allows either entity to take money from your account basically as they see fit, with little that you can do other than beg them to give you the money back. The experience on PP for a lot of sellers is that they never tell you upfront when they take funds from your bank account, and they are extremely reluctant to give it back, and often the reasons for taking the money in the first place are pretty dubious.

If I was going to take either one as payment for any significant amount of moeny, I would set up a bank account to sweep the money into on a regular basis and then transfer it out to an account they have no access to.

BTW, one thing PP has done to some sellers is to try and take money from a bank account in excess of the balance, and then charge the seller a fee because they were unable to take it. In reading the GP user agreement, it appears you have agreed to the same thing in accepting GP.

I am not sure there is a good answer to this problem.

Desert_Rat
11-01-2009, 9:11 PM

Looks like I'm a veteran actor and I died at age 76

tenpercentfirearms
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Looks like I'm a veteran actor and I died at age 76

You misread. You are a veteran actor born in 76.