PDA

View Full Version : Trip to S.D.

tallic68
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
This weekend, my wife and I are taking our first overnight outing with a stay in a hotel since our wedding. The night before our wedding in Vegas, our wedding party was robbed at gun point and one of the wedding party members was shot in the back. This incident was the turning point and we each purchased a hand gun.

My question is, is there anything I should know before our trip this weekend?

I have read a lot of the threads on this forum. I think I have generally educated myself a bit on - Transport, "is it loaded?", a hotel is your hose for the night, ect.. But am no way an expert in any way what so ever.

Im just asking cause this would be the first time we will be leaving the house with our hand guns for more than a trip to the shooting range. Is there any suggestions, tips, do's don'ts that any of you could pass our way.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Purple K
10-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't take the weapons with you unless you are mentally prepared to use them. Don't leave the weapons unattended in your hotel room, not all hotel staff are as trustworthy as you would hope.

Carnivore
10-29-2009, 1:04 AM
Where are you going? Vegas? how are you getting there? will you be site seeing an if so will you be in your own/rental car or are you going to using a taxi etc? Reason I ask is you won't want to leave your gun in the room but you don't want them with you in a taxi/bus etc. If you are not leaving California then you will need to have it locked up when not in your room.

If going out of state make sure you know ALL the rules/laws in the state you are going. No need to have a stay in a jail for your vacation.

If I am going to take my gun with me I am driving as public transportation is just to difficult to carry anything on. I take it with me to the room but put in back in the car every time I leave it. An know what I am getting into with rearguards the laws in the places I will be at. Have fun an be safe.

Cokebottle
10-29-2009, 1:18 AM
Ya... S.D.... San Diego or South Dakota... I'm assuming San Diego since it's a weekend.
If you are planning to cross over into Southern Mexico to do some shopping, leave the guns at home. I wouldn't trust leaving them locked in the car in the parking lot in San Ysidro, and taking a gun into Southern Mexico from Northern Mexico is baaaad news for gringos.

pullnshoot25
10-29-2009, 5:25 AM
Ya... S.D.... San Diego or South Dakota... I'm assuming San Diego since it's a weekend.
If you are planning to cross over into Southern Mexico to do some shopping, leave the guns at home. I wouldn't trust leaving them locked in the car in the parking lot in San Ysidro, and taking a gun into Southern Mexico from Northern Mexico is baaaad news for gringos.

AVOID MEXICO!

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 7:38 AM
In CA: Transport in locked container, unloaded. Unloaded open carry in CA also OK, but risky, need to get educated on law before atttempting.

In Nevada: Loaded transport OK, just not concealed on your person. Open loaded carry, not concealed, OK, but risky on or near the strip.

Hotel room loaded, OK, just like residence in either state.

If you know you are unlikely to be searched, because of your appearance, demeanor, personal habits, lack of criminal record and the type of places you frequent, you may decide the law is unconstitutional. In any case, do not consent to any unwarranted searches of your vehicle. If you conceal, make SURE it's concealed. This is NOT mean to condone any illegal activity. :rolleyes:

tallic68
10-29-2009, 7:43 AM
San Diego, for the weekend, traveling in my truck, some sight seeing, no state or country lines being crossed.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 7:43 AM
Your hotel room is a temporary residence and you can keep a loaded firearm in the room with you. A room safe is adequate when you are not in the room. Firearms are targets for theft, even in a hotel room safe so understand that it is more likely to be stolen there than in your home.

I'd also recommend a door-stop alarm that pushes up against he door from the inside and if anyone opens the door it will touch the door-stop and case the alarm to go off. This may provide you and your wife with a bit of a security blanket to know that the sound will likely distract any assailant long enough for you to grab the gun and will likely even send them out of the room.

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 7:50 AM
I hope your friend recovered? Almost afraid to ask. Where in Vegas did this occur?

Rivers
10-29-2009, 9:05 AM
Get a Center of Mass lock box to keep tethered in your vehicle and to transport from vehicle to room. Keep the pistol fully unloaded inside the COM box, but a loaded magazine may be kept alongside the pistol inside the box. I bought four of them, keyed alike.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

They come with a cable which you can tether the box to something like the seat frame inside your vehicle, or the bed frame in your room. It's something that prevents it from walking away on its own.

On a practical side since you may not get a box in time, buy OC spray for you and your wife. Using spray has a lot fewer legal entanglements than firing a gun in self defense. Of course, it isn't quite the same but many times using OC spray will effectively resolve a situation to your benefit.

OlderThanDirt
10-29-2009, 9:09 AM
Don't shoot the maid. She ony wants to clean you room...