PDA

View Full Version : do we try to "bargain" a deal when buying a gun.

maxwellca21
10-28-2009, 9:54 PM
Hello everyone,

As I was reading on this forum and on gunandgame forum, I always read posts about other guys got special deals with the shop owner for his guns. As for myself, I have always paid the tag price or the sales price for my guns. I have never try to bargain with the gun sales rep like I did with the car salesman. Is it normal or "correct etiquette" to try to "bargain" a deal at gun stores. I would like to know everyone's opinion.

thank you

Stormfeather
10-28-2009, 9:57 PM
If I do alot of business with the place, sometimes if something catches my eye, I will make an offer, if they dont take it, I usually buy it anyways! :) I say a person should usually reserve this for the FFL they primarily give their business to. I found that if a FFL gives me a break/discount on a gun, they usually get my business for at least a year or so! Its my way of supporting them.

chickenfried
10-28-2009, 9:59 PM
Worst thing they can do is say no.

Alexjr1967
10-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Only if you're serious ... As in you have cash/card in hand ready to buy ... Can't hurt to ask ... The worst they can say is no

Deal
10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
At a gun store, if the gun has been sitting there for a while you have much better odds that they would like to turn it to get new stock in.

On Calguns it is the norm but has gotten so bad of late that I believe we are now witnessing the sellers marking up the guns in order to give the expected discount. And the buyer getting wind of this activity is shooting even lower lowball prices right out of the gate. So are ridiculous. Crazy world we live in.

forgiven
10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Only if you're serious ... As in you have cash/card in hand ready to buy ... Can't hurt to ask ... The worst they can say is no

:iagree: No bluffing allowed as you just may be called on it.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
iwill usually pay list. i ask for a discount if i know it was a display model that has been handled. so far 2 for 4 on getting a discount. it was like 10% but every little bit helps.
my 1911 was in package still and the other was my ar lower that ive paid full price for.

Unit74
10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I have spent $3k in the past 6 months in one shop. I asked for a small break on a recent $400 purchase and they just shook their head no.

I would say that if they throw me a bone once in a while, I am more likey to buy more. But on the same hand, the shop has never let me down and always taken care of me so I still will shop there. Service IS worth something these days.....

rcantu
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
no harm asking and if you decide to make an offer and it's accepted be sure to follow threw. i say that for private party deals too.

SNEAKS
10-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I own a business and dont like to wheel and deal with my prices so I dont do it when I want to buy something somewhere else. I figure if I dont like the price I dont have to buy it.

zcrehan
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
For most of the gun stores I visit it seems like the prices are marked up expecting you to bargain... or they are just overpriced... Not sure.

elSquid
10-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Bargaining is okay, as long as you do it in a socially acceptable manner.

"You want $560 for this Glock 19? You're breakin my balls, man... breakin my balls."

-- Michael

RogueSniper
10-29-2009, 1:22 AM
Is there much mark-up on firearms?
I suppose with me, it'll depend on what kind of sale it's going to be: PPT, Used, New, or Consignment. I'll bargain on the PPT, Used or Consignment. If negotiations break down, I'll pay full price but try to get a discount on accessories and ammo. There's huge mark-ups on the add-ons.

Vectrexer
10-29-2009, 2:51 AM
When buying a few items I will always ask for a discount. maybe even on one items if its up there a bit. or when dealing in cash.

no harm in asking. no harm in the seller refusing either.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
To me....anything priced over about $100 is worth trying to negotiate on, especially if you're dealing with the owner or a small company where the owner is readily available.

Worst they can do is say no. It also depends on how bad you want the item, is it something that is rare or can you get it somewhere else and if you're willing to walk away.

SEANZILLA
10-29-2009, 4:23 PM
I will only ask if i know the owner and deal with him all the time..... plus i will only ask if no one else is around :o I dont want other people to hear me ask and try and do it.

DB2
10-29-2009, 5:47 PM
Typically if it's a used gun, I'll try and get the price down. If it is a new gun from their inventory, I don't bother. There is more movement on the price of a used gun vs. A new one.

sfwdiy
10-29-2009, 6:24 PM
I try to bargain on just about everything. I got a $40 CRKT knife for $20 from Big 5 yesterday. They had a few other CRKTs on sale for $20 but not the one I wanted. I asked the manager if he'd do it for me and I got the discount. Never hurts to ask.

--B

Sheepdog1968
10-29-2009, 9:32 PM
There isn't much mark up on guns. Typicall 15 percent with a range of 10 to 20 percent. If I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff at once I might ask for some help. Even then I usually don't. Most shops don't have much profit margin in the firearm. I've found as a regular customer I am well treated on other items or smithing activities where they have a bit more margin. Even in those cases I don't ask. It just happens from time to time and it feels nice. Also, because I don't haggle, I have found the shop I go to to be more trustworthy on advice. There have been several firearms I have wanted but hadn't seen in stock and wanted to order. The owner talked me out of them as they were poor firearms. He doesn't need to do this. Thus it all works out. At the end of the day they have to make a fair living too. Overhead to run a business is expensive.

Rob454
10-29-2009, 9:48 PM
I usually ask for a discount no matter what. Worse that happens is they say no. If I really want it then I just buy it but if im not 100% sure I want it then I see if they discount it. if they say no ah well no skin off my back. if they say yes then I got some money left over to buy some ammo which I usually spoend at the shop while im there anyway.

Mr. Beretta
10-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Like others have mentioned, it doesn't hurt to ask.

But if you do, you better have cash in hand! Leave the plastic in your wallet.

Riodog
10-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Do your homework before you go gun-shopping. It will pay off in the long run.

Browse a few of the on-line gun dealers (Davidson's is my favorite) and find the going prices around your area of the model or whatever you're looking for. While making your rounds and 'fingering ' the merchandise casually ask if they are willing to beat the competitors price and if they are - you got um.

I have gotten to (not naming names-but it starts with a T and ends with a S) many times by going in with a buddy and picking on the counter-clown and then throwing out something like-> " what kind of deal will you make for 2 of that 'whatever' and we'll pay cash right now?" " You have about 2 minutes and make the first offer count."
If it's good, be able to back up your offer with green stuff and you'll be remembered as either a good customer worthy of doing business with, or a bs looky loo that should be shown the door.
It works.
The last episode was a pair of Marlin 45/70's, and damned if they don't kick worse than my long barreled Winchesters. Added the recoil pad a week later cuz I'm getting to be a wus.
lol
Rio

tenpercentfirearms
10-30-2009, 6:34 AM
It is most insulting and bad taste. Always offer to pay 10% more than the listed price if you don't want to insult the shop owner. :eek:

People wheel and deal all the time. Just be realistic about it and actually buy something. I have had guys come in and see a gun for like $600 and then say, "I will give you $400 cash for it right now out the door." LOL! Then they turn around and don't buy anything and never have.

Buy multiple items and ask for a discount. Bring cash and get a discount. Return customers get discounts. Guys who bring in their friends get discounts. Looky Lous who don't buy anything get no discounts.

And don't tell me about the deal your buddy got in here last week unless it was legit. Also don't start off with "I saw it at blank and blank or online for this price." If you saw it there for such a killer deal, then why are you bothering me?

Now if you are a regular customer and you start the conversation out that you want to give me the first shot at something, you might get somewhere.

Being able to wheel and deal is most effectively done when you develop a good relationship with the business owner. You do that buy buying product and not being a pain in the rear.

I have a single customer who lives about 100 miles from me, but has spend nearly $65K at my shop since March 2008! That guy doesn't even ask for deals anymore, I just give them to him. Sometimes he finds better deals elsewhere and says. "Hey, I see you have Armalite AR10 mags for $50, Armalite is selling them for $35 right now." I tell him to save his money where he can and order them from Armalite since that is a smoking deal. Then I sell him everything else for an AR10 he needs at a good price.

It is a relationship.

halifax
10-30-2009, 7:36 AM
I remember when I first started dragging stuff to the gunshows. I marked the items with prices that I thought were fair, "Priced to Sell" as it were. Some people recognized a fair price when they saw it and bought the item. But others still wanted them for less. Then I tried marking the items up to accommodate the bargain hunters but noticed the non-hagglers just walked by.

I went back to the "priced to sell" method and stopped haggling.