PDA

View Full Version : Gun trust/10m airgun at UCSD?

pullnshoot25
10-28-2009, 9:31 PM
So macadelic4 and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a gun trust set up for the UCSD Marksmanship Club so that the Club can acquire target rifles for use at events.

The idea we have is to have the trust held by a someone with longevity (someone like Mike Schwartz, a local gun shop, a willing Calguns member, etc) and the guns will only be used in matches or shooting trips.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Any legal quandaries? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Also, an idea I have been kicking around... barring the whole trust thing, what do you think the chances of getting a 10m air pistol/rifle range put in at school would be? It's an Olympic and Collegiate sport, way safer than any contact sport and it is just air pistols and way more practical to get younger students involved due to dorm storage issues, etc.

CalNRA
10-29-2009, 12:43 AM
I think UC dorms also ban air guns.
http://marshall.ucsd.edu/res-life/policies.html#Guns
Guns

State law prohibits firearms on all property belonging to the Regents of the University of California. You may NOT have a handgun or rifle in your possession, even if it is registered. University police will confiscate any firearm(s) that come to their attention. University police will hold a firearm for you until you make provision to store it off campus. The possession and/or discharge of BB guns, pellet guns, air guns, sling shots, knives, M-80s, lethal weapons in any form (including martial arts equipment) is strictly prohibited. Live ammunition cannot be delivered to your campus address. Refer to the Student Conduct Code this link leads to another website http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial/

Best of luck getting permission from the chancellor to allow discharging of air guns on school property.

pullnshoot25
10-29-2009, 6:28 AM
I think UC dorms also ban air guns.
http://marshall.ucsd.edu/res-life/policies.html#Guns

Best of luck getting permission from the chancellor to allow discharging of air guns on school property.

I know that dorms ban airguns. However, airguns are far more innocuous than .22cal rifles and perhaps there is a way to store them on campus.

We shall see what happens or even if I ever ask.

Also, only one post? Really?

dantodd
10-29-2009, 6:42 AM
SD does nothing for me but it would be great to have a CHEAP airrange nearby. My city prevents air gun discharge so I can't even plink in the backyard. It would be way more kid friendly than a range with firearms going off.

ETD1010
10-29-2009, 9:43 AM
Guns

State law prohibits firearms on all property belonging to the Regents of the University of California. You may NOT have a handgun or rifle in your possession, even if it is registered. University police will confiscate any firearm(s) that come to their attention. University police will hold a firearm for you until you make provision to store it off campus. The possession and/or discharge of BB guns, pellet guns, air guns, sling shots, knives, M-80s, lethal weapons in any form (including martial arts equipment) is strictly prohibited. Live ammunition cannot be delivered to your campus address. Refer to the Student Conduct Code this link leads to another website http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial/

how do they cut their steaks!?

tetris
10-29-2009, 7:01 PM
how do they cut their steaks!?

They don't eat steaks! :eek: They eat Whole Foods vegan patties approved for uber-liberal UC faculty and administrators and force fed to students at lunch.

Davidwhitewolf
10-29-2009, 7:10 PM
You might already have a range... Does UCSD have a ROTC range hidden away? The one at UC Davis was tucked into what looked like a trailer (but wasn't) behind the law school. Completely unknown to everybody except shooters (because if most of my law school class had known it existed, there'd have been protests).:rolleyes:

formerTexan
10-29-2009, 7:13 PM
You may need to store your air rifles at the UCSD Police station/range (if they have one). The UC Bezerkeley Army ROTC marksmanship team stores their .22 rifles at the UCB PD's own underground range, as well as hold their practices there. Granted, thats ROTC, and not a general membership club, so YMMV at UCSD.

hawk84
10-29-2009, 7:55 PM
yet there is an open archery range on campus.............................

HCz
10-29-2009, 9:00 PM
You may need to store your air rifles at the UCSD Police station/range (if they have one). The UC Bezerkeley Army ROTC marksmanship team stores their .22 rifles at the UCB PD's own underground range, as well as hold their practices there. Granted, thats ROTC, and not a general membership club, so YMMV at UCSD.

This probably is the way to go. My old college had similar provisions. The problem was that the guns can be checked out only during when an officer(Lt. for my campus) was on the clock.

Easier thing to do is to get a range outside of campus and store it there. A lot less hassle.