PDA

View Full Version : Follow Calguns Foundation on Twitter - http://twitter.com/CalgunsFdn

oaklander
10-28-2009, 6:53 PM
There's over 30,000 CGN members, but only about 130 people following The Calguns Foundation. FAIL - please visit http://twitter.com/CalgunsFdn and follow us!!!

I'm one of the tweeters for the account, and we don't SPAM, and try to only tweet good stuff. . .

If you've never tried Twitter - check it out - it's a good way to stay on top of stuff - often faster than the MSM.

AndrewMendez
10-28-2009, 7:09 PM
I am one of the 130!
I have received nothing but good tweets!
If you dont have a Twitter, you need to get one!

7x57
10-28-2009, 7:11 PM
So this is more pressure for me to end my lonely, quiet resistance against web 2.0? :chris:

7x57

oaklander
10-28-2009, 7:19 PM
LOL, I thought you were still using Gopher and Pine!

So this is more pressure for me to end my lonely, quiet resistance against web 2.0? :chris:

7x57

QuarterBoreGunner
10-28-2009, 7:29 PM
What no love for Fido?

7x57
10-28-2009, 7:36 PM

Pine sucks. Mutt for all your character-based mailer needs, obviously. :D

Gopher--that goes back.

Say, where are the *real* communication tools--#calguns IRC channel, Calguns mud, alt.politics.guns.calguns newsgroup, anon ftp server to exchange legal briefs....

:D

7x57

oaklander
10-28-2009, 7:38 PM
CGF MUD would be creepy!

Pine sucks. Mutt for all your character-based mailer needs, obviously. :D

Gopher--that goes back.

Say, where are the *real* communication tools--#calguns IRC channel, Calguns mud, alt.politics.guns.calguns newsgroup, anon ftp server to exchange legal briefs....

:D

7x57

halifax
10-28-2009, 7:39 PM
Since I didn't understand half of what you guys are talking about; I think I'll just stick with CGN. Thanks tho.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-28-2009, 7:43 PM
I thought there was a #calguns IRC channel?

oaklander
10-28-2009, 7:44 PM
Yup. Old skool.

I thought there was a #calguns IRC channel?

CHS
10-28-2009, 7:48 PM

Hey! I *AM* still using pine.

Every.
Single.
DAY.

I still haven't found an email reader that's any better.

7x57
10-28-2009, 7:49 PM
CGF MUD would be creepy!

Nah. We could all carry our favorite guns, and perhaps build actual adventure space where one could combat Mayor Bloomberg, Richard Daley, and their minions. What's creepy about that? :confused:

Er, maybe people who think of stuff like that.... :chris:

7x57

QuarterBoreGunner
10-28-2009, 7:49 PM
y'all making me nostalgic.

7x57
10-28-2009, 7:51 PM

Every.
Single.
DAY.

I still haven't found an email reader that's any better.

My son, your soul can still be saved. Mutt is the answer you crave, and though the initial configuration be painful, the result shall be the peace and productivity your heart yearns for.

7x57

oaklander
10-28-2009, 7:52 PM
This thread geeked out pretty fast. Partially my fault. . .

LOL

7x57
10-28-2009, 7:54 PM
This thread geeked out pretty fast. Partially my fault. . .

Partially? :p

7x57

trashman
10-28-2009, 7:58 PM

Every.
Single.
DAY.

That would imply that you're still using Pico....7x57 is right, Mutt is the Way and the Light of mailreaders. Unless of course you just use vi*, which would, ... better.

--Neill

*and this does not include Vim for you young punks who like colors and crap.

CHS
10-28-2009, 7:58 PM
My son, your soul can still be saved. Mutt is the answer you crave, and though the initial configuration be painful, the result shall be the peace and productivity your heart yearns for.

Nope. Pine :)

However, I'm totally with you on the whole web 2.0 thing. It's like the web we're used to, but without corners and usually missing a vowel or two.

madmike
10-28-2009, 8:00 PM
I follow CGF(and nothing else) on twiter. Always good up to the minute info.

-madmike.

rbgaynor
10-28-2009, 8:01 PM
I've been following for a while now - it's a great resource.

AndrewMendez
10-28-2009, 8:08 PM
Since I didn't understand half of what you guys are talking about; I think I'll just stick with CGN. Thanks tho.

Come on its super easy!!

Go to Twitter.com and create a User Name and Password, then click on the link for CGF and click "follow." Then every time they update it shows up on your page. If you want to set it up to get text messages on your phone, it will ask you when you 1st start, if you want to use your cell. So you put in the number, and you will get a message from 40404. So go to the people your following, and there is an option to add SMS Alerts, which are the text messages every time CGF Post something.

Did I help or confuse you more?

trashman
10-28-2009, 8:09 PM
CGF MUD would be creepy awesome!

Fixed it for you!

On another note, I actually have a core crabbiness about BBS's in general...their resurrection (in Internet form) from dialup-direct-to-BBS-days after the rise of Usenet seemed to me to be only a tool for folks who couldn't figure out how to use commandline UUCP tools. And that was something of a ... uh, ... nice self-selection bias.

It also irks the living nerd-crap out of me that what should be a newsgroup is indexed very quickly by search engines -- so that in the case of the recent unfortunate demonstration by Zeleny (http://larvatus.livejournal.com/10654.html)in front of Cisco, and the resulting discussion here, now is inextricably linked to Calguns.net when anybody searches the Internet for the topics of interest to him (http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=erin+zhu+sexual+abuse&start=0&num=30&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&filter=0).

--Neill

halifax
10-29-2009, 4:56 AM
Come on its super easy!!

Go to Twitter.com and create a User Name and Password, then click on the link for CGF and click "follow." Then every time they update it shows up on your page. If you want to set it up to get text messages on your phone, it will ask you when you 1st start, if you want to use your cell. So you put in the number, and you will get a message from 40404. So go to the people your following, and there is an option to add SMS Alerts, which are the text messages every time CGF Post something.

Did I help or confuse you more?

Well your post does seem to be in English :)

I just don't think I need to be that up-to-date. I find my cell phone to be enough of an annoyance as it is.

Thanks for the translation though.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 6:04 AM

Good old gopher. One of my first Internet projects was building a WAIS for my local ISP. It took a couple years to more from elm to pine but it was much easier, especially after going from vi to a curses based editor.

7x57
10-29-2009, 6:04 AM
Nope. Pine :)

Sigh. Like you I once was, paduan. Used pine exclusively I did. Forced a change eventually pico and systems without pine did. Painful the initial configuration was, but afterwards enlightened I was.

However, I'm totally with you on the whole web 2.0 thing. It's like the web we're used to, but without corners and usually missing a vowel or two.

Yes, but the pressure keeps mounting. It's mostly the social networking sites that bug me, but I fear someday the dam will break, and once I start using one I'll give in and be on them all. :( In fact, I'm afraid I sense my self nearing the breaking point already. :mad:

It's tough to walk the line between uber-geek and crabby greybeard. :chris:

<rant>
Electrons. With kids these days it's all about electrons. This whole web thingy is nothing but a bunch of electrons. Why, in my day the only fermions we had were neutrinos, and we could only get those by gathering them out of the heart of a supernova. Our family was so poor we only had one, and we could only afford a crappy mass eigenstate that oscillated between flavors so we never knew if it was going to be an electron, muon, or tau neutrino.
</rant>

There, that should separate the uber-geeks from the mere wanna-be geeks. :43:

7x57

dantodd
10-29-2009, 6:06 AM
Unless of course you just use vi*, which would,

we always had two camps on campus, those that said "vi" and those that said "v-i"

7x57
10-29-2009, 6:08 AM
we always had two camps on campus, those that said "vi" and those that said "v-i"

I assume you ruthlessly eliminated the former as good taste and decency requires, right? :43:

7x57

dantodd
10-29-2009, 6:12 AM
I assume you ruthlessly eliminated the former as good taste and decency requires, right? :43:

7x57

I guess we're on the same side! it was always v-i for me but I've found myself slipping in old age as I haven't used v-i in close to a decade for anything actually useful.

pullnshoot25
10-29-2009, 7:33 AM
Wait, there is a CGN IRC channel? Who has the address so I can put it into pidgin?

hoffmang
10-29-2009, 9:20 PM
cat /var/spool/mail/hoffmang

Learn to read MIME-64 you wusses :p

-Gene

dantodd
10-29-2009, 9:28 PM
at least use more (or less) no one can read THAT fast.

hoffmang
10-29-2009, 9:35 PM
at least use more (or less) no one can read THAT fast.

ok, ok.. | less

-Gene

oaklander
10-29-2009, 11:25 PM
irc://irc.vbulletin-chat.com/calguns

Wait, there is a CGN IRC channel? Who has the address so I can put it into pidgin?

dantodd
10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
irc://irc.vbulletin-chat.com/calguns

never knew that existed.

artherd
10-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Good old gopher.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/not_enough_work.png

artherd
10-30-2009, 12:48 AM
ok, ok.. | less

-Gene

I thought this was the realtime web...

tail -f /gv/san/mail/geovario.com/ben/INBOX

dantodd
10-30-2009, 10:53 AM
tail -f /gv/san/mail/geovario.com/ben/INBOX

niiiiiiice.

oaklander
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Ha!

The doomsday line:

rm -r *

niiiiiiice.

dantodd
10-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Ha!

The doomsday line:

rm -rf *

FYP

oaklander
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
LOL - no wonder my plan to take over the world failed!

FYP

strangerdude
10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not down with this tweet, facebook, stuff. Find it a waste of time.

7x57
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, what was this thread about?

Let's see. You were going to set us up a Calguns MUD, bdsmchs (ever notice you can re-arrange that to BSDSCHeMe?--I think he's secretly a Scheme programmer on a version of Berkeley unix so ancient he was limited to seven characters) was resisting a righteous conversion from the pagan darkness of Pine to the Enlightened freedom of Mutt, Ben was schooling Gene in unix command-line-fu, and I was about to point out to you that it isn't really doomsday until you do 'sudo rm -rf /'.

I think that basically covers it. It's great that you start these fun geek threads for us. But when are you going to let the board know about Calguns and social networking? :cool2:

7x57

oaklander
10-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Hmmm. . .

Well - here's what we have so far:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Calguns-Foundation/109382554741

Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalgunsFdn

Homepage (which is actually a BLOG): http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/

I've succeeded in linking our homepage to twitter - this means if you follow us on twitter, you automatically get tweets any time we update our homepage!!!

Linking our homepage to Facebook is a little more tricky, since you have to be the page owner to do it (and that would be Ben) and he's been busy with GunPal. . . So I haven't wanted to bug him.

:)

Let's see. You were going to set us up a Calguns MUD, bdsmchs (ever notice you can re-arrange that to BSDSCHeMe?--I think he's secretly a Scheme programmer on a version of Berkeley unix so ancient he was limited to seven characters) was resisting a righteous conversion from the pagan darkness of Pine to the Enlightened freedom of Mutt, Ben was schooling Gene in unix command-line-fu, and I was about to point out to you that it isn't really doomsday until you do 'sudo rm -rf /'.

I think that basically covers it. It's great that you start these fun geek threads for us. But when are you going to let the board know about Calguns and social networking? :cool2:

7x57