PDA

View Full Version : FFL Dealer in a HOA

Sig357
10-28-2009, 5:41 PM
I will be checking with my HOA, but is it possible to obtain my FFL in a gated community?

Thanks,

Rick

tenpercentfirearms
10-28-2009, 9:28 PM
That is up to your HOA. Once you figure out if they allow it, then it is up to your local business license issuing agency. With so many and with so many being different, you have to go ask.

There is no way for anyone on this board to answer your question accurately. You are going to have to find out for yourself.

Cokebottle
10-28-2009, 9:42 PM
:iagree:

It's going to depend on what's in your CC&Rs with respect to business operations out of your home, be it a condo or detached homes.

Beyond that, you have the municipal zoning ordinances to deal with.
Of course, this depends on what category of FFL you seek.

If there is nothing in the CC&Rs restricting home businesses, and your intended business is within zoning regulations, but the HOA gives you grief because it happens to be a firearms-related business, then it's time to make some phone calls.
The HOA has the duty to enforce the CC&Rs and no more.

Sig357
10-29-2009, 5:26 AM
Thanks guys. I will check with my HOA first. If it's okay with them, then I will check on the business license.

tenpercentfirearms
10-29-2009, 5:36 AM
Thanks guys. I will check with my HOA first. If it's okay with them, then I will check on the business license.

Perfect! Good luck.

Cokebottle
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I would get a copy of the CC&Rs (you should have been given one when you closed escrow) and see what the written rules are for home-business before even talking to the HOA.
The board may just give you a flat "no" if the majority of members are anti-gun, but if the CC&Rs have no restriction on the particular type of business/FFL class that you intend to get, then I don't see how the HOA would have legal grounds for denial.

OTOH, even if they are wrong, boards can make life difficult for you if you fight and win, and they're sometimes good at treading the legal line to avoid harassment claims.

Not knowing what type of FFL you are applying for, assuming you are planning a gunsmithing business (since I can't imagine a "retail" gun shop out of a residence), my only concern with it being a gated community would be customer access through the guard booth.
Even if there is no restriction in the CC&Rs on home-business, there may be restrictions on the number and frequency of guests. OTOH, you can always offer pick-up/delivery service.

lewdogg21
11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I would get a copy of the CC&Rs (you should have been given one when you closed escrow) and see what the written rules are for home-business before even talking to the HOA.
The board may just give you a flat "no" if the majority of members are anti-gun, but if the CC&Rs have no restriction on the particular type of business/FFL class that you intend to get, then I don't see how the HOA would have legal grounds for denial.

OTOH, even if they are wrong, boards can make life difficult for you if you fight and win, and they're sometimes good at treading the legal line to avoid harassment claims.

Not knowing what type of FFL you are applying for, assuming you are planning a gunsmithing business (since I can't imagine a "retail" gun shop out of a residence), my only concern with it being a gated community would be customer access through the guard booth.
Even if there is no restriction in the CC&Rs on home-business, there may be restrictions on the number and frequency of guests. OTOH, you can always offer pick-up/delivery service.

Good advice. Know what the rules are before you even go ask. I'm on an HOA board and it's amazing how freaking stupid and idiotic some of the people on boards are and can be. In our HOA you can't run a businesses out of your home and being guns I'm sure our President would go nuts over this b/c it's guns.

Good luck.