PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 4:33 PM
Bad news, people. I got a ticket for shooting a 22 in a wildlife area. The amount is $1142. Should I try to go to court and take a lawyer? Is there any chance to bring this amount down? I mean I am just a poor student and this is a BIG chunk of cash for me :(

Check post #80 for an update.

Unit74
10-28-2009, 4:35 PM
Were you hunting or something? What is the violation code?

bballwizard05
10-28-2009, 4:37 PM
holy shizzle!! your better off getting a DUI (not really but I heard there only a 1000 bucks). But yea more details about the ticket may help

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 4:38 PM
Were you hunting or something? What is the violation code?

No, just shooting paper targets. CCRT- 14551 (q)(36)(A) - possession and use of a rifle in a wildlife area. I don't know why it's THAT big when I was not hunting anything.

B Strong
10-28-2009, 4:44 PM
No, just shooting paper targets. CCRT- 14551 (q)(36)(A) - possession and use of a rifle in a wildlife area. I don't know why it's THAT big when I was not hunting anything.

Get a lawyer.

Just walking into court and telling the judge that you can't ubderstand why the fine is so high won't get you anywhere.

At least get the fine knocked down a bit and get a payment plan.

Best of luck.

Super Spy
10-28-2009, 4:49 PM
If your poor you may qualify for a public defender, who may plea the thing down to something cheaper. I assume it's a misdemeanor not an infraction? If so and your poor the public defenders office may help.

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 4:53 PM
Thanks for advices. It is a misdemeanor and it has no effect on criminal records or insurance or anything. I just called and no one was there, but the machine told me that since Jan 1, 2009, they make NO payment plans......

stix213
10-28-2009, 5:08 PM
Thanks for advices. It is a misdemeanor and it has no effect on criminal records or insurance or anything. I just called and no one was there, but the machine told me that since Jan 1, 2009, they make NO payment plans......

Sorry but that doesn't make sense.... By definition if you are convicted of a misdemeanor it will be on your criminal record as a misdemeanor conviction. Not a felony still, but still a crime. Criminal records are just a list of all the felonies and misdemeanors attributed to you, so being that you say its a misdemeanor it will affect your criminal record. Am I missing something here?

Where was this at anyway?

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 5:12 PM
Sorry but that doesn't make sense.... By definition if you are convicted of a misdemeanor it will be on your criminal record as a misdemeanor conviction. Not a felony still, but still a crime. Criminal records are just a list of all the felonies and misdemeanors attributed to you, so being that you say its a misdemeanor it will affect your criminal record. Am I missing something here?

Where was this at anyway?

Well, I mean it is not a felony or anything super serious. It was in Sacramento Bypass Wildlife Area.

CHS
10-28-2009, 5:29 PM
Why did you think it was ok to shoot in a wildlife area?

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 5:34 PM
Why did you think it was ok to shoot in a wildlife area?

Because it is OK to hunt there. They posted a sign in the middle of nowhere saying that only shellshots are OK, but I never saw it. The group of signs at the entrance didn't say anything. In fact, I saw a plenty of BULLET holes out there.

CHS
10-28-2009, 5:38 PM
Because it is OK to hunt there. They posted a sign in the middle of nowhere saying that only shellshots are OK, but I never saw it. The group of signs at the entrance didn't say anything. In fact, I saw a plenty of BULLET holes out there.

There are tons of places where it's legal to hunt, but not legal to plink.

00BuckShot
10-28-2009, 5:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the violation. CA has a bunch of stupid laws. Can't hunt here with that, then but it's OK anyother time. You have to know what areas are Shotgun Only and what aren't. Ignorance is no excuse. Get an attorney, that's my only advice.

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 5:42 PM
I have already learned my lesson and haters can keep their hate to themselves. thanks for advices tho

forgiven
10-28-2009, 6:09 PM
Good luck and try hard not to let this affect you when it comes to shooting sports. How was the officers behavior? Since you have had time to recollect did the officer offer you any wiggle room? I'm just curious and I'm saddened for you.

B.D.Dubloon
10-28-2009, 6:16 PM
Wow. That's a hefty chunk of cash. It is always a good idea to be sure it is okay to shoot where you are shooting (obviously).

Sorry to hear you got dinged.

forgiven
10-28-2009, 6:23 PM
Yeah, that really is a lot of money.

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 6:25 PM
Good luck and try hard not to let this affect you when it comes to shooting sports. How was the officers behavior? Since you have had time to recollect did the officer offer you any wiggle room? I'm just curious and I'm saddened for you.

One of the officers acted normal. I mean he understands that 22 is a 22, but the other one just seemed to be freaked out about guns. they told me to walk towards them and I did so with the gun pointed to the sky, and he says over the loudspeaker "dont point the gun at us". Ok..... then he takes the rifle, briefly searches me, takes the magazine and goes to the truck. after about 15 minutes of waiting, he comes back with the ticket. Stops like 5 feet away from me and keeps looking at me every second and explains all the rules and bla bla. Then comes a little closer and gives me the ticket while standing like 2-3 feel away. Then the other one gives me back the rifle. I was pointing it to the ground and asked a couple of basic questions and instead of answering any, he goes "dont point the gun at me". ok.... grabs it again and says "open the rear door of the car". I opened it and he almost threw it there and said "I will let you deal with it". Then he started walking towards the car when I asked about the magazine. He slowly walked back and spent like 3 minutes searching a single magazine in his pocket. Then walked away facing me.... :confused: I mean I know that officers get shot time to time, but I do not wear any ghetto clothing, have no tatoos or anything. Oh and did I say that ALL I had on me was a .22 rifle when he had a massive body armor vest sticking out of his uniform? I almost wanted to say "get a new job if you fear guns to death". Oh well...

luckystrike
10-28-2009, 6:31 PM
One of the officers acted normal. I mean he understands that 22 is a 22, but the other one just seemed to be freaked out about guns. they told me to walk towards them and I did so with the gun pointed to the sky, and he says over the loudspeaker "dont point the gun at us". Ok..... then he takes the rifle, briefly searches me, takes the magazine and goes to the truck. after about 15 minutes of waiting, he comes back with the ticket. Stops like 5 feet away from me and keeps looking at me every second and explains all the rules and bla bla. Then comes a little closer and gives me the ticket while standing like 2-3 feel away. Then the other one gives me back the rifle. I was pointing it to the ground and asked a couple of basic questions and instead of answering any, he goes "dont point the gun at me". ok.... grabs it again and says "open the rear door of the car". I opened it and he almost threw it there and said "I will let you deal with it". Then he started walking towards the car when I asked about the magazine. He slowly walked back and spent like 3 minutes searching a single magazine in his pocket. Then walked away facing me.... :confused: I mean I know that officers get shot time to time, but I do not wear any ghetto clothing, have no tatoos or anything. Oh and did I say that ALL I had on me was a .22 rifle when he had a massive body armor vest sticking out of his uniform? I almost wanted to say "get a new job if you fear guns to death". Oh well...

forest service or sheriff?

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 6:36 PM
forest service or sheriff?

Fish and game.

ChrisSF
10-28-2009, 6:37 PM
You could be the last person they see on the planet. They would treat anyone with a gun the same way. At least I would.

See if you can protest, gather up some photos of where you were at, posted signs, any gun safety classes. Then show him your grades ;) your major, and that you are a broke college student. Usually they cut down the fine. And can work something out if are you broke broke.

forgiven
10-28-2009, 6:38 PM
Sure sounds like it was TENSE. Man, I would of been freaked with all that "don't point the rifle at me talk".

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 6:45 PM
Sure sounds like it was TENSE. Man, I would of been freaked with all that "don't point the rifle at me talk".

Yea, I was pretty tensed about it. I mean its not like I pointed it at anybody....

luckystrike
10-28-2009, 6:46 PM
Fish and game.

oh that figures. they see no action and get a woody for stuff like that.
they have represented themselves the same way to me and anyone ive talked to. and now one more person.
only I can discribe it is what I call "Barney Fife syndrome" :)

forgiven
10-28-2009, 6:49 PM
I'm shocked that it was Fish&Game as I've had many run ins with them over the years, although it was during hunting or fishing. They checked my weapons, licenses, but were always professional and for the most part, cordial. The one thing I always did though was open the action of my gun and sat it on the ground out of arms reach. They seemed to appreciated the gesture.

SimpleCountryActuary
10-28-2009, 6:54 PM
There are tons of places where it's legal to hunt, but not legal to plink.

Hunting versus plinking seems to me a matter of intent and whether you hit the deer. If you obtain a hunting license and "hunt" in the proper area at the proper time, who's to say a tree didn't just leap out and provide cover for the deer?

Plus, I don't recall there ever being a limit on squirrel season.

luckystrike
10-28-2009, 7:07 PM
I'm shocked that it was Fish&Game as I've had many run ins with them over the years, although it was during hunting or fishing. They checked my weapons, licenses, but were always professional and for the most part, cordial. The one thing I always did though was open the action of my gun and sat it on the ground out of arms reach. They seemed to appreciated the gesture.
never really herd of a nuetral encounter with them before...

bomb_on_bus
10-28-2009, 7:16 PM
WOW sounds like you were the first bit of action these guys have had out side of each other that is.

Must have caught them on a bad day and yeah it sucks about the no payment plan CA is trying to get out of debt one ridiculous ticket at a time.

Vinz
10-28-2009, 8:26 PM

that's just common firearms courtesy. Remove mag, open chamber clear and place on the ground.

vinz

CFV
10-28-2009, 8:32 PM
Aren't fish and game officers armed? Were their weapons drawn on you?

resident-shooter
10-28-2009, 8:40 PM
Aren't fish and game officers armed? Were their weapons drawn on you?

They are armed but since I calmly waled towards them holding mag and gun in different hands, they didn't draw anything on me. As I said, one of them was calm, confident, professionally acting. The second one was...... I dono. He just seemed very scared of something. It is weird. Oh and bolt of the rifle was open.

Sky_DiveR
10-28-2009, 9:44 PM
Sorry to hear of your run-in with DFG. If there were two of them, one was a rookie.... most likely the one who approached you and did the work. The training officer probably didn't say much and just stood there looking cool but still covering you and whoever else was with you. Did you by any chance happen to be shooting behind the CHP academy? There's been incidences in the past of people shooting at cars on the high speed track. Usually the DFG officers run the serial numbers and let you go with a warning. You musta got a "ROOKIE". Sometimes I see LEO rookies act pretty gung-ho also. Would make me laugh if they weren't writing me a ticket.

1943 DOT
10-28-2009, 11:57 PM
that sucks :mad:
i got a ticket for shooting a tree on blm land.
it was 250. it was totally ridiculous.

johnrunner89
10-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Sucks, my only advice is to pay the $10 (or whatever the fee is) and shoot at an actual range next time.

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Sucks, my only advice is to pay the $10 (or whatever the fee is) and shoot at an actual range next time.

Try $1,000.

tenpercentfirearms
10-29-2009, 5:33 AM
Try $1,000.

He means the $10 to shoot at a range, not the $1000 fine. Unless you go to some expensive gun ranges.

rolo
10-29-2009, 7:19 AM
This is now a Fish and Game encounter story thread.

All of my negative encounters with LEO's have been with DFG officers. I had two yahoos kayak through my line on the American River, put in right on top of me, and ask me where the other rod was. One claimed he saw me throw the other rod into the bushes. I only brought one rod. He tried to give me grief about the hooks I still had in my creel from an earlier fishing trip, they still had the barb on them. I told him that if he hadn't cut my line when he came in, he would have seen that the barb had been filed off and I pointed to the file I keep on paracord hanging from my creel. They were so anxious to get something on me, he said it didn't look like I was as tall as my license said I was. When I offered to go up to my truck to get a tape measure, they finally got back into their kayaks and left.

Another incident had a female DFG officer come up to where we were parked waiting for a campground to open on opening weekend for trout. We just happened to have brought out a portable grill and were making hamburgers because the camp host was still nowhere to be found and the day was getting on. She slammed her brakes, parked in the middle of the road and came running up on us with her hand on her pistol yelling that we couldn't camp there. We pointed to the closed gate at the campground their website said was open for the season and told her what we were waiting for. She said we needed to move along. When we pointed out that we were as high as you could go before getting to the closed gates at the top of the pass, end of the road so to speak, she said we needed to turn around and leave. When it was pointed out that the sign we parked under said "Overflow Parking" she finally left. She wasn't done though. She came back several times, once with backup, shaking her head at us the entire time, until the camp host finally showed up and let us in.

DFG seemed to become filled with morons sometime around 86-88. I'd never had a problem or heard of a problem with them that wasn't justified prior to that.

five.five-six
10-29-2009, 7:28 AM
Another incident had a female DFG officer come up to where we were parked waiting for a campground to open on opening

was she HawT?

rolo
10-29-2009, 7:33 AM
Hard to tell with that stupid hat that looked three sizes too large and the ballistic vest that turned her into the stay-puft marshmallow man. The only part of her I could see from my height was her ponytail and hands. They were well manicured, but shaking a little too much for my taste. She needed to use a better conditioner too.

resident-shooter
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
^ Ok, now this thread grew into a discussion of female officers and how sexy they look...

Anyways, I just called the court and they said I do NOT have to pay before the court date as the letter said and unlike the answering machine said, payment plans are still available. Whew....

Greg-Dawg
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Lesson learned: Double check the place you're going to to shoot.

WeekendWarrior
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
WWRTW

paintballergb
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
You can receive a public defender for a misdemeanor.

Chris M
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/sacramentobypass.html

Sacramento Bypass Wildlife Area - Yolo County
Location: Yolo County - approximately 4 miles west of Sacramento on west side of Sacramento River.

Area Regulations:
* No Rifles, pistols, or archery equipment may be used or possessed; shot shells only, no buckshot or slugs

truthseeker
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Was it Adam Kraft?

If so, I have dealt with him multiple times about dog training on live birds.

I know he is a new game warden that graduated about 1-2 years ago from "game warden" school. That may be why he was so concerned about you having a rifle.

Just recently (I have posted a thread about my experiences with him), he was telling me and a buddy that we cannot use live birds out of the open hunting season for the bird (pheasant). However Section 677 Title 14 of the CCR says while dog training I CAN use live birds year round as long as they are domesticated/pen raised birds and that they have a streamer on them.

I have already quoted Section 677 Title 14 of the California Code of Regulations, but he stills says if he sees us out there he will ticket us.

Good luck!

resident-shooter
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
No, its a different officer.

Beelzy
10-29-2009, 2:10 PM
Just go to court, get the Public Defender and go before the Judge speaking
your best Spanish.

That fine will drop like a rock, been there and seen it myself.

five.five-six
10-29-2009, 2:25 PM
^ Ok, now this thread grew into a discussion of female officers and how sexy they look...

well, if we must

http://www.costume-shop.com/images/products/rm1368.jpg

resident-shooter
10-29-2009, 3:06 PM
yea, I will get a public defender and that pic is more photochopped than playboy pics.

paul0660
10-29-2009, 3:22 PM
ust go to court, get the Public Defender and go before the Judge speaking
your best Spanish.

Good one.........for the OP, go in, plead poverty and ignorance (the internet doesn't count, and if it wasn't posted that does count). Bring photos of the signage. Bid at a quarter of the fine, settle for half.

LesGrossman41510
10-29-2009, 3:54 PM
thats why i go to the NATIONAL forest!!

If i ever get questioned im hunting squirrels and my aim sucks...LOL

Spyder
10-29-2009, 7:32 PM
woops...

m1aowner
10-29-2009, 7:49 PM
Sorry to hear. Let us know what happens.

forgiven
10-29-2009, 8:04 PM
Just go to court, get the Public Defender and go before the Judge speaking
your best Spanish.

Me too!

forgiven
10-29-2009, 8:05 PM
well, if we must

http://www.costume-shop.com/images/products/rm1368.jpg

I WOULD resist arrest.:D

resident-shooter
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Yea, national forests..... I would rather pay $40 for range membership for a year and then pay $2 every time I go there. :punk:

SickofSoCal
10-30-2009, 3:22 AM
Fish and game.

Fish & Gayme have been out in force this year!

Where were you at? Was this inside the National Forest?

Purple K
10-30-2009, 4:36 AM
Fish and game.

Any Dept. of Fish & Game Officer that is that uncomfortable dealing with armed citizens is NOT going to be a Game Warden for very long. All hunters and a lot of fishermen are armed....... GEEZ!

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2009, 11:10 PM

Did they ask for a hunting license? I was told if you shoot on BLM or wildlife areas, you have to have a hunting license even if you are not hunting.

goldleviathan
10-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Did they ask for a hunting license? I was told if you shoot on BLM or wildlife areas, you have to have a hunting license even if you are not hunting.

Where did you hear you needed a hunting license for target shooting on BLM land? Here is the official information from the California BLM website: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/hunting.html There is no mention of that requirement.

resident-shooter
10-31-2009, 6:53 AM
You do not need a license unless u hunt. I was not hunting, so they did not fine me for that.

joepamjohn
10-31-2009, 7:07 AM
Get a lawyer.

Just walking into court and telling the judge that you can't ubderstand why the fine is so high won't get you anywhere.

At least get the fine knocked down a bit and get a payment plan.

Best of luck.

Yeah. Get a lawyer and pay him 5 times what your fine is to fight it. Since this is not a criminal case you will never get a DA to represent you. The signs with bullet holes in them just make it worse for the guy they do catch there. It sucks but that is just the way it is.

audihenry
10-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Can't you just argue you were hunting and had set up temporary targets to sight in or something?

RobG
10-31-2009, 1:21 PM
Well, I mean it is not a felony or anything super serious. It was in Sacramento Bypass Wildlife Area.

Dude there are signs that state shotguns/shotshells only all over that place. There is also the check station down the road that could have saved you a heap of trouble.

Pay the fine unless you think you could hire an attorney for less than 1142.00.

m98
10-31-2009, 1:42 PM
You got screwed like me and my buddies back when I was still a kid. We were out playing paintball in a wildlife area and dfg showed up and gave us tickets for "having a propulsive device in wildlife area". A friggin d*ckhead, we were just kids playing paintball, should of just gave us a warning and to leave. The area has been used to play pball in the last 10+yrs by other pball players and that's how we knew of the area.:(:(

Our fines were 300bucks for Really Doing nothing wrong other than WHatever this States pathetic Lawmakers had put down on paper. There's just a thin line between Laws that have been broken and ethical calls by any warden/leo.

But I think in the OP's case, he's really screwd and would probably just need to pay the fine. If I remember correctly in the dfg handbook, it specifically states that no centerfire or Rifle firearms are allowed in the wildlife areas. And that pretty much includes any 22lr, pistols, rifles.

pieeater
10-31-2009, 2:03 PM
Like the others said get an attorney. I know a good one that is 400 an hour let him spend a couple hours researching and a couple more going to court with you.

pieeater
10-31-2009, 2:09 PM
I love all the "this states screwed up laws comment" im sure its ok to target shoot in other states WAs. I mean they call them wildlife areas for a reason.
Something that is posted "state wildlife area" all over it dont ya think maybe their are some rules. Maybe you should check before you target shoot, dirt bike, cut firewood etc.

CHS
10-31-2009, 2:18 PM
Like the others said get an attorney. I know a good one that is 400 an hour let him spend a couple hours researching and a couple more going to court with you.

The OP's ticket was 1100-something.

You just told him he should spend 1600 on an attorney?

RobG
10-31-2009, 2:36 PM

I aint no math wiz buts I come up wit da same ting:p

For 1142 it isn't worth paying for an atty. Even if you only paid 600 for the atty, there is no guarantee that the fine would be reduced. And if it was reduced even by half, you are still more than the original fine. Pony up cowboy. Maybe some CGers can help you out; got any guns to sell;)

U2BassAce
10-31-2009, 3:09 PM
Am I the only one that is worried about a possible misdemeanor ending up on my record? Especially one that has firearms attached to it? I guess if you are guilty you are guilty. But maybe an attorney can get it dropped to something less than a misdemeanor?

You just never know when that little misdemeanor on your record will pop up and bite you in the b*utt. Just saying.......

pieeater
10-31-2009, 3:54 PM

I was being a smartass. lol

CHS
10-31-2009, 5:11 PM
Am I the only one that is worried about a possible misdemeanor ending up on my record? Especially one that has firearms attached to it? I guess if you are guilty you are guilty. But maybe an attorney can get it dropped to something less than a misdemeanor?

You just never know when that little misdemeanor on your record will pop up and bite you in the b*utt. Just saying.......

A ticket is NOT a misdemeanor.

Napalm Bulldog
10-31-2009, 5:44 PM
thats why i go to the NATIONAL forest!!

If i ever get questioned im hunting squirrels and my aim sucks...LOL

Yeah I heard those paper things with an orange cirlce in the middle make great squirrel bait!:D

Darklyte27
10-31-2009, 6:37 PM
man that's too bad, its kind of hard to argue, because if you weren't sure you should have found out by contacting DFG.

No lawyer but can he really defend himself? take pictures of the signs and say that he saw that there was no restriction to do what he did? Then maybe the judge would lower it or at least have some sympathy and give you a break or forget it all.

RobG
10-31-2009, 6:42 PM
man that's too bad, its kind of hard to argue, because if you weren't sure you should have found out by contacting DFG.

No lawyer but can he really defend himself? take pictures of the signs and say that he saw that there was no restriction to do what he did? Then maybe the judge would lower it or at least have some sympathy and give you a break or forget it all.

The signs I have seen all say "shotguns/shotshells" only. Not sure that would help:p

Darklyte27
10-31-2009, 9:13 PM
well there ya go.

resident-shooter
10-31-2009, 9:41 PM
As for the signs: There are 2 different gates into the area. One is all surrounded by like 7 signs saying wildlife area, no littering and so on. The other gate is 300 yards away in the middle of nowhere and it has the sign about shotshells on it. I guess I could take pics of them and bring it up...

As for attorney: I will get a public defender. Higher chances and free, one way or another....

jonni
11-01-2009, 10:23 AM
good luck

resident-shooter
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Sank yo.

resident-shooter
09-08-2010, 9:49 PM
So I remembered about this thread and decided to update it.

The rookie DFG officer did not submit his story to the judge at all. The punishment initially was a $1200 misdemeanor. Since my criminal history is all clean, the "kind" judge offered to reduce it to a $1015 infraction under one small condition,- I had to surrender the rifle. Non of the pro gun organizations that I contacted offered me help for roughly 3 month ( I asked for continuations/delays in the case).

Finally, it was time to go and make up my mind. A firearm related misdemeanor is not a good thing to have on the record, but I had no one to get help from, so I decided to surrender a $200 gun for $185 reduction in fine..... When I walked up and plead "no contest", the judge turned to DA and asked if she should reduce it to an infraction. The DA gave a green light since the history was clean, but no one mentioned surrendering the rifle this time. So uhhh I just kept it. No word about it for the last few months.

ojisan
09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Funny how things work out sometimes.
:)

bsg
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
i'm glad to hear the end was not as bad as the beginning.

i appreciate the story and the implied reminder to pay attention....

Baxter
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Wanna go shooting?

antonio
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM

And yes u can be cited for a misdemeanor.... i see it all the time at work

CSDGuy
09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
And the ticket is a cite... and you can be cited (arrested) and released for a misdemeanor, and all you'll have in hand at the end of it is the "ticket" that was written. You might not actually realize that you've been technically arrested...

RandyD
09-09-2010, 6:02 AM

Based on this information, you may have a defensible position of lack of notice. If your a student, use your spare time to do some research on the applicable regulations. If an area is off limits to shooting, how is the public notified of this restriction, where and what notice was posted, what was written on the signs, ect. Good luck.

Donny1
09-09-2010, 7:58 AM
This is the first I've read of this thread but I'm very glad it worked out to only $$ instead of a permanent mark. Very good news. Yes, Wildlife area should bring up a red flag for anyone and would definitely make me double or triple check the regs.

My last DFG experience was on the Owens river near Bishop. A guy parks his F150 about 500 yards downstream from where I was fishing. He gets out, grabs his fly rod and starts casting. He looks like Joe Yuppie fisherman with all the fancy gear, vest, etc. He makes his way up to me and whips open his vest to expose his badge and gun and says, "Fish and Game, can I see your license". Slippery little fuc*er! I never saw it coming. I did have my license and only got a warning for not having it displayed. He proceeded to talk to me for a while about how he just ticketed some guys for not having licenses and confiscating 1K worth of fishing gear. He also said the reason for his approach was many DFG officers had been shot by poachers.

SupraMiggs
09-09-2010, 9:17 AM

It certainly could be either an infraction, misdemeanor or both.

resident-shooter
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Based on this information, you may have a defensible position of lack of notice. If your a student, use your spare time to do some research on the applicable regulations. If an area is off limits to shooting, how is the public notified of this restriction, where and what notice was posted, what was written on the signs, ect. Good luck.

I agree on complete lack of notice on the scene. You can find all the helpful info on the web, but not in the area itself. Thanks for an advise, but like I said in post #80, the case is closed.

This is the first I've read of this thread but I'm very glad it worked out to only $$ instead of a permanent mark. Very good news. Yes, Wildlife area should bring up a red flag for anyone and would definitely make me double or triple check the regs.

Yes, I am so glad that I got to keep the gun and a clean record. I mean $1000 is not a joke, but at least it stopped there.

I can tell you that I will be double checking the regulations too whenever I will be fishing, hunting, or just shooting in any area.

dmax11
09-09-2010, 1:32 PM

My last DFG experience was on the Owens river near Bishop. A guy parks his F150 about 500 yards downstream from where I was fishing. He gets out, grabs his fly rod and starts casting. He looks like Joe Yuppie fisherman with all the fancy gear, vest, etc. He makes his way up to me and whips open his vest to expose his badge and gun and says, "Fish and Game, can I see your license". Slippery little fuc*er! I never saw it coming. I did have my license and only got a warning for not having it displayed. He proceeded to talk to me for a while about how he just ticketed some guys for not having licenses and confiscating 1K worth of fishing gear. He also said the reason for his approach was many DFG officers had been shot by poachers.

wow, in all my years fishing i've still never had DFG ask to see my license and i've rarely if ever seen them.

in better news this year they changed the rules and you no longer need to have your license visible while fishing but you still must have it in possession while fishing of course, i read about this change in this years DFG handbook

SimpleCountryActuary
09-09-2010, 6:44 PM
wow, in all my years fishing i've still never had DFG ask to see my license and i've rarely if ever seen them.

in better news this year they changed the rules and you no longer need to have your license visible while fishing but you still must have it in possession while fishing of course, i read about this change in this years DFG handbook

That's good to know. I guess they figured out the fish couldn't read the license. :D

resident-shooter
09-09-2010, 6:48 PM
^ lol.... It makes little sense why people have to display those licenses at all times. I mean that would be like displaying a driver's license at all times when u drive....

cannon
09-09-2010, 8:26 PM
Glad it worked out.

GUN FREAK
09-10-2010, 7:46 PM

If you ever want a good job. Pay for a lawyer. That will f- up a back ground check.

GUN FREAK
09-10-2010, 7:49 PM
Just saw post 80

Falstaff
09-10-2010, 8:28 PM
. He also said the reason for his approach was many DFG officers had been shot by poachers.

Oh ya, real dangerous job, they're getting shot all the time :rolleyes:

resident-shooter
09-10-2010, 9:00 PM
Just saw post 80

lol....

forgiven
09-10-2010, 9:52 PM

Was thinking the same thing.

resident-shooter
09-10-2010, 11:24 PM