PDA

View Full Version : bwiese: Mayor Reed is MAIG member!!!

Scout106
10-28-2009, 4:30 PM
How about some pressure on hizzoner Chuck Reed? He wouldn't reply to me but I shut down his admin assistant and ended up with his new LE advisor, Jose Salcido, former Sheriff's Lieutenant, who knew nothing about MAIG. I enlightened him. What say we generate some pressure from CalGuns on hizzoner?

oaklander
10-28-2009, 4:36 PM
Just tweeted that! Awesome FAIL on his part.

Barbarossa
10-28-2009, 4:38 PM
I have no idea what you guys are referring/talking about. :confused:

hoffmang
10-28-2009, 4:44 PM
MAIG is "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" run by Bloomberg. However the truth is that its (often) duped mayors that are used to oppose national CCW reciprocity and locked firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak.

-Gene

Glock22Fan
10-28-2009, 5:00 PM
MAIG is "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" run by Bloomberg. However the truth is that its (often) duped mayors that are used to oppose national CCW reciprocity and locked firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak.

-Gene

I know that much, but where is Chuck Reed mayor? I don't remember ever hearing about him.

oaklander
10-28-2009, 5:00 PM
San Jose

I know that much, but where is Chuck Reed mayor? I don't remember ever hearing about him.

oaklander
10-28-2009, 5:04 PM
Here is the complete list of CA FAIL (California Mayors Against Guns):

Mayor Jane P. Kennedy
Campbell, CA

Mayor Cheryl Cox
Chula Vista, CA

Mayor Robert Wasserman
Fremont, CA

Mayor Ashley Swearengin
Fresno, CA

Mayor Roosevelt F. Dorn
Inglewood, CA

Mayor Sukhee Kang
Irvine, CA

Mayor Larry Burrola
Irwindale, CA

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
Los Angeles, CA

Mayor Rob Schroder
Martinez, CA

Mayor Paul Eaton
Montclair, CA

Mayor Ron Dellums
Oakland, CA

Mayor Sue Severson
Orinda, CA

Mayor Pamela Torliatt
Petaluma, CA

Mayor Jennifer Hosterman
Pleasanton, CA

Mayor Gayle McLaughlin
Richmond, CA

Mayor Dennis Donohue
Salinas, CA

Mayor Patrick J. Morris
San Bernardino, CA

Mayor Jerry Sanders
San Diego, CA

Mayor Gavin Newsom
San Francisco, CA

Mayor Chuck Reed
San Jose, CA

Mayor Miguel Pulido
Santa Ana, CA

Mayor Marty Blum
Santa Barbara, CA

Mayor Ken Genser
Santa Monica, CA

Mayor Susan Gorin
Santa Rosa, CA

Mayor Ann Johnston
Stockton, CA

Mayor Morris Vance
Vista, CA

Mayor Abbe Land
West Hollywood, CA

Mayor Christopher Cabaldon
West Sacramento, CA

Sinestr
10-28-2009, 5:15 PM
Almost all bay area and so-cal.

Barbarossa
10-28-2009, 5:18 PM
Mayor Jennifer Hosterman
Pleasanton, CA

Ahhhh!!!!!! :helpsmilie:

jasilva
10-28-2009, 6:35 PM
Almost all high violent crime ****holes

Modified that for accuracy.

dwtt
10-28-2009, 7:14 PM

Where's Berkeley on the list? This is the city that gave a reserved parking spot in front of the Marine Corps recruiting station for Code Pink. It's difficult to believe they're not on the list.

SJgunguy24
10-28-2009, 7:27 PM
I will say one thing about Reed, he stopped that sanctuary city crap. The last soccer game SJPD must of had 30 of those ice cream carts with 30 illegals lined up on the curb.

bodger
10-28-2009, 7:33 PM
I will say one thing about Reed, he stopped that sanctuary city crap. The last soccer game SJPD must of had 30 of those ice cream carts with 30 illegals lined up on the curb.

That's good to hear.

I live in Los Angeles. I see our illustrious adulterous lying anti-gun POS mayor on the list as well.

I think if a member of the LAPD detained an illegal street vendor, the officer would be charged with violating Special Order 40.

KylaGWolf
10-28-2009, 7:46 PM
Amazing that a former police chief ala Mayor Sanders in San Diego is anti-gun. Makes me like him even less than I did already. Wasn't suprised on the Chula Vista mayor though, and Vista I don't know enough about that one to say either way.

cbn620
10-28-2009, 8:21 PM
I've been wondering about Fresno. Anyone get any word from Swearengin? She's supposed to be Republican leaning. I thought I emailed her a couple months ago when this whole thing first started, but I haven't heard any responses (big surprise).

madmike
10-28-2009, 8:32 PM
I'm so not surprised that my towns mayor is on the list... Craptastic...

-madmike.

vladbutsky
10-28-2009, 8:50 PM
And here is the response:

Dear Mr. Butsky,

Thank you for contacting Mayor Reed with your comments and concerns regarding Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

The Mayor always appreciates receiving feedback from the community and takes your concerns seriously. Mayor Reed understands that this is an issue of serious importance to many San Jose residents. The Mayor’s membership in the coalition is not reflective of his position on gun ownership but rather on a commitment to public safety. Public safety is one of the Mayor’s greatest concerns and he believes that is important to exercise law enforcement strategies to keep guns out of the hands of criminals already barred from possessing firearms.

From our office’s experience Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns has kept a very narrow focus. It is specifically tasked to deal with keeping guns out of the hands of convicted criminals who are already barred from possessing firearms. On many of the more controversial issues relating to firearms, Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns, does not get involved and does not take a position. For example, the organization has not taken any stance or done any work related to the assault rifle ban because this does not pertain to the organizations central mission of keeping guns away from convicted criminals. Nor did the organization take any stance on the recent Supreme Court Heller case on the 2nd amendment, again because the case did not pertain to keeping guns out of the hands of convicted criminals.

Mayor Reed will continue to work with local law enforcement and the community to ensure that the residents of San José remain safe and protected while respecting individual rights.

Again, thank you for writing to the Mayor

Nik Warrior

Agenda Services Manager

Office of Mayor Chuck Reed

200 E. Santa Clara St, 18th Floor | San Jose, CA 95113

408-535-4800 | nikhil.warrior@sanjoseca.gov

What do we say in response to their claim that "we are only about illegal guns"?

spddrcr
10-28-2009, 8:53 PM
just because a mayor isnt on the list doesnt mean they are for guns by any means, the mayor of concord isnt on the list but there's no way your getting a ccw here. im pretty sure they just havent sent in the paperwork:rolleyes:

cbn620
10-28-2009, 9:09 PM
What to say to "we are only about illegal guns"? Well first and most obviously, that is patently untrue considering at the very least we know Bloomberg is associated with this, and he has campaigned to make then currently legal guns illegal. How is that focusing on illegal guns? Which brings me to the next and probably most important point: being against "illegal guns" is kind of pointless in the real world where very legal guns instantly become illegal at the drop of a hat.

It's very weasely business, but also very easy, to simply say you're only against illegal guns and then say you are for making illegal some of today's most commonly used firearms.

I think pointing out the obvious dishonesty in "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" as a concept, with proof of members of this organization going against legal guns, is a great place to start.

tonelar
10-28-2009, 9:24 PM
Amazing that a former police chief ala Mayor Sanders in San Diego is anti-gun. Makes me like him even less than I did already. Wasn't suprised on the Chula Vista mayor though, and Vista I don't know enough about that one to say either way.

Although most Police Officers are pro 2A, most Police Chiefs are anti-gun*. Once you make Chief, you become more politically motivated. It's sad but true that your "run of the mill" Police Chief is pretty far from the Patrol Officers who serve under them.

*http://axiomamuse.wordpress.com/2009/08/22/big-win-for-the-international-association-of-chiefs-of-police/

Meplat
10-28-2009, 9:37 PM
Wonderful generalities that may fly here but no specifics that will get read or understood in the Mayors office.

We need short simple succinct facts that will be understood and lead the reader to believe that although I and a lot of other freedom loving gun owners supported her in the squeaker election she just won, we will work twice as hard to defeat her next time around. It was pro-gun groups and individuals that made the difference in our sheriffs election and we can make the same difference if we oppose the mayor.
:43:

What to say to "we are only about illegal guns"? Well first and most obviously, that is patently untrue considering at the very least we know Bloomberg is associated with this, and he has campaigned to make then currently legal guns illegal. How is that focusing on illegal guns? Which brings me to the next and probably most important point: being against "illegal guns" is kind of pointless in the real world where very legal guns instantly become illegal at the drop of a hat.

It's very weasely business, but also very easy, to simply say you're only against illegal guns and then say you are for making illegal some of today's most commonly used firearms.

I think pointing out the obvious dishonesty in "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" as a concept, with proof of members of this organization going against legal guns, is a great place to start.

freonr22
10-28-2009, 9:45 PM
tag

greasemonkey
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I've been wondering about Fresno. Anyone get any word from Swearengin? She's supposed to be Republican leaning. I thought I emailed her a couple months ago when this whole thing first started, but I haven't heard any responses (big surprise).

I emailed her about it, too and got no response; I was really surprised to see her on that list, especially with the extremely friendly stance of our current Sheriff.

Swearingin does do once a month, a day of meetings where she'll sit down with you one on one for a 45 minute session to talk to you about what's important to you in the community. I'm curious to see (if we could ever get a CGN Town Hall in Fresno...) if we could pick some people to go to meetings like that and address the local political figures.

Chris M
10-29-2009, 1:28 PM
No mention of Milpitas? This list can't be accurate. :D

johnny_22
10-29-2009, 3:04 PM
No mention of Milpitas? This list can't be accurate. :D

But, so far, so good. None of the former mayors in Milpitas, to my knowledge, were a member of MAIG.

Now that Livengood is running for State Assembly (Torrico's seat), I assume he won't do any thing other than be mayor.

Werewolf1021
10-29-2009, 3:24 PM
Had to laugh at Stockton. Safest city in the country.....:o virtually no gun crime:D and a place for families with no drug crime :smilielol5:

Manic Moran
10-30-2009, 9:45 AM
If I recall correctly, Mr Reed used to be an Air Force officer in a previous life. Would imply he doesn't necessarily have an allergy to firearms.

Then again, air force....

NTM

dantodd
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe someone needs to start a corollary group called "Mayors For Legal Gun Ownership"

Doug L
10-30-2009, 11:19 AM

If you know any of these dim wits, you might suggest to them that they change their name to MAC---Mayors Against the Constitution. (Sorry...I couldn't come up with a name that would result in a clever acronym.)