PDA

View Full Version : Armed resident scares off home invaders

Lyte-
10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
First off sorry if this is not the correct place but this was the most logical place I could think of...

with that said is those someone from here?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-residents-home-2627212-house-birth

By JESSICA TERRELL
The Orange County Register
Comments 31| Recommend 3

YORBA LINDA Police have one suspect in custody and are searching for several other individuals after a home-invasion robbery that occurred in the 21700 block of Mackenzie Avenue early Tuesday morning.

Residents of the home a couple with two small children woke up to the sound of breaking glass around 1:22 a.m. The husband armed himself with a handgun and a flashlight and went downstairs, where he confronted three males inside his residence, said Sgt. Bill Smyser of the Brea Police Department.

When the resident revealed that he was armed, the three men ran out of the rear of the house, jumping a wall onto a neighboring street. Police responded to the residents' call in under a minute, Smyser said.

Police are still trying to determine what, if anything, was taken from the house.

Investigators arrested one suspect, Jehred Cameron Birth, at his residence in Moreno Valley around 9:45 p.m. on Tuesday.

Birth, a 20-year-old parolee, is currently in custody at the Orange County Jail on robbery charges.

Police are seeking at least two other suspects, and have reason to believe a third individual may have been driving a getaway car.

Home invasion robberies are rare in Yorba Linda and police do not currently have any theories as to why this particular house was targeted.

Police are asking neighborhood residents to keep their doors locked and report any suspicious activity. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective John Hoetker at 714-990-7618.

BigEd925
10-28-2009, 12:45 PM
good job to the homeowner in arming himself and defending his property.

Barney Gumble
10-28-2009, 1:16 PM
Actually, confronting the intruders was a terrible mistake from a tactical perspective and he lucked out.

halifax
10-28-2009, 1:19 PM
"woke up to the sound of breaking glass" and "[w]hen the resident revealed that he was armed, the three men ran out of the rear of the house", yet "[p]olice are asking neighborhood residents to keep their doors locked".

Locked doors don't seem to have had much to do with this happy ending.

I'm sure it's for safety reasons, but if the police spokesperson were honest he/she should have used this incident as an example of how to protect yourself and your family because bad things can happen even in good neighborhoods.

Untamed1972
10-28-2009, 1:29 PM
Actually, confronting the intruders was a terrible mistake from a tactical perspective and he lucked out.

Yes....but if you have children in other parts of the house are you really going to lock yourself in your bedroom and wait for the LEOs to arrive?

Sometimes you hafta attack the attacker(s) which is what he did.....and it worked. It is possible to be tactically offensive.....why wait for them to come to you? I wouldn't want to wait until I was cornered in my bedroom or had to respond to the sounds of screaming children before I went on the offense.

SuperSet
10-28-2009, 1:36 PM
That's a nice area. Good thing he was armed and it turned out okay for him and his family.

Barney Gumble
10-28-2009, 1:50 PM
Yes....but if you have children in other parts of the house are you really going to lock yourself in your bedroom and wait for the LEOs to arrive?

Absolutely! He had no idea how many there were and could have easily been shot or otherwise overpowered by an unseen bad guy. Once the BGs have overpowered him and taken his gun who is left to defend his family?

I can totally see doing a little recon to determine whether there is actually a break in, and then calling 911. It's dangerous if there actually ARE intruders, but the reality is people want to do this before calling 911 out of fear of making a false alarm call.

Sometimes you hafta attack the attacker(s) which is what he did.....and it worked. It is possible to be tactically offensive.....why wait for them to come to you? I wouldn't want to wait until I was cornered in my bedroom or had to respond to the sounds of screaming children before I went on the offense.

It worked but that doesn't make it a good idea. Clearing a house is absolutely NOT a single-person job. Too many angles and concealment positions to cover.

Would I want to wait for them to come to me, absolutely yes. Obviously you need to gather the kids first, you don't just leave them to fend for themselves (duh!). I would bring them into our bedroom and lock the door. Then I can determine my own concealment and I am forcing all the BGs through a single entry point. WAY easier to defend.

Untamed1972
10-28-2009, 2:35 PM
Then I can determine my own concealment and I am forcing all the BGs through a single entry point. WAY easier to defend.

And now you and your whole family are cornered with possibly no means of egress is it doesn't go as easily as you hoped.

I wouldn't back myself into a corner intentionally if it was me. If I hafta leave the room to gather the family....would be better to leave some options open in my mind. But that's just me.

Barney Gumble
10-28-2009, 2:47 PM
That's fine...I'm just saying that taking up a defensive position, staying put and calling the cavalry is a lot smarter than playing SWAT and running around in your jammies trying to clear a dark house by yourself.

Snapping Twig
10-28-2009, 9:13 PM

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Wife and kids defenseless... you got to be the most deadly thing in the house.

It harkens back to the most basic of human instinct.

My advice is to train in advance long before you find yourself in such a situation, no guarantee of success, but it stacks the deck in your favor.

Also, have a plan in place - exits, meeting points, etc.

99.9% of the time, the training will be of no practical use - thank God for that - but for the 1% of the time...

Nynvolt
10-28-2009, 9:50 PM
99.9% of thugs who are breaking into houses are not S.W.A.T. trained... I don't think the guy needed to fall back on his "house clearing" tactics...

:)

Barney Gumble
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
The BGs don't need to be SWAT trained, they simply have to have more guys, or be behind you when you round a corner. How exactly do your tough guy instincts save you, or protect your wife and kids, after you've had your head cracked open with a crowbar??

locosway
10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
We can critique him all we want, but the fact is him and his family is safe, and the intruders are arrested with no shots fired.

Sounds like he won in my book.

GrimLock
10-29-2009, 8:08 AM
Hey to the OP you did a good job and you did what you were supposed to do as man who has a family.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

If you have the time and money take some house clearing classes and in the mean time have a cold one if you drink.

ONCE AGAIN GOOD job!

beemaze
10-29-2009, 8:16 AM
A good story with a good outcome so far. The point is that more of these good incidents happen each day than negative outcome incidents that our media loves to report.

Clayface
10-29-2009, 9:56 AM
Nothing says " get the hell out of my house" like an armed resident with a gun.
What a great story and I would have loved to see their faces as their hearts dropped when they realized that they shouldn't have gotten out of bed that morning.

lazuris
10-29-2009, 9:59 AM
I think the main issue is what were a bunch of thugs from Mo V doing in YL.

lazuris
10-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I have a question.

Say it turned into a shoot where the homeowner shoots and kills the perp. What happens to other guns or ammo he may have? Say the weapons are secured in a safe and are not used or accessed during the shoot. What would happen to this guys stuff?

locosway
10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I have a question.

Say it turned into a shoot where the homeowner shoots and kills the perp. What happens to other guns or ammo he may have? Say the weapons are secured in a safe and are not used or accessed during the shoot. What would happen to this guys stuff?

Short of a search warrant with cause to seize weapons, nothing.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Short of a search warrant with cause to seize weapons, nothing.

Although if the shooter is arrested pending the outcome of the investigation, since the arrest would be for homocide (a felony) I wouldn't put it past some PD's to say "We hafta to sieze any weapons found at the scene pending the outcome of the investigation and the DA's findings."

Nynvolt
10-29-2009, 10:36 AM

That's what I was wondering too. Maybe the pickings are just better here than in Moreno Valley or maybe the bad guys were familiar with the area and/or the resident.

Untamed1972
10-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Why break into houses to rob people who don't have anything worth taking? You go to a nice neighborhood when you want to find some good stuff to steal.

Not to mention they prolly know that in MV there is any number of chances of targeting some other bad dudes house by accident and gettin' all f'ed up by him and his homies.

acolytes
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Why break into houses to rob people who don't have anything worth taking? You go to a nice neighborhood when you want to find some good stuff to steal.

Not to mention they prolly know that in MV there is any number of chances of targeting some other bad dudes house by accident and gettin' all f'ed up by him and his homies.

lol you are right! Chances are he will encounter some gangster with his homies side wielding glocks equipped with the Birdman Homeboy sights.

Lucky Scott
10-29-2009, 1:59 PM
Wow, right down the street from my house.
In my situation, my wife will be armed and by my side as well.

Chatterbox
10-29-2009, 2:24 PM
I'm sure any hypothetical wife would be fine with reasoning "Honey, I was keeping you safe by barricading in the bedroom while they were raping you down the hall. You wouldn't want me to risk getting brained by a crowbar, would you?"

Seesm
10-29-2009, 4:02 PM
Good job on the homeowner protecting his stuff. (Family) Armed homes are happy homes. Armed citizens are SMART citizens.

locosway
10-29-2009, 5:06 PM
Although if the shooter is arrested pending the outcome of the investigation, since the arrest would be for homocide (a felony) I wouldn't put it past some PD's to say "We hafta to sieze any weapons found at the scene pending the outcome of the investigation and the DA's findings."

The DA would need to file homicide charges, unless there is a lot of evidence for the detective to just hook you up. Either way, their would need to be a search warrant and a weapons seizure order.