PDA

View Full Version : LOC (both rifles and handguns) in national forest/wilderness area. Can I do it?

Sleepy1988
10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I've been hiking a lot in some pretty remote areas, and have even spotted a bear as well as some cubs. Is it legal to carry rifles/handguns with rounds in the magazine/cylinder when in wilderness?

professionalcoyotehunter
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Bullets in the magazines not loaded in the gun is okay in most places.

dantodd
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
In unincorporated areas (i.e. not within city limits) were the discharge of a firearm is permitted it is generally acceptable to carry a loaded gun openly.

M1A Rifleman
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
For wilderness areas it depends which one, so check with the Forrest Service.

As other state the crux of the issue for LOC is this can be done in areas where you can legally target practice. LOC around the campground is no, however you can carry within the bounds of your camp site.

GrizzlyGuy
10-28-2009, 11:22 AM
See Mud Camper's great info thread here (deserves a sticky IMHO):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

One example from his thread of where loaded carry would be prohibited would be while walking along a National Forest road, even if you are hunting.

M1A Rifleman
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
One example from his thread of where loaded carry would be prohibited would be while walking along a National Forest road, even if you are hunting.

I disagree here as the F&G code does allow this while hunting. Shooting across the road at a deer would be know, however there is no problem walking along a F&S road with a loaded rifle while hunting - assuming your not shooting within 150 yds of an ocupied dwelling either.

Vtec44
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I disagree here as the F&G code does allow this while hunting. Shooting across the road at a deer would be know, however there is no problem walking along a F&S road with a loaded rifle while hunting - assuming your not shooting within 150 yds of an ocupied dwelling either.

That's also my understanding of the laws as well. If you need to shoot (animals), keep it 150 yards away from the roads and dwellings.

GrizzlyGuy
10-28-2009, 11:45 AM

DFG regulations don't trump other laws and regulations that may be in effect. Pieeater and I discussed this point before, start here and read down from there:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3144323&postcount=37

MudCamper
10-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Just because a F&G code doesn't make something illegal, doesn't mean you can't be breaking some other federal or state law. And exemptions from one code do not apply to another. This is a common mistake. You really should read the link that GrizzlyGuy posted. It's quite exhaustive: Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457)