PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar gun show

Moonclip
05-02-2005, 3:07 PM
Did anyone make it to this show this weekend? I generally stay away as it is a bit far for me and I don't like paying for parking and it is smaller than the OC one.

I saw however that there is a indoor shooting range in Oceanside on the way there that sells guns so I wanted to check that out too. Seemed like nice folks but the guns were about the same price as Turners it seemed.

Anyhow the show was mostly a bust as California shows generally are. Richs arms from Whittier did not seem to be there which is a shame as he brings some interesting stuff sometimes and acts as a transfer dealer too which is nice as it is in the LA area. Ammo bros was there though, still waiting and hoping for them to sell guns out of their retail store soon as a new California gunstore is rare indeed.

Notable things at the show included what I think was a 4" nickel 38spl Colt diamondback for $595. Box of Norma 7.7 jap ammo on a table for $10 along with what seemed to be a pretty ok single shot percussion pistol for $60. Did not buy either and when I went back they were gone.

Saw a Wyoming Arms Parker pistol(remember those?) with the box for $250 but stayed away as I heard the quality is lacking on those. Best deal of the show but not a gun I could really justify as wanting or needing (I don't really like K frame magnums) was a S&W 19 6" blue in what looked like pretty good shape for $325 and it seemed to have the target options.

I surprised no one jumped on that one quicker but the gun was kind of out of the way. My two most interesting show observations were the pair of SD sheriffs officers stationed right were everyone has to pass to give up their ticket. That kind of upset me, why is that necessary? I have seen OC sheriffs at the OC show but not acting as door monitors though.

On the way out though I noticed they were probably just there sharking the table where people get their gun action twisty tied to be non operable in the show and trying to get a deal on stuff people broght to sell!

My favorite show moment was asking a dealer what a unmarked as to price Beretta 1934 380acp was to cost and then being told it had been brough to the show by accident as it was not on the roster. The gun was possibly over 50years old or a C&R but I did not feel like arguing about it. I then asked the price of a 2" blue S&W model 10 and was told something like do you have to ask the price of every unmarked gun!

It just happened the only two guns I wanted were unmarked as to price. It's not like thats my fault, I hate unmarked guns at gun shows! S&W turned out to be $239 and quite blue worn especially for a drive to San Diego area so I passed.

Moonclip
05-02-2005, 3:07 PM
Did anyone make it to this show this weekend? I generally stay away as it is a bit far for me and I don't like paying for parking and it is smaller than the OC one.

I saw however that there is a indoor shooting range in Oceanside on the way there that sells guns so I wanted to check that out too. Seemed like nice folks but the guns were about the same price as Turners it seemed.

Anyhow the show was mostly a bust as California shows generally are. Richs arms from Whittier did not seem to be there which is a shame as he brings some interesting stuff sometimes and acts as a transfer dealer too which is nice as it is in the LA area. Ammo bros was there though, still waiting and hoping for them to sell guns out of their retail store soon as a new California gunstore is rare indeed.

Notable things at the show included what I think was a 4" nickel 38spl Colt diamondback for $595. Box of Norma 7.7 jap ammo on a table for $10 along with what seemed to be a pretty ok single shot percussion pistol for $60. Did not buy either and when I went back they were gone.

Saw a Wyoming Arms Parker pistol(remember those?) with the box for $250 but stayed away as I heard the quality is lacking on those. Best deal of the show but not a gun I could really justify as wanting or needing (I don't really like K frame magnums) was a S&W 19 6" blue in what looked like pretty good shape for $325 and it seemed to have the target options.

I surprised no one jumped on that one quicker but the gun was kind of out of the way. My two most interesting show observations were the pair of SD sheriffs officers stationed right were everyone has to pass to give up their ticket. That kind of upset me, why is that necessary? I have seen OC sheriffs at the OC show but not acting as door monitors though.

On the way out though I noticed they were probably just there sharking the table where people get their gun action twisty tied to be non operable in the show and trying to get a deal on stuff people broght to sell!

My favorite show moment was asking a dealer what a unmarked as to price Beretta 1934 380acp was to cost and then being told it had been brough to the show by accident as it was not on the roster. The gun was possibly over 50years old or a C&R but I did not feel like arguing about it. I then asked the price of a 2" blue S&W model 10 and was told something like do you have to ask the price of every unmarked gun!

It just happened the only two guns I wanted were unmarked as to price. It's not like thats my fault, I hate unmarked guns at gun shows! S&W turned out to be $239 and quite blue worn especially for a drive to San Diego area so I passed.

Latham2
05-02-2005, 5:12 PM
I am glad that I did not drive down myself. When is Orange County? I have been told that it is the best of what is left.

jnojr
05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Moonclip - I was planning on going, but never made it. No real loss, really... I'm sure the shows haven't suddenly got better http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I would mainly have been looking for ammo. I haven't seen any real "deals" at a Crossroads show in a looong time.

New Shooter - http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm

maxicon
05-03-2005, 1:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I haven't seen any real "deals" at a Crossroads show in a looong time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it's a state problem, not a promoter problem.

I was recently in Arizona for a week or so, and had the opportunity to go to a Crossroads gun show in Phoenix.

It was so far removed from any California gun show experience that I was completely overwhelmed. I could have easily spent two days wandering around.

Multiple buildings and tents, dozens of private party sellers wandering around, tons of black guns, and some great prices, including from some dealers.

There were lots of overpriced dealers, like any gun show, but man, did I wish for Az citizenship and a few grand in my pocket!

As it was, I dropped a few hundred on parts, holsters, and such. It really emphasized how far down the wrong path California's gone.

05-04-2005, 7:48 AM
Did anyone see the guys selling those toy helicopters get arrested? Two friends that sell the EDM .50's were there, one told me that they robbed some guy in Vegas. Apparently they were recognized and someone called the cops on them. Said they were arrested and led out of there quietly.