PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a FULL version of XP and upgrade to Win7?

V8toytruck
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
So to save myself some $$$, could I purchase a full version of XP (used on Craigslist?) and immediately install the Win7 Upgrade?

XP Full Version on CL: $40-50
Win7 Pro Upgrade $190
Win7 Pro Full Version $290

Any disadvantage to that?

Thanks in advance

or can I get this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Window-XP-Professional-SP2-Full-COA_W0QQitemZ260497846217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Sof tware?hash=item3ca6e1afc9
then get the Win7 Pro Upgrade?

I understand I can get OEM versions but I'd like to have the ability to transfer the OS

then do the upgrade?

Mute
10-28-2009, 8:26 AM
I'd get the full version. I generally recommend against doing a Windows OS upgrade beyond a single generation. I've always find it lacking every time I've come across anyone who has done so.

maschronic
10-28-2009, 8:50 AM
Mute is correct. i would do a full upgrade whenever possible. start off with a fresh start. i'm installing windows xp as we speak on wifes laptop.

Telperion
10-28-2009, 9:04 AM
I'd get the full version. I generally recommend against doing a Windows OS upgrade beyond a single generation. I've always find it lacking every time I've come across anyone who has done so.
You can do a clean install of Windows 7 using the upgrade media. It just makes installation a two step process.

Lissauer
10-28-2009, 9:51 AM
It is real easy to do a clean install with an upgrade version. If you need instruction pm me and I can walk you through it.

paul0660
10-28-2009, 10:10 AM
As I understand it, changing to 7 from XP requires a clean install, after saving your current data and settings to an external storage. So you could save $50 using V8toytruck's method.

Personally, I always wait for SP2 and for prices to come down.

You can go from xp to vista to 7 btw (and end up with a mess probably).

JDay
10-28-2009, 2:14 PM
Just get a TechNet Plus subscription using this coupon. You'll get access to just about every program Microsoft has and 10 licenses for each version of Windows. The subscription is good for a year but the license keys don't expire.

Coupon: TMSAM15

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx

V8toytruck
10-28-2009, 7:34 PM
Just get a TechNet Plus subscription using this coupon. You'll get access to just about every program Microsoft has and 10 licenses for each version of Windows. The subscription is good for a year but the license keys don't expire.

Coupon: TMSAM15

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx

That..and the coupon is pretty damn sweet!

Thanks!

V8toytruck
10-28-2009, 7:36 PM
It is real easy to do a clean install with an upgrade version. If you need instruction pm me and I can walk you through it.

This will be installed into a brand new computer.

So theres a way to purchase the Upgrade version (retail or OEM) and install it on a fresh harddrive?

Most likely I'll end up buying the coupon code

Brianguy
10-28-2009, 8:48 PM
I downloaded the upgrade edition. You need a legit copy of xp or vista already installed to be verified first.

bohoki
10-28-2009, 9:02 PM
back in the day when i have windows 3.0 and windows 3.1 came out you needed to have proof ov a previous eddition to get the upgrade version

i got the manual from windows 2.0 out of a garbage can at a school and bought the upgrade 3.1 for like $50 vw full version for $100

but those were the days of the racks of $80 chinese skses

ever since then ive just bought new computers and they came with the windows of that era

win 95 machine was a pentium 90 windows 98 came on a faster machine

my current machine works well with xp for the last few years i dont know if it could handle an upgrade with its intrinsic speed