PDA

View Full Version : ATF letter on pistols from virgin recivers

JeepsRcool
10-27-2009, 9:55 PM
Got this from arfcom, how does this affect the belief that a CA sold virgin receiver could be called a long gun, as that is how it is labeled when set to ca doj? As there is no box for receiver....
Would this alleviate that possible jam up?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x221/evanmurray_photo/batfeletterarpistols1.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x221/evanmurray_photo/batfeletterarpistols2.jpg
OG link/
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=465457

MikeR
10-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow, so according to that the two stripped lowers i have that have never been anything but stripped lowers could be made into pistols? Hummm who is going first? :D

jamesob
10-27-2009, 10:10 PM
i have pondered this alot. i wouldn't see a problem with doing a vollunteery registration for a pistol from a stripped lower. atf wouldn't have a problem since the dealer logged it out as a stripped lower. i'm not sure what the doj could do really. but others here could give you better and more acurate advice.

ke6guj
10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
We've seen that letter posted before. You should be fine federally. The issue is on the CA side to as whether a long gun DROS forever taints a stripped lower as a rifle, and that if assembled with a <16" barrel makes an SBR.

Similar issue with the .50BMG Ma Duece. It doesn't meet the definition of a rifle, is just a long gun, so it shouldn't fall under the .50BMG rifle ban. But that hasn't stopped CADOJ from confiscating at least one MaDuece as being an unregistered .50BMG rifle.

Mstrty
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Hmmm. Someone please test this in the courts and get back to me.:D

five.five-six
10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Hmmm. Someone please test this in the courts and get back to me.:D
^ that

JeepsRcool
10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
If one where confronted with the pistol built from a virgin receiver, and it had its serial number ran, how would they obtain doj records with out an intensive investigation? And when they have all records they would see the dealers logbook with receiver written in and that coupled with this letter...They certainly would have no case.

If they could win with the long gun accusation in the courts then we effectively have an impromptu long gun registration already in effect...

So where do we go from hear, wait it out for a move in the courts, or have a mass amount of builds from virgin receivers into pistols.:rolleyes:

thedrickel
10-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Just ppt the stripped lower to the next guy as a handgun :)

ke6guj
10-28-2009, 12:01 AM
how does one do the handgun safety demo on a stripped receiver?

FS00008
10-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Anyone notice the typo in the second half of the letter...?

"right" instead of "write"?

wildhawker
10-28-2009, 12:08 AM
how does one do the handgun safety demo on a stripped receiver?

How does one do a safety demo with a hicap handgun and no assembled hicap or std cap mags present?

ke6guj
10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
How does one do a safety demo with a hicap handgun and no assembled hicap or std cap mags present?that too. An LEO friend of mine sold a hangun that had large-capacity magazines. I told him that if he sold to a non-LEO that he would need to break down the mags into parts kits, but that he should hang onto one magazine incase the dealer needed to do do the safety demo. Then, after the demo, break down the last mag and give the buyer the parts. I don't know what actually transpired at the dealer that day, but AFAIK, the deal went off fine.

savageevo
10-28-2009, 6:11 AM
any way you can turn that letter into a pdf file so I can print it out and put it in my files. Letters like these are good to hold on to.

freakshow10mm
10-28-2009, 6:18 AM
Print it as a jpeg. If you're on a Mac, click and drag to the desktop, then print.