PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7?

gdr_11
10-27-2009, 7:36 PM
So, I have endured Windows Vista on my desktop and laptop and now am considering changing to Windows 7. Ordinarly I prefer to let new technology mature before I invest, but I hate Vista.

Any advice before I make the plunge?

phish
10-27-2009, 7:52 PM
If you decide to backup your files onto an external drive, make sure that the backup software works in Windows 7.

Brianguy
10-27-2009, 8:27 PM
I made the switch last week. I don't regret it... yet.

patman
10-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Fresh installs with Home Premium x64 and Pro x64 have been fine since Saturday.

Machines seem snappier than with Vista, same performance options for w7 and vista (performance rather than pretty/visuals).

The only game I play when I have time is BF2 and it's the only app with issues. I think punkbuster is the issue. Office 2003 apps work. Other work apps are running. Screen dumps using the new paint accessory is quicker than using Adobe Photoshop! True crypt works ;).

Both XP and Vista took a while before they were usable, but Windows 7 appears to be ready right away. Almost like SP4 for XP Pro ;)

Go for it. I bought a new hard drive for the fresh install so I could go back if necessary.

whobob
10-28-2009, 1:29 AM
I'm on Ubuntu Jaunty and couldn't be any happier. In the next 2 days, I'll be on Ubuntu Karmic. I've been with Windows since the DOS days and had OS X, but I find that Linux or OS X is the way to go.

You should give Ubuntu Karmic a try.

http://lunduke.com/?p=840

jwest
10-29-2009, 4:11 AM
I just upgraded one of my 64-bit machines - I really can't tell the difference thus far from Vista-64 and Windows 7.

Did M$ just disable a bunch of while loops so the response seems 'snappier'.
Seriously though, I really can't tell much difference thus far. So, I am a little baffled what the fuss is all about.

Seems to me Win 7 is more of a Vista SP3 than anything else - I mean - do you really think they got all of the bugs out of a real, new, software release?

patman
10-29-2009, 7:39 AM
SP3.

I like to hibernate my laptop and with windows7, it finishes/shutsdown in less than half the time compared to vista x64. I'm guessing it's better memory management.

For me, this is a big factor in upgrading. My complaint now is about media player getting stuck/not responding at times.

Who knows, it seems like patches are downloaded every other day. I think 19 took place between Sunday and Monday. When I shutdown yesterday, it installed another 3 updates.

Next up is to start my Linux VM's, vmware or virtualbox, hmmm. At least it's the other way around on my desktop (linux with vm's of windows/linux/solaris etc).

I just upgraded one of my 64-bit machines - I really can't tell the difference thus far from Vista-64 and Windows 7.

Seriously though, I really can't tell much difference thus far. So, I am a little baffled what the fuss is all about.

Seems to me Win 7 is more of a Vista SP3 than anything else - I mean - do you really think they got all of the bugs out of a real, new, software release?

JDay
10-29-2009, 2:57 PM

There's been a lot of changes under the hood. The kernel has even been modified quite a bit, Vista was NT 6.0 where as 7 is NT 6.1.

http://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/differencebetweenvistaandwindows7_thumb.jpg

If you have Windows 7 Pro or higher and a CPU that has virtualization extensions enabled you can also install XP Mode. The cool thing about this is that you don't even need to boot the XP VM to run your XP apps.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

JDay
10-29-2009, 3:02 PM
Who knows, it seems like patches are downloaded every other day. I think 19 took place between Sunday and Monday. When I shutdown yesterday, it installed another 3 updates.

That's because you didn't install them all after you installed Windows 7. Microsoft only releases new updates on Tuesdays and this OS has been out since Aug 6 (just not in stores). Go into Windows Update and keep checking for and installing updates until no more show up.

Darklyte27
10-29-2009, 3:24 PM
After watching a quick demo of the "snap" feature, it took about 20 seconds to copy and paste some text.
I quickly thought wow thats just like Vista..

win7, im not going to buy.
I will try it though later but i still dont think i will buy.

Super Spy
10-29-2009, 3:29 PM
Got my new PC on order with Win 7 installed on it. Bought a new one from Costco last week that had Vista on it, a day later they dropped the price $50 if you bought one with Win 7.....and everything I've read says Win 7 is way better than Vista so easy choice. I'll update on the new system......if anyone cares. Of course after I remove any and all traces of anything Norton or Symantec....

ldivinag
10-29-2009, 3:32 PM
holy carp...

my coworker just did a fresh install on a dell optiplex 755 and i was very surprised how fast it took!

Super Spy
10-29-2009, 3:37 PM
Vista gets slapped by the Trout of Reality!

darkshier
10-29-2009, 9:36 PM
Besides Aero Snap and Aero Shake, Windows 7 uses quite a bit less RAM than Vista. I installed 7 yesterday and notice I use about 600-700 MB of RAM at desktop idle, compared to 1GB+ of RAM when using Vista. I am happy with performance in gaming so far. Company of Heroes, Dawn of War II, Battlefield 2, all run fine, without a hitch.

The main reason I upgraded to 7, was that it cost $50 back in July, if you pre-ordered at the time. Also, I have Vista Business version which doesn't include Media Center, whereas Windows 7 Home Premium has the media center, which I have always wanted.

jwest
10-30-2009, 2:02 AM
There's been a lot of changes under the hood. The kernel has even been modified quite a bit, Vista was NT 6.0 where as 7 is NT 6.1.

Like I said in my post - 7 is Vista SP3 (6.0 vs 6.1 - a new release for a sub rev?).
Pretty much says it all.

Crosis
10-30-2009, 2:30 AM
I've been running Windows 7 for roughly 9 months now between work and personal machines used for work... I've had 1 blue screen on me...

so far no complaints with windows 7...

Vista is good for machines designed for it, it was a very heavy OS, taxed memory and disk space... Windows 7 and a lot of the new applications / programs coming are are being designed to be lighter and less load bearing...

(I work for Microsoft, but I'm not on the window's team I work in a different division all together...)

ke6guj
10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Like I said in my post - 7 is Vista SP3 (6.0 vs 6.1 - a new release for a sub rev?).
Pretty much says it all.

not the first time they did that with the numbering sequence.

Windows 2000 was NT5.0, Windows XP was NT5.1.

And there is software compatability reasons why calling it 6.1 is better than 7.0.

phish
10-30-2009, 3:01 PM
"It'll be different this time, trust me."

:rofl2:

Someoneelseok
10-30-2009, 4:07 PM
Had a bunch of my Comp Sci friends running the beta release of win7, all positive opinions, very promising.

Once the retail version came out on my MSDN account back in August (free personal copies of windows), I upgraded my desktop and laptop to 4gb of RAM, wiped Windows XP, and installed Windows 7 64bit edition. Windows 7 is good. It runs just as quick as XP, has a nicer interface and setup. Driver support is also good. I purposefully avoided Vista (i hate vista), and stuck with Windows XP, waiting for Windows 7. Windows 7 addresses a lot of the faults of Vista.

No regrets here. Assuming you have at least a dual cored PC, I would recommend Windows 7 over XP/Vista to anyone.

patman
10-30-2009, 4:51 PM
Anything special to make BF2 work?

It craps out on me with a fresh install of Win7 homepremium x64

Turned off any AV... (msse looks interesting)
Installed running as administrator.
patched 1.4 as admin
patched 1.5 as admn
redid punkbuster manually. set pnkbstra compatibility xpsp3/admin.
set bf2.exe compat xps3/admin

Single user is OK but when connecting to a network server,bf2 exits the system a couple of seconds after clicking "join."

It worked fine in vista x64 home premium on same machine?

Maybe its a signal to stop playing ;)

... Battlefield 2, all run fine, without a hitch.

ldivinag
10-30-2009, 11:53 PM
my home vista 64 took about 2.5 hours to UPGRADE.

lawnrevenge
10-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I got it free from my school. I will be doing a clean install on the laptop sometime this week and will be upgrading the desktop with a new MB, processor and more ram, HDD and vid card. The socket 939 x2 just wouldn't be worth putting 7 on.
I've been using the release candidate since august and I love it. So much faster than vista and it runs all my old software that vista couldn't.

TonyM
10-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Anything special to make BF2 work?

It craps out on me with a fresh install of Win7 homepremium x64

Turned off any AV... (msse looks interesting)
Installed running as administrator.
patched 1.4 as admin
patched 1.5 as admn
redid punkbuster manually. set pnkbstra compatibility xpsp3/admin.
set bf2.exe compat xps3/admin

Single user is OK but when connecting to a network server,bf2 exits the system a couple of seconds after clicking "join."

It worked fine in vista x64 home premium on same machine?

Maybe its a signal to stop playing ;)

Never had any issues with any of the betas from this year or the Release of Win 7. I've been installing the builds for almost 2 years. Although, one difference I have right off the top is that I always turn UAC off and never muck with having to install/run/modify as admin.

Barabas
10-31-2009, 5:36 PM
Compatibility issues are why I didn't go with Vista. I got suckered by Compaq when they released their 399 Vista ready laptops a few years ago and ended up installing Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I did end up getting XP kinda working, but with the UHA driver fiasco I was never able to get sound to work under XP.

I installed the RC1 and have been super pleased. The laptop went from a slug under Vista, and not having all of the bells and whistles under XP, wireless driver issues under Ubuntu, to working like a freaking speed demon under 7.

I installed WoW on it so my wife could check her auctions during a recent trip and she ended up doing raids it ran so well. That wasn't possible under Vista thanks to memory being hogged.

I'm looking forward to being a guinea pig for not doing a clean install from RC1 to retail Ultimate. I do the install on Tuesday, wish me luck.

patman
11-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Yup. I'm thinking freaking UAC and win7's fuddle with administrator privs' caused some problems. I installed other software that I needed then re-installed BF2 from scratch running EVERYTHING (SF,patch1.41,patch 1.5,etc) as admin that I could and setting the security privs in any BF2 folders to "any" for my login. BF2 now works.

Who knows, maybe it was the mucking to get my secure card reader software working that helped BF2 work. The good part is that my Registry now has "Grant Admin Full Control" set with an easy right click.

Never had any issues with any of the betas from this year or the Release of Win 7. I've been installing the builds for almost 2 years. Although, one difference I have right off the top is that I always turn UAC off and never muck with having to install/run/modify as admin.

Aegis
11-06-2009, 1:12 PM
Been using Windows 7 for about a week. So far so good.

Amherstclane
11-16-2009, 3:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have installed Windows 7 before 15 days and it's just amazing.Here I am sharing some experience of Windows 7.
Strengths:
So far it seems to be doing the business with the same speed as XP. Intuitive interface and navigation, uncluttered and easy to follow instructions and very nice to look at too!

Weaknesses:
Not found any yet.

Overall Evaluation:
So far so good, maybe the next worthy evolution of XP?

CSDGuy
11-26-2009, 3:01 AM
I just installed Win 7 on my desktop. So far, I'm VERY impressed with it. I've yet to find a program that I had running in Vista that doesn't run with the new OS. One minor issue that I've found is that the first time I run a program, it takes a little while to load. After that, the programs will load much faster.

What did I do? Not much. Turned off all non Microsoft stuff in the "Services" and "Startup" tabs of msconfig. Uninstalled iTunes. Turned off Norton. Did an upgrade in place. Took about an hour, easy. Turned everything back on. Easy.

All told, with getting my printers set up on the network, it probably took about 2 hours. It was a relatively painless process. Not everyone's upgrade goes as smoothly. I've done some upgrading of the Windows OS over the years, and I've never had a problem if first get the computer running only MS services. It's kind of like Safe Mode... without being in Safe Mode.

Flogger23m
11-28-2009, 3:17 PM
I am getting the student discount offer. $30 for it... can't go wrong.

I have Vista 64bit and it works great for me.

Aside from some issues with .net/frame work, I have had zero issues.

Only a few freeware programs did not work the last time I tried them a few months ago.

Blackhawk556
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
i installed windows 7 professional on two netbooks and it is running great. I've been using windows 7 since beta and have never had a blue screen.

I recommend it

vlsgmc
11-30-2009, 11:30 PM
SP3.

For me, this is a big factor in upgrading. My complaint now is about media player getting stuck/not responding at times.

I'm running Vista x64 and have had this same problem for about a month. Only hangs the first time I use it after boot, then works fine.