PDA

View Full Version : 911 call - after the shooting is over

MP301
10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Having some guy come in your house to do bad things in the middle of the night tends to get your panties in a bunch....

http://www.gundigest.com/article/armeddefense-101409-911-call-post-shooting/#

Mods please move if you want this elsewhere....

dark45
10-27-2009, 12:55 AM
poor guy, i'd hate to go throgh that kind of thing. i wonder how it was handled by the police and the whole legal side of it.

MP301
10-27-2009, 1:08 AM
I would love to know that as well... guess it depends on where it occurred

-R-
10-27-2009, 1:15 AM
I would love to know that as well... guess it depends on where it occurred

From an article I found.

Fitchburg Police updated reporters:

Police received the call at 1:51 p.m. this afternoon.

Officers found an individual shot and killed inside the home. This is in the McKee Road area. (Fitchburg, Wisconsin)

The shooter lives at the home with his mom and dad. His parents were not at home at the time of the shooting.

The shooter did not know the person killed.

The shooter is cooperating and gave statements to the Fitchburg Police Department.

At this time, he does not face any charges.

Police reiterate that no one is in danger.

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 1:20 AM
Interesting.
And Wisconsin is a no-issue state... even stun guns are illegal, and pepper spray is limited to pepper only, no combinations.

Sunwolf
10-27-2009, 7:17 AM
Sounds like a youngster,what a traumatic thing to happen.

JDoe
10-27-2009, 7:30 AM
Other updates...the fiancee makes it sound like the intruder was a good boy and the worst thing he ever did was sing too loud in the church choir!

UPDATED Thursday, September 17, 2009 --- 4:40 p.m. (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2342570/posts)

The fiancee of the man who was shot and killed after he broke into a house speaks.

Forty-one-year-old Jamie Chen was alone at his home on the 2900 block of Osmundsen Road in Fitchburg Wednesday afternoon when police say Roberto Vega-Gil broke in. Fearing for his life, Chen grabbed a gun.

A short time later he shot and killed Vega-Gil as he emerged from the basement. And now the intruder's family is trying to figure out why he did what he did.

"This is Roberto and I when we were ready to go to a baptism," said a sobbing Shelly Parnell as she held a picture of the two.

In four months, Parnell and Vega-Gil were to be married. But all their plans ended Wednesday, when Parnell got a call saying her fiancee broke into an upscale house in Fitchburg, where he was shot and killed.

"I don't see him doing this," added Parnell. "I can't fathom him doing this. It's not something he would do."

Parnell spoke to Vega-Gil, 90-minutes before the shooting. She said he was at their home recovering from a car accident that kept him from working. Now all she can do is search for answers.

"He is a very loving man," she said. "That's what doesn't make sense. We don't need anything. We didn't need anything for him to break into a house. We didn't need anything. We've got everything we need. I just can't believe he's gone."

Vega-Gil has a history of convictions dating back to the mid 1980s including, aggravating stalking, burglary while armed, theft, and forgery. He was on probation at the time of the break-in from a 2009 felony conviction.

"I can't just see him trying to attack somebody," added Parnell's cousin Brenda Lawyer. "That is not his character to just attack somebody."

But, Parnell said that Vega-Gil had a history with drugs, which may have contributed to his actions.

"He was a good person. And if he did break into that house he didn't deserve to die," stated Parnell...

And a followup story explaining that the shooter will not be charged.

FITCHBURG, Wis. -- The Dane County district attorney (http://www.channel3000.com/news/20986845/detail.html) said Friday that he will not seek charges against a Fitchburg man who shot and killed an alleged intruder of his parents' home.

Fitchburg police said that Jamie Chen shot and killed 41-year-old Roberto Vega-Gil after Vega-Gil broke into the home on Osmundsen Road in Fitchburg just before 2 p.m. Wednesday. Police said that they believe Vega-Gil was intent on burglarizing the home.

"(Chen) cooperated fully with police and what he said does match up with what we find at the scene," said District Attorney Brian Blanchard. "He called 911 first; he was extremely cooperative with police; he gave a version of events that was consistent."

Also on Friday, Dane County officials released a recording of a 911 call from Chen after the shooting.

Police said the homeowners weren't at home when the incident happened, but their 42-year-old adult son, Jamie, was. The chilling 911 call recordings shed new light on exactly what happened after Chen pulled the trigger.

"Somebody just broke into my house!" Chen told the 911 dispatcher. "He came after me ... and I shot him!"

Chen told the dispatcher that he was in his bedroom when he heard a loud noise downstairs. He said that when he opened his bedroom door, he saw Vega-Gil. Chen described Vega-Gil as a "big guy," who was running up the stairs towards him.

About five minutes after the call, police officers were at house, where Chen met officers outside in the driveway.

Police said they don't believe Vega-Gil was armed. Neither man spoke before Chen fired, authorities said.

Vega-Gil was pronounced dead at the scene by the Dane County Coroner's Office.

Investigators said that they don't believe the shooter and Vega-Gil knew each other. They said Chen has been cooperating with the investigation and that the shooting appears to be an act of self-defense.

Police said Chen isn't under arrest and is currently staying with family.

"Roberto Vega-Gil likely intended to burglarize the home," said Lt. Chad Brecklin, of the Fitchburg Police Department. "There was forced entry to a lower-level patio door. Vega-Gil was also wearing gloves when he broke into the home."

Police said Vega-Gil has a lengthy criminal history -- both in Wisconsin and in Florida. Vega-Gil had previous convictions in Florida for aggravated stalking, burglary while armed, carrying a concealed weapon, theft, and possession of burglary tools dating back to the mid 1980s, police said.

Woodymyster
10-27-2009, 7:35 AM
" I cant see him doing anything like this... He never would be the guy to break into a house..."

''Vega-Gil has a history of convictions dating back to the mid 1980s including, aggravating stalking, burglary while armed, theft, and forgery. He was on probation at the time of the break-in from a 2009 felony conviction."

I love when they say their loved ones would never doing anything wrong when they have a rap sheet

acolytes
10-27-2009, 7:46 AM
" I cant see him doing anything like this... He never would be the guy to break into a house..."

''Vega-Gil has a history of convictions dating back to the mid 1980s including, aggravating stalking, burglary while armed, theft, and forgery. He was on probation at the time of the break-in from a 2009 felony conviction."

I love when they say their loved ones would never doing anything wrong when they have a rap sheet

I hear ya! Just like when you watch the news and some gang banger gets shot, and they interview his family. It's the same speach. "He was the most gentle human being, and did everything for his family, went to church every Sunday, and did charity, went to the homeless shelter to feed the homeless, and rescued puppies from the pound etc...... When the guy has a jacket the size of Texas.

bombadillo
10-27-2009, 7:46 AM
Wow, thats eye opening. Everybody thinks they're going to save the world until they actually shoot somebody and they turn into that. If I ever have to shoot somebody, I hope I can remain calm and keep my cool so that I can accurately assess what happened because you're going to be grilled by cops later as well as potentially be sued and criminalized by our system.

Casual_Shooter
10-27-2009, 7:49 AM
"I don't see him doing this," added Parnell. "I can't fathom him doing this. It's not something he would do."

Guess the Finance didn't know about the lengthy criminal history.... :rolleyes:

Clayface
10-27-2009, 7:56 AM
Yeap.but I think an important note for the rest of us and what should be done in real life . Is ask the police to take you to the hospital because your in shok and then get a lawyer and don't speak to police. As weird as it sounds everything you say from that moment on will determined what happens to you so its best to get a lawyer and be ready to fight the other fight.

Tigercat200
10-27-2009, 8:59 AM
I believe Mas Ayoob made the point in his book "In Gravest Extreme" that you should tell the police you'll be happy to answer all their questions the next day with a lawyer present. It's too easy to get twisted around given the emotion of the moment and you need somebody on your side.

Nodda Duma
10-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Just means that when you screw up, you're not the only one it affects.

-Jaon

caoboy
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Shoot to kill.

Glad he's not being charged.

GameAPBT
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I wonder who picks up the tab when it's time to clean up? Can the home owner sue the family for carpet cleaning?