View Full Version : Sacramento County Sheriff Approving More Concealed Weapons Permits

10-26-2009, 8:05 PM
I didn't find this article posted here. I guess 37 new permits are better than 8.
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/16063/Sacramento_County_Sheriff_Approving_More_Concealed _Weapons_Permits

Sacramentans are arming themselves in increasing numbers, statistics from the Sacramento County Sheriff reveal.
Applications approved by the sheriff to carry a concealed weapon have increased more than 500 percent from 2008, statistics show. By September 30, the department had approved 37 applications to carry a concealed weapon, compared with six approved applications in 2008.

The sheriff also has been denying applications in increasing numbers: 25 applications were denied by September 30, compared with 10 permit denials in 2008. Overall, the sheriff had approved or denied 62 concealed weapon permits by October, nearly four times as many as had been processed through 2008.

Earlier this year, Sheriff John McGinness said he would consider issuing more concealed weapons permits as the Sheriff’s Department faced steep budget cuts that would lay off hundreds of deputies. “I have to be open to the potential that there will be more people in need of the ability to protect themselves as individuals," he said in May.
Since May, the sheriff’s budget has been cut by $39 million and 122 deputies have been laid off. McGinness has not responded to requests for comment on the concealed weapon permit statistics.

Sam Parades, executive director of Gun Owners of California, said the figures show a positive trend. “Concealed weapons permits holders are the most law-abiding citizens in the state of California,” he said. “Going from six to 36 is nice, but it’s really not enough. … We think that Sheriff McGinness needs to contemplate issuing more permits, especially because they all admit they’re going to have to take deputies off the street.”

Sacramento resident Geri Crawford said the statistics are a sign of the times. “I think a lot more people are interested in protecting themselves,” she said. “In general, people are more fearful now because of the Sheriff’s Department layoffs.”

Amanda Wilcox of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said the numbers are disturbing. “More CCW permits, which would result in more loaded hidden guns in public, would not make us safer and could actually increase gun violence in Sacramento County,” she said via e-mail. “There are many documented crimes and misdeeds by permit holders.”

The Brady Campaign released a study in June that said concealed weapon permit holders killed 51 people, including seven police officers, from May 2007 to April 2009. The Gun Owners Foundation, however, counters that information with data from a 1997 study sponsored by the Department of Justice that found guns are used 1.5 million times per year for self defense.

The Sacramento County Board of Supervisors recently cut the sheriff’s budget an additional $987,000, but the sheriff has stated that the cuts will not result in more deputy layoffs.

10-26-2009, 8:50 PM
WOW! 37 people have a right to defend themselves? What a guy.

10-26-2009, 9:23 PM
There is a thread about this in the handgun forum, maybe they could be merged?

(I get to use this!)
:dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:

10-26-2009, 9:42 PM
Dang it... Guess I was bound to get "Duped" sometime. Sorry, I did search just not that forum.

10-26-2009, 9:49 PM
WOW! 37 people have a right to defend themselves? What a guy.

:smilielol5:Out of how many people that live in the Sacramento area:smilielol5:

This is either a freaking joke, or an insult to people's intelligence.

10-27-2009, 2:16 AM
But only 62 people even applied this year. That's what you'll get because it was nearly impossible before.
I'm wondering if this is the sheriff going to a quasi shall issue, or most are either politically connected or are in security work.

10-27-2009, 5:59 AM
I wonder who the 37 are. Friends campaign contributers?

10-27-2009, 6:06 AM
I've said this before, applying for a CCW is like trying to get a job; The prospective employer MAY hire you but will probably give his brother the job instead.