PDA

View Full Version : Internet purchase & Transfer fee

Leanit
10-26-2009, 7:45 PM
I've been looking at a .22LR pistol to burn cheap ammo with. I selected a model that has an MSRP of $399. An online store in NC sells it for $306, and others out of state seem to be around $340-$360. The NC store looks like the winner, so I look into the requirements for having it shipped to me in California. They have a form for my local FFL's name, address, phone, fax, FFL#, etc. They also say that it's a $20 fee to have something sent TO the place I'm looking at buying from (no, that doesn't apply, but it set an expectation of what the transfer might cost).

So I pop over to my local gun shop and ask if they have the model I want in stock. They don't, but could order it. They quote me a price 10% over MSRP + the maximum allowable reg fee. Gulp. Okay, so much for trying to do business locally. I ask how much it would be to transfer a new out-of-state purchase via them. $150!!! So much for doing business at all.

I've never tried buying out of state and transfering in. Is this kind of gouging typical in the Bay Area? What am I missing? I get that a fee that high defends against competition via internet sales, but then to upcharge the customer on their own sales also? I want to support my local outfit, but I'm not a sucker. I walked. So too did my money for the pistol, or a fair transfer, ammo, and spare magazines.

freakshow10mm
10-26-2009, 7:48 PM
Plenty of more reasonable FFLs will be happy to have your business.

What are you looking for?

Barney Gumble
10-26-2009, 7:49 PM
The second sticky from the top in this forum is called "List of CA FFLs and their fee schedules". You can find an FFL with more reasonable fees there.

The ones that charge $150 simply don't want your transfer business.

foxtrotuniformlima
10-26-2009, 7:52 PM
Fill out your profile with location. That will help a lot with suggestions on where to shop and where to transfer.

There are several FFL's that do not gouge out of state transfers.

Leanit
10-26-2009, 7:59 PM
The second sticky from the top in this forum is called "List of CA FFLs and their fee schedules". You can find an FFL with more reasonable fees there.

They got their wish. I checked that list, but couldn't believe it was even for the same service, given the difference.

cgseanp1
10-26-2009, 8:01 PM
Most shops that carry a certain gun, or can get it, look down upon you ordering that same gun from somebody else and using them to receive it. They will either not accept it (I think they are allowed to not accept it), or charge you a ton... So, the gun is now cheaper to just buy from the store and not order online!
There are plenty that don't charge an arm and a leg, though.

Leanit
10-26-2009, 8:03 PM
Plenty of more reasonable FFLs will be happy to have your business.

What are you looking for?

Browning Buck Mark Practical URX w/ fiber-optic front sight.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=448&item=051448490

Leanit
10-26-2009, 8:06 PM
Most shops that carry a certain gun, or can get it, look down upon you ordering that same gun from somebody else and using them to receive it. They will either not accept it (I think they are allowed to not accept it), or charge you a ton... So, the gun is now cheaper to just buy from the store and not order online!
There are plenty that don't charge an arm and a leg, though.

Makes sense. 100%. I'm a wine guy, and I'd never bring wine to a restaurant that they offer on their list, and if I did, I'd expect them to charge corkage equal to their price of the wine ... and give me their bottle. ;-)

I just didn't expect the price-jack and the big transfer fee. You have to give a guy an option that makes him feel like he didn't get bent over.

Cokebottle
10-26-2009, 8:08 PM

+1

Local shop is $125 FFL, $30 DROS, plus they collect CA sales tax if tax was not paid on the online purchase, so that would be another $30 or so, so now you're looking at $185 total plus your $300.
Buddy imported a Ruger 5.56 at a shop near Newport for $60 OTD.

Quiet
10-26-2009, 8:25 PM
While shopping online/out-of-state, you also need to make sure the handgun you want is on the CA DOJ approved list.
Unless, you are exempt in some way (LEO/inheritance/intra-familial gift).

Browning Buck Mark Practical URX w/ fiber-optic front sight.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=448&item=051448490

FYI.

What you want is not on the CA DOJ approved list.
So, unless you are exempt, the CA FFL dealer can not legally transfer the handgun to you.

Leanit
10-27-2009, 7:37 AM
Every other Buck Mark is on that list, and there are some odd abreviations on the roster. If it's not on the list, I'll buy the identical one without the FO sight and have it added. It's all the same. Since the shop was ready to take my order, I suspect it's on the list, but named in such a fashion that I can't quite spot it.

tenpercentfirearms
10-28-2009, 6:45 AM
Every other Buck Mark is on that list, and there are some odd abreviations on the roster. If it's not on the list, I'll buy the identical one without the FO sight and have it added. It's all the same. Since the shop was ready to take my order, I suspect it's on the list, but named in such a fashion that I can't quite spot it.

Never assume a gun shop knows your gun is on the list. EVER! I honestly don't care about transfers. I do them, but since you want to order it yourself, I have no connection to the transaction. So if a non-rostered handgun shows up, I simply tell you it isn't on the list and ask you what you want me to do with your gun that I can't give you.

Now if you come into my shop, say I see this Browning online for this price and I was wondering how much I could order one from you for? then I will see what I can do for you. Usually once you take into consideration my $50 transfer fee and shipping, I can usually get pretty darn close or beat the online guys. It just depends on how crazy some of them are. When it is a gun I am ordering for you, I don't have to make as much as guns on the rack. The best part, I am selling it to you, so I will make sure everything is right. If it isn't right, I will make it right.

You order a gun from someone else and I am just transferring it? Sorry, it is not my problem.

bombadillo
10-28-2009, 7:13 AM
Find another FFL, one of my locals charge the same $150 and another charges $25 bucks. Basically one hands you lube and the other says thank you may I have another.

paul0660
10-28-2009, 7:32 AM
You need to do more looking locally. It isn't very realistic to expect the first shop you check on to have a great deal.......what was that first shop btw?

Leanit
10-28-2009, 11:10 PM
The first shop was Bullseye. I found a similar price at another shop not too far away, and a more knowledgeable guy to deal with, so I'm going that route. The dollars are about the same as ordering at Bullseye, but I just like the place better. Bullseye's $150 transfer fee really spun my head around, even though I'll end up not doing a transfer. I could have gone the internet route and saved myself a few bucks, but I'd rather establish a relationship with the local merchant.

And earlier posters were correct that the "Practical URX" I want isn't on the roster. The identical model in stainless with a different name, but otherwise identical, is. For the same price. Whatever. I don't care what color it is. I wish the roster were less cryptic in its silly abreviations. Expand the database model to take full names/descriptions. It's not that tricky ... unless you're in Sacramento and work under a dome.