PDA

View Full Version : UPS employee charged with stealing three guns from shipments

jeffyboy
10-26-2009, 5:22 PM
What a moron!!!

OAKLAND A United Parcel Service employee was charged Monday with stealing three guns from shipments, one of which was sold on the street for $300, police said.

Calvin Bailey, 22, of Oakland, was charged with three counts of grand theft and three counts of embezzlement, Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said.

Police said Bailey had admitted stealing the guns, two of which were recovered at his house.

Police said the most recent known theft was Wednesday. The other thefts happened in July and August. All were from the UPS facility on Pardee Avenue.

Authorities said UPS has a policy of screening employees with metal detectors as they leave. As Bailey was leaving the facility Wednesday morning, the detector indicated something in the area of his ankle.

Police said he fled before it could be determined what it was, but he returned to the facility Thursday and was detained for police.

A search of Bailey's residence was conducted Thursday. A semi-automatic pistol and a revolver he said were stolen from UPS shipments were recovered, police said. Police said that Bailey had admitted taking a semi-automatic pistol from the facility Wednesday and that he sold the pistol to someone on the street for $300.

No one at UPS with authority to speak about the case or Bailey's employment status could be reached for comment Monday.

jeffyboy
10-26-2009, 5:22 PM
Link to the story:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13645520?source=rss

paul0660
10-26-2009, 5:28 PM
Theoretically, this guy should get the hammer for this, because this is how all those guns get on the streets............let's watch......and while we are at it, unless Calvin was the desk clerk or got a clue from the address, how did he know there was a pistol in the box?

Gio
10-26-2009, 5:30 PM
Hope he like's being Bubba's new fresh meat ;)

-Gio

maschronic
10-26-2009, 5:31 PM
this guy is very stupid!!!

Clayface
10-26-2009, 5:53 PM
Wowzers. I hope he enjoyed the ps3 he undoubtly got with that money. What a loser . What the hell was he thinking.

wilit
10-26-2009, 5:56 PM
If it's his first offense, I'd be willing to bet he'll get off with less than 1 year. Sure hope I'm wrong.

halifax
10-26-2009, 6:02 PM
He should have been turned over to the Feds and charged on the federal level. Much harsher, little leniency.

SkatinJJ
10-26-2009, 6:13 PM
What a moron!!!

Nice sig material.:D

Send the punk away - I bet he had a sealed juvenile record.

Ohh, I just got an idea. If the guy he sold it to commits a murder, send this guy up for murder too.

Vinz
10-26-2009, 6:47 PM
so thats where my 416 upper(s) went....damn you ups damn you to helllll.

Vinz

trinydex
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
throw book at him

pingpong
10-27-2009, 12:19 AM
throw book at him

If he knew he was selling the guns to criminals, I'd like to see him get nailed for involvement in any crimes committed by those guns.

Correction: guns don't commit crimes; people commit crimes. "any crimes tied to those guns" would be a more appropriate

randy
10-27-2009, 1:13 AM
This case has slap on the wrist written all over it.

usmcchet9296
10-27-2009, 3:04 PM
This guy needs to be charged with state and federal crime and never see the light of day. This is why gun owners are always under attack. Its not the legal guns that cause the problems its the thieves that steel them and sell them on the streets.

acolytes
10-27-2009, 3:37 PM
I was talking to our UPS guy at a place I used to work at years ago, and we were talking about theft at ups. He said before UPS starting getting more strict about screening employees before they leave the hub, that employees would jack all kinds of stuff. Including guns, ammo, electronics etc.... He said it was a regular occurance at UPS.

Nessal
10-27-2009, 3:48 PM
^ Yup, a guy I know(don't want to call him a friend) said the same thing.

devilinblack
10-27-2009, 3:48 PM
So this guy wasn't even smart enough to ditch the package somewhere on his route? Makes you wonder what the guys with half a brain are walking away with?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-27-2009, 3:53 PM
So this guy wasn't even smart enough to ditch the package somewhere on his route? Makes you wonder what the guys with half a brain are walking away with?

That's an even worse idea. For one thing, it sounds like this guy wasn't a driver, sounds like he worked in the warehouse sorting stuff or something. But if a package gets tracked as going into the driver's truck and then the recipient reports never receiving it, UPS doesn't have to look real far to figure out where it went.

Darklyte27
10-27-2009, 5:30 PM
good thing he got caught..

but look at it this way, kids born in the 90s are worthless.
kids in the 80s were the last good bunch!

WeekendWarrior
10-27-2009, 8:09 PM
WWRTW

Capt. Speirs
10-27-2009, 9:24 PM
this guy is very stupid!!!

Duh, that is why he works at UPS, no offense, but you don't need a PhD.

trickyvic
10-28-2009, 9:56 AM
Stupid indeed. I can't believe he got away with it twice already. I also agree with the gent that if the firearm he sold should ever be used to cause harm, he should be charged also.

BroncoBob
10-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Morons like this continue to amaze me with their stupidity.

nick
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Theoretically, this guy should get the hammer for this, because this is how all those guns get on the streets............let's watch......and while we are at it, unless Calvin was the desk clerk or got a clue from the address, how did he know there was a pistol in the box?

Either by looking at the return address, or because he stole many other things, and just happened to stumble upon some guns every now and then.