PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Greek Service Grade Garand Mystery (with pics)

soulska
05-12-2005, 3:23 AM
I have always wanted a Garand for my Collection of rifles. I heard of the CMP and just ignored it. Well, about a year ago my long time friend got himself a Garand and I fell in love. Fast forward to a month ago I finally got all ready to get my rifle and the CMP was going to be at the Reno, Nevada gun show. I packed my crap and me and my friend took off. At the show I rushed the booth on the first day and there they were like a wet dream come true. Unfortunatly a disabled man in a wheelchair blocking the service grade Springfields, (DAMN!) just what I was looking to get. I chatted with the man and he told me that he was let in early because he was handicaped. I though that was the only right thing to do for the old guy. He already scored a rifle before or just at the opening of the show. The guy since he was taking up all the space and had first dibs on any new rifle that was put on the table, while the rest of us drooled. He then got his paws on another that looked great and he just turned around and said this one is calling out your name. I took the rifle and said thank you to the old guy and inspected it. It was just what I wanted WWII number with great matching stock and kick ***** TE and MW. I tagged her and called her mine. We then had a great time in Reno....yada yada yada....

FedEx knocks at my door and my baby has come home. I was giddy like a lil school girl. There she was in all her glory and I picked her up and gave her a name.... "Betty"... It's just jumped out. I spent the next 2 days taking her apart and cleaning. It was like a warzone at my place.. steamer,BLO,steel wool,rags,mineral sprits, and tools up the wazooo. While taking the rifle apart I noticed a little something that looked odd. I wiped away the Cosmo off the trigger housing and I noticed some what I thought were scratches. Opon further inspection and wipeing I saw characters. It took me a minute,but then realized that it was Greek writing. My mind fantasized about what the hell was written on my Garand. I thought to myself "Do I know any Greeks"? Oh yeah! my buddy Stratos(Doctor of Emergency Med) at work. I know he is Greek, but does he read and write it? I finally caught Stratos on one of my shifts (Emergency Room Nurse in Los Angeles, California) and asked him if he was able to read and wirte greek and he said "Of course" I then asked him and he was jazzed about checking the trigger group to see what it said. I rushed home today and grabbed the group and shot down back to work to meet him before he went home. Well, to make a long story short here is the translation:

Medicine ?
Demetrious
Victory Prison
Last line he could not make out...

Stratos is in his early 30's and was born in Greece, but I still would like for a second person to translate this. My brain is conjuring up all these possiblitys on what this might mean. Post war POW prison? Medicine??????? I looked up in the internet for a bit, but I was so anxious to share this with all of you, that I just started typeing. I hope one of you has any info on this. I was thinking of reparking the rifle, but now I am having second thoughts. What do you guys and gals (if any) think?

Here is a couple of pictures of my rifle. Once the translation was done I stared at the post-it and I thought my rifles name is not Betty after all... Its Demetrious.

*pictures are large, so if you are not on a high speed line pick the small versions of the pics* *Can't get a good pic of the Greek text will try again latter*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_003.jpg

soulska
05-12-2005, 3:23 AM
I have always wanted a Garand for my Collection of rifles. I heard of the CMP and just ignored it. Well, about a year ago my long time friend got himself a Garand and I fell in love. Fast forward to a month ago I finally got all ready to get my rifle and the CMP was going to be at the Reno, Nevada gun show. I packed my crap and me and my friend took off. At the show I rushed the booth on the first day and there they were like a wet dream come true. Unfortunatly a disabled man in a wheelchair blocking the service grade Springfields, (DAMN!) just what I was looking to get. I chatted with the man and he told me that he was let in early because he was handicaped. I though that was the only right thing to do for the old guy. He already scored a rifle before or just at the opening of the show. The guy since he was taking up all the space and had first dibs on any new rifle that was put on the table, while the rest of us drooled. He then got his paws on another that looked great and he just turned around and said this one is calling out your name. I took the rifle and said thank you to the old guy and inspected it. It was just what I wanted WWII number with great matching stock and kick ***** TE and MW. I tagged her and called her mine. We then had a great time in Reno....yada yada yada....

FedEx knocks at my door and my baby has come home. I was giddy like a lil school girl. There she was in all her glory and I picked her up and gave her a name.... "Betty"... It's just jumped out. I spent the next 2 days taking her apart and cleaning. It was like a warzone at my place.. steamer,BLO,steel wool,rags,mineral sprits, and tools up the wazooo. While taking the rifle apart I noticed a little something that looked odd. I wiped away the Cosmo off the trigger housing and I noticed some what I thought were scratches. Opon further inspection and wipeing I saw characters. It took me a minute,but then realized that it was Greek writing. My mind fantasized about what the hell was written on my Garand. I thought to myself "Do I know any Greeks"? Oh yeah! my buddy Stratos(Doctor of Emergency Med) at work. I know he is Greek, but does he read and write it? I finally caught Stratos on one of my shifts (Emergency Room Nurse in Los Angeles, California) and asked him if he was able to read and wirte greek and he said "Of course" I then asked him and he was jazzed about checking the trigger group to see what it said. I rushed home today and grabbed the group and shot down back to work to meet him before he went home. Well, to make a long story short here is the translation:

Medicine ?
Demetrious
Victory Prison
Last line he could not make out...

Stratos is in his early 30's and was born in Greece, but I still would like for a second person to translate this. My brain is conjuring up all these possiblitys on what this might mean. Post war POW prison? Medicine??????? I looked up in the internet for a bit, but I was so anxious to share this with all of you, that I just started typeing. I hope one of you has any info on this. I was thinking of reparking the rifle, but now I am having second thoughts. What do you guys and gals (if any) think?

Here is a couple of pictures of my rifle. Once the translation was done I stared at the post-it and I thought my rifles name is not Betty after all... Its Demetrious.

*pictures are large, so if you are not on a high speed line pick the small versions of the pics* *Can't get a good pic of the Greek text will try again latter*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_003.jpg

Turbinator
05-12-2005, 6:24 AM
Cool. Try this website and let us know what you find.

http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon/

I like how the scribbles on the post-it were on a biotech / med company post-it. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Sorta adds dimension to your story, since your buddy is a doctor at the local emergency room.

Turby

icormba
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
soulska,
looks GREAT as is!

soulska
05-12-2005, 4:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icormba:
soulska,
looks GREAT as is! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks icormba I love it also....