PDA

View Full Version : Cheap safe

barbasiewiczfan
06-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Go to Home Depot and buy a Greenlee tool box. They are a little over $225. These are similiar to the more expensive Knnack boxes that contractors use to lock up tools on a job site. Bolt it to the a cement floor using Red Heads or 6" wood screws into a wooden floor. The best security is to not let anyone know what you have. Bruce

pogo
07-06-2005, 9:41 AM
Good idea Barbasiewiczfan, I'd thought about going that route but didn't know they were that cheap at HD.

stealthgoat
07-06-2005, 9:13 PM
This idea would work great for me!
Maybe just mount a truck bed style tool box under my workbench - local Kragen auto parts has a cheap one for $125.
The truck bed boxes are pretty deep so you could stack several layers in there with maybe wood dowels or soemthing in between as spacers.
May be a stupid question but is there any downside to storing rifles horizontal as opposed to stacked vertical? Could stocks warp or anything??
Good idea, thanks!
Tim

pogo
07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Safes sitting directly on the concrete seem to attract humidity, an air gap is desireable, maybe there's a way to bolt it down through a skirt of 2X4s into the concrete and not compromise security.