PDA

View Full Version : City PD issue with obtaining FFL

general jacks
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
These are excerpts from the Police Chief's denial letter of my FFL," In the City of #%$##%#, there used to be gun dealers who sold guns from their residence, but those have been eliminated" "The city municipal Code...requires approval by the Chief of Police" and finally, "In this case, I must deny your request for endorsement to operate a firearms business"

The municipal Code states, "Such licenses shall be issued in the form prescribed by the Attorney General" and "The said licenses shall be issued only after a report in writing concerning said prospective licensee has been made by the Chief of Police to the City Manager. Said Linceses shall not be issued to any person who: A. Has been convicted of a felony B. Has been convicted of any violations of the Dangerous Weapons Control Law; or C. Is not of good moral character"

Looks pretty clear to me that the Chief is basing his denial on his personal feelings or an unwritten law.

I plan on moving forward to battle the city, but am looking for more input.

Thanks

00BuckShot
10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I know of several City that have Codes forbidding FFL, without a storefront. My buddy lost his FFL for this reason.

1923mack
10-26-2009, 1:24 PM
If you are applying for an out of home FFL, then they will use lots of building code issues. Parking, Zoning, security, access and that kind of stuff. You can fight it, put their lawyers are free to them, yours is gonna cost you $250 an hour.

Capt. Speirs
10-26-2009, 3:05 PM
These are excerpts from the Police Chief's denial letter of my FFL," In the City of #%$##%#, there used to be gun dealers who sold guns from their residence, but those have been eliminated" "The city municipal Code...requires approval by the Chief of Police" and finally, "In this case, I must deny your request for endorsement to operate a firearms business"

The municipal Code states, "Such licenses shall be issued in the form prescribed by the Attorney General" and "The said licenses shall be issued only after a report in writing concerning said prospective licensee has been made by the Chief of Police to the City Manager. Said Linceses shall not be issued to any person who: A. Has been convicted of a felony B. Has been convicted of any violations of the Dangerous Weapons Control Law; or C. Is not of good moral character"

Looks pretty clear to me that the Chief is basing his denial on his personal feelings or an unwritten law.

I plan on moving forward to battle the city, but am looking for more input.

Thanks

I was the first to get PD approval for home FFL in ten years here in my city. I thank Bob from RK Enterprises (FFL how to company) for showing me how to do it. This is a case of discrimination in my opinion, Bob has a form letter of intent to show the PD and it worked for me. At this point it looks like you need Bobís advice (probably going to have to by his kit, great kit by the way) or get an attorney, good luck.

billslugg
10-26-2009, 5:25 PM
"The said licenses shall be issued only after a report in writing concerning said prospective licensee has been made by the Chief of Police to the City Manager.

As this ordinance is written, if the Chief does not issue a report you are out of luck. There is no stipulation that the Chief make a report. The "moral character" requirement could preclude those who are so base as to challenge the Chief. I would send polite letters to the Chief offering to work out any difficulties he has with it. Then I would talk to some of the city council members. Then talk with an attorney.

Capt. Speirs
10-29-2009, 9:42 AM
"The said licenses shall be issued only after a report in writing concerning said prospective licensee has been made by the Chief of Police to the City Manager.

As this ordinance is written, if the Chief does not issue a report you are out of luck. There is no stipulation that the Chief make a report. The "moral character" requirement could preclude those who are so base as to challenge the Chief. I would send polite letters to the Chief offering to work out any difficulties he has with it. Then I would talk to some of the city council members. Then talk with an attorney.

Bob, from RK Enterprises, has a lot of experiance with matters like this. I would at least call him first for advice.

Best time to call is between 4 and 5 pm PST 805-687-1416