PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for a CCW commercial?

Ross
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
After listening to all those "I used to be an E-bay exec and that's I should be the goobernater" commercials, I came up with this as a statewide (or local) commercial.

Commercial opens showing a young woman, with or without kids, at night, walking to her car, alone.

A bad guy or two start advancing upon her, with a knife or other weapon, making it quite clear "no" would not be an acceptable answer from her.

Then the words "One of her state senators can obtain a CCW and defend herself, why can't you?"

It seems to work for "Dial a Prayer Security System", why not the voter's rights for a CCW?

Just a thought before the 2010 elections...

lazyworm
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
How much would something like this cost?

JagerTroop
10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
How much would something like this cost?

Between all of us, I'm sure we've got the video capabilities, actors, crew, props, etc. The biggest cost would be airtime. I'm available to help out, if this is done in Nor Cal.

covertcombatant
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
I have the lights, and the access to the generator along with other stuff needed to light a commercial.

covertcombatant
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
If a person was to write a script for a commercial it would be nice to include statistics in California. For instance a woman is raped every ( insert time). A home invasion occurs (insert time). Just an idea to make people think that eventually they are going to become part of one of those statistics.

Greg-Dawg
10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
There's already one: calccw.com.

audihenry
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll help with decals, if we need any.

locosway
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
There's already one: calccw.com.

It's just forums...

Even if it was just a youtube video to start, if it goes viral the media would pick it up.

Also, there's google TV too. I'm not sure how well it works, but they keep advertising it.

M47_Dragon
10-26-2009, 4:16 PM
I have a semi-pro camera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_AG-DVX100) that is capable of doing broadcast quality work.

I also am good friends with an actor/writer/director who is always looking to add stuff to her reel. She is attractive (could be the female lead), has access to crew. I wouldn't want to donate her services without checking with her, but if this gets serious, I can talk to her.

Super Spy
10-26-2009, 4:38 PM
Sounds well worth doing. How can I help?

ZRT650
10-26-2009, 4:44 PM
I think this would be a great way to get the ball rolling in ca. I think we should start a donation to fund this project I'm sure everyone on here would at least donate a few dollars to the cause. Find out how much something like this would cost and I would do all that I can to help out. People in counties such as san mateo really need something strong to change the minds of the community.

DippyPower
10-26-2009, 5:15 PM
If/when this commercial happens we may want to think carefully about the ethnicity of the actors. If we are not careful, this could just as easily backfire in the media as us advocating shooting an ethnicity on sight, just because of a stereotype in the minds of the media/sheeple.

Walker
10-26-2009, 5:22 PM
Well it looks like most of the states on offenders are 10 years out of date but it is still something to go on when planing how the attacker would look and type of weapon he should use.

http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-offenders

M47_Dragon
10-26-2009, 5:22 PM
If someone starts to work out ideas for scripting - a few things to keep in mind:

Write for a :60 second commercial. You edit the final :60 spot into a :30, and then further into a :15. This way, you are ready to fit your spot into any available timing slot. You can also buy airtime "packages" easier this way.

Example - the :60 would have the pertinent statistics, more of a dramatic set-up (unless you've done it before, you'd be surprised how hard it is to fill up :60 and still keep the message concise), maybe the :30 would have less of a set-up, fewer amount of stats. The :15 may just be like the OP described - the lady, the bad guy, the message about CCW.

Just throwing some stuff out there...

M47_Dragon
10-26-2009, 5:26 PM
If/when this commercial happens we may want to think carefully about the ethnicity of the actors...

I think the alarm company commercials were thinking along similar lines. I think all of their commercials feature white guy breaking into the white home. I think maybe one I've seen has a Latina and her daughter, with their door being kicked by a white guy.

k1dude
10-26-2009, 7:12 PM
I'll volunteer to be the bad guy in the commercial. I'm Asian/American Indian/White. No one will have any clue what my ethnicity is. How can any group complain when I'm a total mutt?

Is he white? Nah. Is he asian? Nah. Is he indian? Nah. Is he hispanic? Nah. Is he alien? Hmm, ...nah. Then what the h**l is he?

patsline74
10-26-2009, 7:13 PM
Throwin in my .02, I think its an awesome idea. I think it will hit a lot of people who want to protect themselves but don't know how (I know a lot of people who have never heard of a CCW).

Swatguy10_15
10-26-2009, 7:35 PM
This is AWESOME! Thats a reaalllly really good idea. Between youtube and tv one can really get this out there,Ill gladly chip in some bucks to help!

JDoe
10-26-2009, 8:05 PM
Thoughts / Brainstorming

1. Keep in mind the audience. We aren't seeking to appeal to other Calgunners but to voters who may be afraid of guns and probably believe that calling 911/the police will protect them nearly instantly. People need to know they are on their own for at least a few minutes and what can happen in a few minutes.

2. Shooting several or more commercials might be a good idea as long as everyone involved is ready. These commercials can go on YouTube and be viewed on demand in addition to possibly being run on TV.

3. NOT using a firearm in a self defense scene might be useful to show that just the threat of having a concealed handgun can sometimes be enough to avoid trouble. For example: Intended victim when confronted by a threat makes a motion reaching for the CCW and the bad guy flees without a handgun even being seen in the commercial. It could be as simple as a woman alone in a parking garage being confronted by the stereotypical white bad guy who flees upon seeing her look of determination to survive as she reaches into her purse and obviously grasps a handgun (that is never seen by the bad guy).

4. Make note of the fact that nearly all states now have shall issue ccw and there isn't blood running in the streets. This could be a lead in to a piggy back ad for California residents to sign up for a Utah, Florida and etc. non-resident CCW permit course. I bet a whole lot of Californians have never dreamed that they too could get a non-resident CCW permit from another state that would allow them to legally carry concealed in specific (but not all and not in California).

5. Somewhere, somehow can the message that the only people who obey gun laws are law abiding citizens be worked in to a commercial? Criminals aren't affected by gun control because they are criminals.

6. Another idea is to disclose how many minutes on average it takes for the police to show up for an assault/murder/violent crime in progress. That the police have no requirement to protect legally (cite the court cases), etc.

7. This isn't about politics in the sense of liberal vs conservative. This is about a right to self defense that every human has. Would it hurt to mention some religious references for the right to self defense?

8. Blanketing California with these commercials might be too expensive, especially if countered by anti-gunners bankrolled by a gazillionaire. Perhaps it would make more sense for these types of commercials to be run where they can have the greatest effect. Perhaps these commercials could have the greatest effect upon the most voters when run in support of a Sheriff candidate that strongly supports effective shall issue.

MP301
10-27-2009, 1:00 AM
Between all of us, I'm sure we've got the video capabilities, actors, crew, props, etc. The biggest cost would be airtime. I'm available to help out, if this is done in Nor Cal.

Im in.....

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 1:33 AM
If/when this commercial happens we may want to think carefully about the ethnicity of the actors. If we are not careful, this could just as easily backfire in the media as us advocating shooting an ethnicity on sight, just because of a stereotype in the minds of the media/sheeple.
I'm a 6'3" 200lb WASP with a shaved head and ink on my upper arms... would be more than happy to be one of the "bad guys"

My voice wouldn't be too threatening, but I would assume this would not be a speaking part.

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 1:38 AM
Well it looks like most of the states on offenders are 10 years out of date but it is still something to go on when planing how the attacker would look and type of weapon he should use.

http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-offenders
I like this:
# In 2001, 11% of rapes involved the use of a weapon 3% used a gun, 6% used a knife, and 2 % used another form of weapon.2
# 84% of victims reported the use of physical force only.2
Depicting this in the commercial would NOT show a potential CCW holder getting into a gunfight on a public street. It could simply show the act of brandishing and the assailant fleeing.

The "public gunfight" is one of the strongest arguments the anti's tend to use against us.

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 1:39 AM
If someone starts to work out ideas for scripting - a few things to keep in mind:

Write for a :60 second commercial. You edit the final :60 spot into a :30, and then further into a :15. This way, you are ready to fit your spot into any available timing slot. You can also buy airtime "packages" easier this way.

Example - the :60 would have the pertinent statistics, more of a dramatic set-up (unless you've done it before, you'd be surprised how hard it is to fill up :60 and still keep the message concise), maybe the :30 would have less of a set-up, fewer amount of stats. The :15 may just be like the OP described - the lady, the bad guy, the message about CCW.

Just throwing some stuff out there...
And 15 and 30 second radio spots.

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 1:54 AM
and probably believe that calling 911/the police will protect them nearly instantly. People need to know they are on their own for at least a few minutes and what can happen in a few minutes.
6. Another idea is to disclose how many minutes on average it takes for the police to show up for an assault/murder/violent crime in progress. That the police have no requirement to protect legally (cite the court cases), etc.

Excellent.
Perhaps a bit too graphic for prime-time, but okay for Youtube and non-prime time...

Attacker approaches victim.
Victim dials 911.
Phone is dropped as attacker pushes victim back into her car.
Muffled screams coming from the car as the camera zooms in on the phone with the dispatcher's voice saying "911 Emergency, please state the nature of your emergency"
Fade audio, holding camera on phone, while narrator reads her script (I think a female narrator would be good).
Close with sounds of the attacker running away while the now battered victim's hand with a torn sleeve comes into view reaching weakly for the phone (camera still focused on the phone) and a siren in the distance, perhaps with a red/blue flashing glow from down the block around the corner.
Close with narration "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"
(just kidding about the closing line, we don't want to trash our police departments)
5. Somewhere, somehow can the message that the only people who obey gun laws are law abiding citizens be worked in to a commercial? Criminals aren't affected by gun control because they are criminals.
Another good point, but it would be hard to show that without displaying illegal CCW or displaying a mythical assault weapon.

That could be a better for secondary campaign, pointing out something like:
"The students involved in the Columbine massacre were in violation of 22 Colorado State and Federal BATF weapons statutes. Would ONE MORE LAW have stopped them?"

JagerTroop
10-27-2009, 7:09 AM
Being that people ALREADY look at me like I'm a criminal ( 6'4", 325lbs, white, full sleeves, shaved head, just scary looking in general) I'd volunteer for the part of the BG.

On a side note, one thing I used to love to do was walk through South Coast Plaza, and watch all the women clutch their purses a little tighter when I walked by :D One woman actually (while walking toward me) moved to the other side of her husband/boyfriend (puting him between us) and grabbed his arm really tight :rofl2: Then I walk into Tiffany & Co. and watch the guard get antsy. Or walk through Nordstroms and have a clerk follow he through the entire store, but never offer to help me :no:

Ross
10-27-2009, 3:46 PM
Wow, guess the energy for this shouldn't be too much of a surprise after seeing my wife's reaction ot the idea.

As she though the whole thing through she had one question "when can I get my CCW?"

This is something which can work. Does anybody have the time to devote? A few $$ here and few $$ there can pay for the air time.

Can anybody say see it as the local spot on "Survivor"?

Capt. Speirs
10-27-2009, 10:16 PM
YouTube is littered with clips like this, you will have to go main stream to get any real attention.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/soZT__WQKsM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/soZT__WQKsM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Lifetime, Oxygen, home shopping channels, Animal Planet.....

JDoe
10-28-2009, 1:25 AM
Close with narration "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"
(just kidding about the closing line, we don't want to trash our police departments)

Yes we don't want to trash the police or any other potential ally, how about "when seconds count, help can be minutes away"?

A new reality show called "Urban Survivor"?

Also worth checking out is Oleg Volks site http://www.a-human-right.com/ someone might get some other ideas from the photos and posters on his site.

http://www.a-human-right.com/s_racist.jpg

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/34395-2/cant_run_8562web.jpg

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/34116-2/waiting_8818web.jpg

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/33989-2/hollywood_8691web.jpg

Cokebottle
10-28-2009, 2:36 AM
Yes we don't want to trash the police or any other potential ally, how about "when seconds count, help can be minutes away"?

I think just the siren in the background and a "paid for" banner would suffice.

I really like this one. Throws the whole "gun toting redneck racist" idea back in their faces.
http://www.a-human-right.com/s_racist.jpg

Capt. Speirs
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Going in the right direction, however I would watch for slander and/or copy right infringement on the videos. Maybe a fresh approach without taking Brinks into consideration. Show the mother heading upstairs with daughter as she is pulling her cell from her hip to dial 911. As they barricade themselves in the bedroom with the bed between them and the door, she reaches under the bed for the shotgun and at the same time 911 operator comes on. The mother quickly lays down the phone on the bed in front of her and racks the shotgun while yelling out I have a gun and I will shoot you if you come through the door, leave now". This way a tape recorded message of the event is on file and the police will be dispatched right away and they know she is armed so there are no accidents. I do not trust the alarm company at all to be competent. An alarm can be sounding in the back ground, for added drama. But I agree with you, a desperate perp is not going to stop with an alarm sounding off.

Purple K
12-09-2009, 12:20 PM
One of my nephews is an award winning director of short films and music videos. I'll ask if he's willing to help out.

Decoligny
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
How about a split screen ad?

Have the same scenario played out right next to each other, one with a victim, the other with a armed citizen.

Left Side - Defenseless Woman---------------------------------------------Right Side - Woman with CCW
Woman walks toward car---------------------------------------------------Woman walks toward car
Bad Guys approach---------------------------------------------------------Bad Guys approach
Woman goes for phone-----------------------------------------------------Woman goes for gun
Woman gets dragged into van-----------------------------------------------Bad Guys run scared back to van
Show droppedphone, operator says "911 what's your emergency?"------------Show woman driving away
Show woman in hospital with bruises and cuts, rape victim--------------------Show woman hugging kids, safe at home

Purple K
12-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Have the same scenario played out right next to each other, one with a victim, the other with a armed citizen.

Left Side - Defenseless Woman-----------------------------------------Right Side - Woman with CCW
Woman walks toward car-----------------------------------------------Woman walks toward car
Bad Guys approach---------------------------------------------------- Bad Guys approach
Woman goes for phone-------------------------------------------------Woman goes for gun
Woman gets dragged into van------------------------------------------Bad Guys run scared back to van
Show phone on ground, 911 operator saying "anyone there?"-------------Show woman driving away
Show woman in hospital with bruises and cuts, rape victim---------------Show woman at home hugging kids, safe mother

^^^^^ Best idea so far!!!

k1dude
12-09-2009, 1:04 PM
Decoligny, good idea. I like it!

ChrisO
12-09-2009, 1:08 PM

Left Side - Defenseless Woman---------------------------------------------Right Side - Woman with CCW
Woman walks toward car---------------------------------------------------Woman walks toward car
Bad Guys approach---------------------------------------------------------Bad Guys approach
Woman goes for phone-----------------------------------------------------Woman goes for gun
Woman gets dragged into van-----------------------------------------------Bad Guys run scared back to van
Show droppedphone, operator says "911 what's your emergency?"------------Show woman driving away
Show woman in hospital with bruises and cuts, rape victim--------------------Show woman hugging kids, safe at home

AWESOME IDEA!!! That is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Walker
12-09-2009, 3:52 PM
I have to agree that is a great idea.

Dwight K. Schrute
12-09-2009, 4:02 PM

I like the idea I really do. But at what point does it become appropriate to pull out the gun? What if the perp is just walking towards his own car in the same general direction. Probably would be safe to have the BG make a threatening comment right? Awesome idea.

How about the woman on the left could also take out some pepper spray, but it doesn't stop the BG?

ChrisO
12-09-2009, 4:59 PM
Possibly have the woman with the CCW take all necessary steps to persuade the BG to back off like a warning, Then of course the BG not listening grabs a knife or reaches for the woman? The woman pulls her pistol in a life and death situation, I also think it might be a good idea to have a woman with a child.

djbooya
12-09-2009, 5:58 PM
You can use this service to easily post to Google TV:

www.spotmixer.com

It's my company's B2B offering. Some folks have already used it to get their ads posted on Cable Networks. Not sure on the pricing, but it's made for SMB sized customers so I'm guessing it's in the 100s for the Google TV portion.

Stormfeather
12-09-2009, 9:40 PM
Great Ideas here guys! Keep them rolling in! Count me in if you need BG talent or a donation!