PDA

View Full Version : 75 rounds magazines

Post 88
10-26-2009, 9:32 AM
Hi,

I wonder if

1.I can sell the 75 rounds magazine to other state's residents via e-bay or else.

2. How to import the 75 rounds magazine and make the BATF believes that I will only sell them to other states?(approval letter from them? what branch of them?)

Thanks for any kind of help in advance.

69Mach1
10-26-2009, 9:35 AM
You will need a high cap mag permit to import them. BATF doesn't give a crap. It's the CA DOJ that we're talking about here.

Decoligny
10-26-2009, 9:36 AM
BATF could give a rat's patootie if you sell 75 round magazines. BATF is Federal and there is no Federal restriction on selling >10 round magazines.

DOJ is who you need to deal with. I believe that you need to get a specific license to sell "High Capacity" magazines. They would only be able to be sold to LEO's and possibly shipped to out of state buyers.

Post 88
10-26-2009, 9:42 AM
Thanks. Guys.

So I need to contact CA DOJ first.

Sniper3142
10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure but...

If you are SELLING to someone in ANOTHER STATE, I don't believe you need to contact CA DOJ at all. You also don't need a permit to sell to someone in Another State, unless that state requires it.

You could just as easily, and legally go over to AZ and ship them from there.

CA DOJ and permits become involved when one is either IMPORTING INTO CALIFORNIA or selling to someone IN CALIFORNIA.

Decoligny
10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure but...

If you are SELLING to someone in ANOTHER STATE, I don't believe you need to contact CA DOJ at all. You also don't need a permit to sell to someone in Another State, unless that state requires it.

You could just as easily, and legally go over to AZ and ship them from there.

CA DOJ and permits become involved when one is either IMPORTING INTO CALIFORNIA or selling to someone IN CALIFORNIA.

However, if the OP is BUYING 75 round magazines and those magazines come into California and then he is going to be reselling those magazines to people out of state, he would still need to have a permit from DOJ in order to legally import those magazines. It appears that the OP wants to be able to get ahold of 75 round magazines and sell them via eBay. It might not be cost effective to have to drive to Arizona everytime he sells a magazine on the internet. Quick way to turn $5.00 in profit into $50.00 in losses.

nhanson
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Import for sale or manufacture high cap mag requires a CA DOJ permit. Most 01 and 07 FFLs have them as a normal course of business but, since "magazines" are not FFL material for regulation on inter state commerce not sure what CA would just to start a "magazine manufacturing business"........

DarkHorse
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
You cannot sell firearm magazines on eBay anymore.

Decoligny
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Import for sale or manufacture high cap mag requires a CA DOJ permit. Most 01 and 07 FFLs have them as a normal course of business but, since "magazines" are not FFL material for regulation on inter state commerce not sure what CA would just to start a "magazine manufacturing business"........

Since the law reads:

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

I would feel pretty confident that CA DOJ would definitely require a permit for you to MANUFACTURE them.

Technical Ted
10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
2. How to import the 75 rounds magazine and make the BATF believes that I will only sell them to other states?(approval letter from them? what branch of them?).
If by "import" he means to bring the magazines into the US from another country, then the BATF will have plenty to say about said importation.

nhanson
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
If by "import" he means to bring the magazines into the US from another country, then the BATF will have plenty to say about said importation.

Agreed!....I was referring to "import into the state" as cited in the penal code.

Digital_Boy
10-26-2009, 1:23 PM
Out of curiousity Post88, what magazines are you looking at importing? Not that I could purchase any, but not too many firearms I know of even have magazines that large, aside from the P-90/PS-90 and certain drum magazines.

Post 88
10-26-2009, 1:46 PM
Hi,

It is for AK look alike semi auto self loading target-shooting not so accurate rifle. I come across a supplier but before I make any move I want to see if I could import them from Asia, not make in China.

Group buy possible. Opp. Wrong forum.

I once have a AK with bi-pod and a fifty round magazine. It look like a RPK but alot cheaper.

bohoki
10-26-2009, 2:02 PM
sounds like its even illegal for a person in california to sell a large cap mag to someone out of state too

Post 88
10-26-2009, 2:38 PM
"sounds like its even illegal for a person in california to sell a large cap mag to someone out of state too "

ug. oh! bad news to me.

Quiet
10-26-2009, 6:47 PM
See bold.

Also, only FFL dealers can get a large capacity magazine permit.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Penal Code 12079
(a) Upon a showing that good cause exists, the Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, transportation, or sale between a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071 and an out-of-state client, of large capacity magazines.
(b) For purposes of this section, "large capacity magazine" shall have the same meaning as that set forth in paragraph (25) of subdivision (c) of Section 12020.

Swatguy10_15
10-27-2009, 6:05 PM
Hi post 88, this is a no go..Unless youre an existing FFL, you wont get a hi cap permit.On top of that importing these into the COUNTRY let alone the state is alot wading through regulations and such..Might wanna check with ATF after all...Also noting that youll have a hard time with CADOJ trying to import these as in theyre eyes theres a risk that us evil californians will get our hands on them..This sounds like a heck of alot more risk than worth a few bucks..just my 1.5 cents :rolleyes:

CHS
10-27-2009, 6:26 PM
sounds like its even illegal for a person in california to sell a large cap mag to someone out of state too

That's true. Even if you own and possess a legal hi-cap mag in CA, you cannot offer it for sale EVEN TO OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS.

The nice thing is, it at least keeps the mags inside the state :)

CnCFunFactory
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
good luck with your ebay sales. :43:

Post 88
10-28-2009, 2:33 PM
How about only the magazine body? No spring, no followers, etc.