PDA

View Full Version : Modesto FNRA Gun-O-Rama REVIEW

Lancear15
10-26-2009, 8:42 AM
I went to the event this weekend and unfortunately I can't say I will go to another. To be perfectly honest I might feel differently if I had won a gun, but I seriously doubt it. Most every gun there was not something I would want, other then the Springfield M1-A in the special auction for people who purchased $300 or more worth of tickets.(which I did) There were a little over 200 people there by my rough count. Just before the last drawing, the MC asked if everyone had a good time and maybe 2 people clapped. Most everyone I socialized with expressed they felt the tickets where to expensive at $20s each. So if you buy $300s worth of tickets you have a 15 out of 50 chance to win a gun that you could have bought for just a little more money.

The event as a whole seemed very unorganized, the raffles started only minutes after the doors where opened. With the tables displaying the guns up for raffle so crowded, people where purchasing tickets and entering them in without much of an idea of what was up for grabs. There was some what of a mad dash to get in the early games "before all the good stuff was gone" even though most everyone had no idea what the good stuff was, or if there even was any good stuff. The selection of guns was lack luster IMO.

To top it all off the food was bad cafeteria food. When someone goes to an event and spends $25 just to get in and hundreds of dollars on raffle tickets, they should at least get a decent meal, or a T-Shirt, or something. They were selling T-Shirts at the event, I didn't see a single shirt sold though. They were a bright yellow with cartoon-ish writing. I can't see anyone other then a child wanting to wear the shirts they were selling.

I don't want anyone to think I am just pissed that I went and didn't win anything. I of coarse expected not to win, I just wanted to have a good time. I make a very good living and burn much more money than this all the time. I just want to give my honest opinion to my fellow calgunners.

Gary13
10-26-2009, 9:48 AM
I can't really disagree with anything you wrote, and I did win a gun. It would have been better to have the sale of raffle tickets away from the guns so that you could take a look at them without all that going on. I did write a recap on the post announcing this.

I may, or may not make it to another one.

AngelDecoys
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
The guns chosen are generally picked by the committee. VOLUNTEERING is a great way to have some influence next year on the guns to be raffled, and to help build the type of dinner you'd like to attend.

FYI - Typically, there's a standard package of 5 guns. The rest are up to the committee. Sometimes committees pick high end, sometimes a mix, sometimes the low end firearms.

At only 200 in attendance it would be fairly tough to offer a lot of firearms and make a profit (unless one wants a wall of Negants). A ratio of 10 people/firearm is fairly typical.

Caterer (and menu) also is typically picked by the Committee. When I was Chairman of the Stockton club, we always had a sit down dinner and was served. That is not typical anymore even at $50/ticket (The food at our dinner hovers at $25/plate alone).

You mentioned that your ticket was $25. At $25/plate, I wonder if the club even broke even on food, hall rental, security, bar, and insurance. At $25, you shouldn't have expected more than buffet.

Raffles can vary. I've seen them range from $10-$20 per game. Remember, this is primarily a fund raiser. There is often a mistaken impression that the dinner is somehow a 'thank you' to NRA members. The intent is solely to raise money for the various programs around California and the US.

While FNRA dinners are not 'black tie' events, they also are not 'soccer/crab feed' types of fund raisers either. Admittedly, these days I attend more DU dinners than FNRA dinners but typically a FNA dinner is not the place to bring kids.

I know your post was just to vent and express disappointment. I highly recommend you get involved next year, underwrite an item, solicit donations, donate a firearm, or take a position where you can actually make decisions. If nothing else I hope you send your comments to the Committee (or Field Rep) for their review.

Lancear15
10-26-2009, 1:50 PM
Caterer (and menu) also is typically picked by the Committee. When I was Chairman of the Stockton club, we always had a sit down dinner and was served. That is not typical anymore even at $50/ticket (The food at our dinner hovers at $25/plate alone).

You mentioned that your ticket was $25. At $25/plate, I wonder if the club even broke even on food, hall rental, security, bar, and insurance. At $25, you shouldn't have expected more than buffet.

You had 2 choices, a hot dog or 3 small hamburgers(sliders), neither of which was any good, both came with a small side of fries. no condiments even, other then typical fast food packets of ketchup, mustard and relish.

It was the first event of its type in California, hopefully it will improve with time.

AngelDecoys
10-26-2009, 2:04 PM
That's unfortunate. That fare is not typical of FNRA dinners.

It was the first event of its type in California, hopefully it will improve with time.

BTW - FNRA has been in CA well over 14 years. Its not Modesto's first dinner.

Lancear15
10-26-2009, 2:06 PM

First "Gun-O-Rama" in California, at the event they said it has been done in Alaska with success, but this was the first one in California.

Gary13
10-26-2009, 2:11 PM

Interesting since they said this was a new format that had been tried I think in Alaska. At least that is what I heard.

I am not saying I had a bad time, heck, I won a gun and broke even, but there was room for improvement. Also, I met some nice people.

762cavalier
10-26-2009, 2:26 PM
Angeldecoys I can't speak of the modesto Gunorama as I am on the Elk Grove committee. This was not a dinner. it is a Gunorama. This is the first time this has been done and modesto was first. Ours in Elk Grove is next. It is basically just a gun raffle. The FFL puts up the guns the goal is to double the money the gun is worth. Half goes back to pay the FFL for his guns.
I will take the complaints here to heart and try to help resolve the perceived issues. Again this is a learning experience and if it goes well it will happen more often. Our tickets are 20 to get in the door, and we will be serving Tri-tip sandwiches and chips

Lancear15- I am sorry you didn't enjoy the experience. Don't let it put you off the FNRA as the dinners are AWESOME. I will also be showing this thread to the FNRA rep so we can fine tune the experience and make it better. As has been said this was the very first one of its kind ever. It will continue to be a learning experience.

AngelDecoys
10-26-2009, 2:27 PM
Probably just first "Gun-O-Rama." (whatever that is) Modesto has been doing dinners for a long time.

Interesting since they said this was a new format that had been tried I think in Alaska.

Not familiar with the Gun-O-Rama. Apparently not a 'dinner.' Glad you met some nice people. Awful friendly room with all the 'like minds'.

ETA: 762cavalier - Thanks for the clarification. I'm not familiar with the Gun-O-Rama format. Will try and attend in the near future.

Lancear15
10-26-2009, 3:03 PM
Lancear15- I am sorry you didn't enjoy the experience. Don't let it put you off the FNRA as the dinners are AWESOME. I will also be showing this thread to the FNRA rep so we can fine tune the experience and make it better. As has been said this was the very first one of its kind ever. It will continue to be a learning experience.

I'll likely attend a dinner in the future, I'll try most anything once.

Something that can be done differently with no change in costs to the organizers:

-Slow the pace of the event, meaning allow everyone to get in the door, buy tickets, get a drink, find a seat, check out the guns, and maybe say hi to a person or 2, etc... before starting the raffles. This shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

-Sell the raffle tickets away from the gun tables so you don't have so many people in one area, and it will allow more people to be able to look at the guns.

-collect the raffle tickets away from the gun tables and possibly even have someone go around to the tables to sell the tickets.

-A presentation, speech, or some type of entertaining break, between some of the games(the doors opened at 6pm and the atmosphere/excitement was dead IMO by 7pm) If you can offer a little more entertainment value at least time wise.

-A good MC can make or break an event like this.

Some things that could be done at a slight increase in overhead:

-Better food

-Let everyone who attends/buys tickets walk away with something, like a bullet pen, FNRA multi-tool, sticker, etc... The raffles that these were offered in were not held until a lot of people had left.

-More/better door prizes.

Good luck with your event 762cavalier.

Gary13
10-26-2009, 3:32 PM
Well put Lancear15.

WeekendWarrior
10-26-2009, 3:45 PM
WWRTW

762cavalier
10-26-2009, 5:16 PM
I'll likely attend a dinner in the future, I'll try most anything once.

Something that can be done differently with no change in costs to the organizers:

-Slow the pace of the event, meaning allow everyone to get in the door, buy tickets, get a drink, find a seat, check out the guns, and maybe say hi to a person or 2, etc... before starting the raffles. This shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

-Sell the raffle tickets away from the gun tables so you don't have so many people in one area, and it will allow more people to be able to look at the guns.

-collect the raffle tickets away from the gun tables and possibly even have someone go around to the tables to sell the tickets.

-A presentation, speech, or some type of entertaining break, between some of the games(the doors opened at 6pm and the atmosphere/excitement was dead IMO by 7pm) If you can offer a little more entertainment value at least time wise.

-A good MC can make or break an event like this.

Some things that could be done at a slight increase in overhead:

-Better food

-Let everyone who attends/buys tickets walk away with something, like a bullet pen, FNRA multi-tool, sticker, etc... The raffles that these were offered in were not held until a lot of people had left.

-More/better door prizes.

Good luck with your event 762cavalier.

What you just described is a regular dinner. ;)
This event is a down and dirty get the raffles in and out kind of event with as little overhead as possible.

Gary13
10-26-2009, 5:23 PM
I believe you could still slow it down a little. There was a line out the door when I got there, and even though I had prepaid it took a bit to get in. The line for people who did not prepay was quicker. By the time I got my money, the first one was over. I agree that the first drawing should be at 630 pm or so, to give people time to look at the guns and grab a drink. The first few were bam, bam, bam, then they slowed down to almost a crawl.

I also think that the tickets for the raffle should be placed on the side. Everyone was milling about the guns, trying to get a look at them, and at the same time trying to buy tickets.

Earthwalker
10-30-2009, 7:43 AM
Greetings,

My name is Steve wilson, am the NRA Field Rep for that area.

Yes the Gun-O-Rama is a special event and not a standard dinner.
The Modesto committee has been doing a yearly dinner for 16 years and they always have a great event with Live and Silent auctions, games, and raffles.

I have read all the posts about the event and can say THANK YOU.
We learned much from the Modesto event and many things will change about the event.

The food was not that good and we are sorry about that. A complaint was made to the caterer. As for the cost of the food at $20 please remember that the hall is not free and we needed to cover the costs. The S.O.S. charged us $20 a head and that was to cover the food and the hall rental we made nothing on the entrance other than the $5 extra when people bought at the door. For the people that came, PLEASE call the S.O.S. club and let them know about the food. We told them but they need to hear it from the public.

As for the cost of the raffles. Years ago we used to run $10 games and it would pay for the gun and raise some money. Now days, with the cost of guns, we can't do that. Here is the math. $20 tickets at 50 chances cover the gun and bring in a profit. $10 at 50 chances wont. So we would have to do 100 chances at $10 each to obtain the same amount. Your odds are much better at only 50 chances. Please remember that this is a fundraiser.

Lancear15 makes the best points. As a new event it will change and at the Elk Grove event things will be better. The food for one I know will be better, I have had his tri-tip sandwich and it is great.

The selection of guns. There were over 100 guns at the event and for those that did not see a gun that they like we haved $500 gift certificates good at the dealer. There will be Gift certificates at the Elk Grove dinner as well.

As I had said we have learned a lot and things will change.

If you see ways of changing the event and would like to help, Please join a committee. Every Friends of NRA committee would welcome the help.

Thanks again for the comments and they will all be passed along to the committees.

Steve Wilson
NRA Field Rep
Northeast California / Northwest Nevada

bwiese
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
(Welcome to Calguns, Steve!)

This dinner must've been an "outlier".

I've been to several Bay Area FNRA dinners - including being a table sponsor several times - and all I have is fun. The food is good (who can go wrong with sliced tri tip) and the company is great.

Yes, some of the guns I'm not interested in winning. What the hell. (Today I'm picking up a Ruger 22 auto that I won. And next 2 months, I'm bound up on DROSes since I won a pair of Ruger single-actions @ auction.)

IT'S A FUNDRAISER FOR THE FNRA. 50% of the funds raised stay in CA for all the background work that makes shooting here still possible - range development, cleanup etc.

As a fundraiser, it has to make money.

I do hope to see some Evil Black Rifles get in the mix, that might help skew the crowd a tad younger.

Earthwalker
10-30-2009, 6:43 PM
Hi Bill

The idea behind the Gun-O-Rama is that it is a "Special Event" and not a full dinner. We are trying to get 300 people to attend with an average of $200 each, then we can run 60 games and give away 60 guns in one evening.

There is no auctions at this event. Only raffle/games. Almost every raffle we sell has 50 tickets and on a few raffles we do 100 tickets but the guns are higher priced. then we pull a winner. Some people play more than one at a time making their odds much better.

As for black guns, I do believe that there will be some at this event. The Elk Grove committee held a full dinner a few months ago and they had a black gun as one of the top prizes.
Many of the people on here know me and they know that I will put a black gun out anytime I can.

I will be changing the event to do better in Elk Grove and we would love to see close to 300 people there.

Come if you can.

Steve Wilson
NRA Field Rep.

762cavalier
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Steve Glad to see you chimed in on this thread. I meant to give you a heads up on it but it slipped my mind. I will be seeing you probably before the Elk Grove event and for sure at the event.

Todd