PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 Mag Lock

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2009, 6:56 PM
After spending all day Saturday doing an inventory on my recently deceased brother-in-law's gun collection and preparing the interfamilial transfer from hell, I wanted to confirm a few issues:

There are currently no available mag locks for the Ruger mini 14.
A mini 14 with no stock, although technically functional, is legal.
There is no obligation on the part of an executor to account for suspected missing firearms (DROSed to deceased, but not accounted for).
Minimum age to transfer to descendant is 18 years old (both long arms and handguns.
Is there a time limit to submit the paperwork for an interfamilial transfer, and if so, when does the clock start (death, discovery)?

Most of his collection was pretty standard stuff; a lot of bolt action and probably every Marlin lever action ever made. The handguns, while a little unusual, are also pretty straightforward (a lot of 45 acp, Thompson contender w/every barrel ever made, lots of Ruger revolvers, and some old odd caliber semiautos).

Digital_Boy
10-25-2009, 7:32 PM
unless the barreled action is mounted in something like a Tapco or other stock that has a pistol grip and/or other "assault weapon" features, like a folding stock, forward pistol grip, etcetera, it is considered a long arm, not an "assault weapon" with it's standard magazine release, and thus requires no magazine lock. This is why M1As are legal to use hi-cap magazines owned before 1-1-00 with, and are still legal to purchase in CA. The Mini-14 is a scaled down copy of the Garand/M1A design.

As for an unstocked barreled action, it will require DROS for transferring, just like a stripped AR receiver. It would not be legal if it were installed into anything that would give it AW features.

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2009, 7:43 PM
unless the barreled action is mounted in something like a Tapco or other stock that has a pistol grip and/or other "assault weapon" features, like a folding stock, forward pistol grip, etcetera, it is considered a long arm, not an "assault weapon" with it's standard magazine release, and thus requires no magazine lock. This is why M1As are legal to use hi-cap magazines owned before 1-1-00 with, and are still legal to purchase in CA. The Mini-14 is a scaled down copy of the Garand/M1A design.

As for an unstocked barreled action, it will require DROS for transferring, just like a stripped AR receiver. It would not be legal if it were installed into anything that would give it AW features.

My concern with "unstocked barreled action" is the length. It can still function as a firearm, but is, well, quite short. I removed the firing pin, which I believe is adequate, but would like to confirm. All firearms will be transferred via interfamilial transfer.

MP301
10-25-2009, 7:55 PM
My concern with "unstocked barreled action" is the length. It can still function as a firearm, but is, well, quite short. I removed the firing pin, which I believe is adequate, but would like to confirm. All firearms will be transferred via interfamilial transfer.

Over kill. Unless its a modified Mini 14 with a pistol grips stock or other AW features, its not necessary. A stock mini 14 is not an AW and requires nothing. I have one myself.

7.62 FMJ
10-25-2009, 7:58 PM
I would just drop the trigger group out to be safe.

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2009, 8:01 PM
Over kill. Unless its a modified Mini 14 with a pistol grips stock or other AW features, its not necessary. A stock mini 14 is not an AW and requires nothing. I have one myself.

It was not your father's mini 14. I also own one and have no problem with it's configuration.

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2009, 8:02 PM
I would just drop the trigger group out to be safe.

Done. Thanks.

bwiese
10-25-2009, 8:44 PM
Trigger group is irrelevant: it does not change AW status. Put it back in.

A barreled action is just that: a barreled action. If there is something that looks like a flash hider on it it prob shouldn't be there and is easily removed.

If you care, a $40 Butler Creek stock makes it look like the Mini14s sold today at Big5.

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2009, 9:18 PM
Trigger group is irrelevant: it does not change AW status. Put it back in.

A barreled action is just that: a barreled action. If there is something that looks like a flash hider on it it prob shouldn't be there and is easily removed.

If you care, a $40 Butler Creek stock makes it look like the Mini14s sold today at Big5.

Thanks. I had multiple issues with the configuration as found. Ironically, I was storing a lot of BIL's stuff and have the original mini 14 wood stock in my attic.

Meplat
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Put the wood on and proceed apace, unless of course as BWISE says, it has something funny on the business end.

Thanks. I had multiple issues with the configuration as found. Ironically, I was storing a lot of BIL's stuff and have the original mini 14 wood stock in my attic.