PDA

View Full Version : Legal lending a handgun?

bruceflinch
10-25-2009, 5:11 PM
Can my Brother & I lend each other a handgun? (revolvers) We do not live in the same County.

ke6guj
10-25-2009, 5:15 PM
yes, provide you both have current HSCs.

12078(d)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent loan of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration and, when the firearm is a handgun, commencing January 1, 2003, the individual being loaned the handgun has a valid handgun safety certificate.

bruceflinch
10-25-2009, 7:12 PM

Thank You, Sir.

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2009, 8:10 PM
Note the 30 day limit.

Meplat
10-26-2009, 6:21 PM
I have never done the HSC (what a joke) dance except when actually purchasing. If you just go in and tell the FFL you want to take the HSC test how much of the paperwork, residency, etc. drama do you have to put up with? Anyone know? Any FFLs?

GrizzlyGuy
10-26-2009, 6:34 PM
It's super-easy. You take the test, write a check for the fee, and if you pass... he hands you the HSC right there on the spot. I think I had to show him my driver's license, that was it.

dantodd
10-26-2009, 6:34 PM
I have never done the HSC (what a joke) dance except when actually purchasing. If you just go in and tell the FFL you want to take the HSC test how much of the paperwork, residency, etc. drama do you have to put up with? Anyone know? Any FFLs?

It's just a test, no residency requirements etc. The problem is some FFLs only like doing them for purchases. There were a couple folks a few months back complaining about FFLs refusing to administer HSC tests because they were low on forms and didn't want to use them up for non-purchases. Hopefully the supply has loosened up some now.

Super Chicken
01-07-2010, 3:45 PM
What about if you go hiking with your Dad/Brother and you lend him a handgun incase that rabid meth cooking black bear wants to steal your cell phone. Do they need the HSC?

Cokebottle
01-07-2010, 3:51 PM
What about if you go hiking with your Dad/Brother and you lend him a handgun incase that rabid meth cooking black bear wants to steal your cell phone. Do they need the HSC?
HSC is not required if the receiving person is constantly in the immediate presence of the owner.

Just trading guns at the range would not be considered "lending" as long as you are both there.

bruceflinch
01-07-2010, 6:41 PM

Gee, you couldn't start a new thread?

Thread-dredging Noobs...:D

BTW, My Brother & I did a PPT @ Thanksgiving, just to save any hassle down the road. $35 from the nice folk's at The Gun Room.

cbn620
01-07-2010, 8:00 PM
I'm afraid to start new threads on this site... The infamous Calguns dupe police make the Gestapo look like Andy Taylor and Barney Fife.

Ross
01-07-2010, 8:04 PM
Can my Brother & I lend each other a handgun? (revolvers) We do not live in the same County.

I think people are not reading this correctly.

Do mean "lend" as in your brother wants to take your gun and shoot it this weekend, or for the next six months while you are deployed?

Super Chicken
01-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Gee, you couldn't start a new thread?

Thread-dredging Noobs...:D

BTW, My Brother & I did a PPT @ Thanksgiving, just to save any hassle down the road. $35 from the nice folk's at The Gun Room.

Naawww I'm doing my part by recycling/reusing as per Obama. :)

johnthomas
01-08-2010, 1:15 AM
HSC cards aren't made available to ffl's, they are bought by them. If an ffl hasn't bought any, there wont be any.