PDA

View Full Version : California handgun

JOE MACK
05-15-2005, 5:40 PM
According to California law, I can't ship a non-listed handgun to a private party through a dealer, right? It would have to be PPT with both parties at the dealer. Am I right? I'm just checking around until I hear from DOJ. I was going to ship and then found out my buyer is in the state and quite a ways from me. Thanks for any 411.

JOE MACK
05-15-2005, 5:40 PM
According to California law, I can't ship a non-listed handgun to a private party through a dealer, right? It would have to be PPT with both parties at the dealer. Am I right? I'm just checking around until I hear from DOJ. I was going to ship and then found out my buyer is in the state and quite a ways from me. Thanks for any 411.

RRangel
05-15-2005, 5:58 PM
It can be either person to person with an FFL or a consignment from a FFL. Either way that is the only way to get around the so called "safe handgun" list.

bwiese
05-15-2005, 7:53 PM
The only exceptions to Admin's response above for 'non-list' guns are single-action revolvers (5+ rounds, 3+" barrel)

Bill Wiese
San Jose

PKAY
05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
I went through this drill a few months ago when I found a Model 57 on consignment at a dealer in state (CA) but hundreds of miles from me, also in state (CA). The dealer and I worked out agreement on price and he said I had to come to his shop, do the paperwork, go home, and then come back 10 days later to pick up the gun.

I wondered aloud with him if he might be able to do his end of the paperwork there in his shop upon receipt of my funds and then ship the gun to a local 01 FFL I deal with to complete the buyer paperwork, 4473, and DROS. He said he didn't think that could be done. So, I said I would call DOJ and ask. Heck, there was nothing to lose in doing that. I called my DOJ contact, Dave Witt (916) 263-8180, and asked if this could be done. He checked within the department and came back with a big AFFIRMATIVE! It was OK just so long as all of the paperwork was completed and submitted prior to my taking possession of the firearm (10 day wait, of course).

I called the dealer back and told him the info I had just received and gave him Witt's phone number to confirm.

Here's what happended, the dealer ACCUSED ME OF TRYING TO PULL A "FAST ONE"! He said I wanted to entrap him in a criminal act and REFUSED to duscuss the matter with me again...and hung up on me.

Sheesh! Go figure. It can probably be LEGALLY done, but I'll wager most 01 FFLs are like that guy and won't do it out of fear.

jnojr
05-16-2005, 11:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PKAY:
Here's what happended, the dealer ACCUSED ME OF TRYING TO PULL A "FAST ONE"! He said I wanted to entrap him in a criminal act and REFUSED to duscuss the matter with me again...and hung up on me.

Sheesh! Go figure. It can probably be LEGALLY done, but I'll wager most 01 FFLs are like that guy and won't do it out of fear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup... that's where we are with California law. The poor guy is probably terrified of losing his business and freedom, and is thinking you're an agent of the State sent to snare him. I can't blame him one bit.

And it's only going to get worse unless we see a real, big change in Sacramento.

PKAY
05-16-2005, 1:03 PM
jnojr - You're right, of course. And which CA 01 FFL wants to step up and be the first one to perform a sale this way? Were I the 01 FFL in question, I would seek a written DOJ ruling with traceability before venturing forth to complete the intra-state long distance consignment sale as described here.

As far as the "real, big change in Sacramento" goes, until redistricting is taken out of the hands of the Democrat Party, you won't see change anytime soon. I hope Arney doesn't cave.