View Full Version : under 21 years old posession of handgun

07-06-2005, 4:43 PM
I know in other states it is illegal for someone under 21 to purchase a firearm, but not illegal to posess one as a gift, is this the case in california also?

07-06-2005, 5:34 PM
From what I remember its OK for a parent to give a handgun to a child who is over 18 (16 for rifles) but he or she can't have it in their name until they turn 21 (18 for rifles). When I got married at 18 my father inlaw wanted me to have a handgun. All I had was a .22 rifle and is his words "A 22 can't protect my daughter". He bought it and when I turned 21 we switched it to my name. The law may have changed since the 90,s though.

07-08-2005, 7:01 PM
Only your parents or grandparents can buy a handgun for you if your over 18 but under 21. You can then register it under the 18 by using a form on the DOJ website and the 18 must have a HSC card.

I forgot which form is used to register it under the 18 year old. You might want to email or call the DOJ to make sure.

50 Freak
07-08-2005, 8:10 PM
I remember back in the late 80's I was given a handgun when I was under 21. We called the LE's and asked the procedure. He said that as long as it was a private party and a "gift" it was legal and no registration was required.

Anyone know if that was correct?

I've sold the gun while back anyways. Just curious.