PDA

View Full Version : AR pistol DROS

Da_shotcaller
10-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Can you actually own a pistol upper while your pistol lower is still being DROS? Let just say if I order a pistol upper and it arrive before my DROS is completed can I keep it with me even though I'm in possession of a rifle?

Or am I braking any law with this situation? Will this be considered constructive possession?

jamesob
10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
your pistol should be ASSEMBLED into a single shot before dros. i believe.

pwall
10-25-2009, 12:01 PM
your pistol should be ASSEMBLED into a single shot before dros. i believe.

Unless he did a ppt for just the lower. DON'T take that upper until you have a designated pistol lower for it(if you already own an ar type rifle).

Mike's Custom
10-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Handguns have to be registered in a caliber and be complete at time of DROS. Also, the Safe Handling Demonstration Affadavit demonstration has to be done before the firearm can be picked up,

Da_shotcaller
10-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Ok thanks so as long as it's still on the 10 day waiting period then I can't have a pistol upper.

ke6guj
10-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok thanks so as long as it's still on the 10 day waiting period then I can't have a pistol upper.that would be running close to the line of constructive possession. On what side of the line is a judgement call. I wouldn't suggest it. What happens if you DROS got delayed/denied? Then, that "lawful use" of the pistol upper isn't there to protect you.

bwiese
10-25-2009, 3:23 PM
Can you actually own a pistol upper while your pistol lower is still being DROS? Let just say if I order a pistol upper and it arrive before my DROS is completed can I keep it with me even though I'm in possession of a rifle?

Or am I braking any law with this situation? Will this be considered constructive possession?

Murky.

You should not own a pistol/shorty upper unless and until you own a matching pistol or pistol lower if you already own an AR rifle or rifle lower.

Technically you own the pistol/pistol lower when you paid for it, even before you pick it up - but I'd say stay on the clean bright side of the line and not get the shorty upper unless/until you have the AR pistol in your hand.

[ If you do not own *ANY* AR rifle or rifle lower, the above is moot because then the upper is an uncontrolled part with no relation to any lower [since you don't own any corresponding rifle stuff]. ]

Da_shotcaller
10-25-2009, 5:46 PM
thanks guys for all the advice.