PDA

View Full Version : ccw around the house

okimreloaded
10-25-2009, 11:08 AM
any thoughts on carrying a taurus 85 vs a glock 26?

Lucky Scott
10-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I carry the Taurus 85 most of the time and like it with a front pocket wallet holster. The holster breaks up the outline just fine, and for me its the easiest carry. Like you said, everybody carries cell phones and stuff so a pocket bulge is no big deal. Its easy to put in and take out and easy to put your hand on the gun without causing notice.

I also have a .40 S&W semi auto in a holster that I carry behind my back sometimes but for me its a hassle and more noticeable than the little .38 snub.
(sometimes I feel better with the bigger caliber and having a magazine with more rounds)

Hammerless is a little better, but the trade off for me is accuracy. The Taurus 85 is deadly accurate, works every time, and is easy to conceal. I also put two speed strips with extra ammo in another pocket.

audihenry
10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Why would you want to CCW around the house?

Seesm
10-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I carry at my home everyday...

audihenry
10-25-2009, 1:07 PM
That doesn't exactly answer the question, does it...

IrishPirate
10-25-2009, 1:10 PM
Why would you want to CCW around the house?

why wouldn't you?? not everyone lives in pleasantville.

I prefer the taurus for feel, ease of use, size and weight, and the fact that .38spl is a better bad-guy-stopper than anything the Glock 26 is chambered in; but i do prefer the capacity of the glock. more rounds to achieve that desired incapacitated effect. I've had a hard time finding a glock that fits good in my hand though so i'm a little bias

THT
10-25-2009, 1:38 PM
I open carry at home...

My-AK47
10-25-2009, 2:00 PM
I carry at home also. Glock model 22. Very nice and very accessible if needed:D

bballwizard05
10-25-2009, 2:03 PM
haha man idk about open carrying at home, unless I live in a FREAKING GHETTO! where I possibly get robbed three times a week (p.s. if this is your situation...MOVE) I keep my AK ready and accesible, plus my roomies might get jumpy if I was open carrying!!!

caoboy
10-25-2009, 5:16 PM
Yeah...what is your reasoning behind OC/CC around the house? The house is the one place you should feel safe...

Crazed_SS
10-25-2009, 5:32 PM
I think carrying in the house is pretty ridiculous, but if you're gonna do it, why conceal? I'd imagine open carry would be much more comfortable and it'd be easier to carry a full-size pistol too.

Somekindagenius
10-25-2009, 8:08 PM
I don't understand you guys that say you don't need to carry unless you live in the ghetto. If you were a criminal planning a home invasion on someone would you really choose the poor people. Houses in nice areas never get broken into? Are you all living in a fantasy world? If drivers in your area are the safest in the country are you willing to not wear a seatbelt? Just because there is a lower chance of things happening doesn't mean it will never happen. I hope most of us try to prepare for the 1% of times when bad things happen.

Greg-Dawg
10-25-2009, 8:12 PM
I carry a Glock Fo-tay.

bballwizard05
10-25-2009, 8:15 PM
We had 3 car brake ins on my block last year in a 2 month period. Living in the IE, I am fully aware of the dangers that lurk and I dont live in the ghetto. However I feel that an AK with loaded 10 round mag sitting next to it is prepared enough, not to carry a loaded pistol around while i'm making dinner or watching TV. This thread is about loaded open carry in house, my .02 is that it seems a little much, but hey I bring my AK out to enjoy some tv with me occasionaly, so to each his own!! or her own!! :)

Barney Gumble
10-25-2009, 8:41 PM
Yeah...what is your reasoning behind OC/CC around the house? The house is the one place you should feel safe...

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Just because you feel safe doesn't mean you ARE safe.

Example below...note that the police felt the vicitims were picked at random.

http://cbs5.com/local/berkeley.home.invasion.2.972713.html

Mar 31, 2009 4:24 pm US/Pacific
Final Berkeley Home Invasion Suspects Surrender
CBS 5 CrimeWatch
BERKELEY (BCN) ― The last three suspects in a home-invasion robbery and torture case in the Berkeley hills last month have turned themselves in, Berkeley police spokesman Andrew Frankel said Tuesday.

There were a total of eight suspects in the incident in the 600 block of Santa Barbara Road in the hour-long incident that began at 8:20 p.m. on Feb. 24. Five suspects had been arrested previously.

Frankel said brothers Vern Town Saelee, 21, and Vern Sio Saelee, 18, of Fairfield, as well as 24-year-old Chiew Chian Saeturn of Fairfield surrendered to Berkeley police detectives in Fairfield at 9 p.m. Monday.

Frankel said detectives had served a search warrant at a residence in the 5600 block of Alameda Street in El Cerrito earlier on Monday and although the suspects weren't found at that time police believe the constant pressure they placed on the suspects proved to be too much.

"They were tired of running," Frankel said.

A male and a female were bound, pistol-whipped and carved on with kitchen knives in the brutal home invasion robbery.

The victims were taken to a local hospital where they were treated and released, Frankel said.

Three suspects, Buk Khansuwong, a 46-year-old Richmond man, Tien Vo, a 29-year-old San Pablo woman, and a 16-year-old boy from Richmond, were arrested in early March.

A fourth suspect, 18-year-old Anthony Ray Douglas of Richmond, surrendered at the Richmond Police Department on March 18 and a fifth suspect, another 16-year-old Richmond boy, was arrested last week.

Frankel said police believe the suspects chose the victims at random.

He said the suspects have been charged with torture, which carries a life in prison term upon conviction, as well as home invasion, which carries up to six years in state prison.

The Saelee brothers and Saeturn are expected to be arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court on Thursday, according to Frankel. The first five suspects have already made their initial court appearances.

joepamjohn
10-25-2009, 9:06 PM

Hmmm. You never know who may want to take that EGGO waffle. :confused:

Hey, you can even wear that Glock in the shower LOL. Be careful with the soap! Hate to start your day "half cocked" :eek:

slik556
10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
haha man idk about open carrying at home, unless I live in a FREAKING GHETTO! where I possibly get robbed three times a week (p.s. if this is your situation...MOVE) I keep my AK ready and accesible, plus my roomies might get jumpy if I was open carrying!!!
To this^
and to this ^
I don't understand you guys that say you don't need to carry unless you live in the ghetto. If you were a criminal planning a home invasion on someone would you really choose the poor people. Houses in nice areas never get broken into? Are you all living in a fantasy world? If drivers in your area are the safest in the country are you willing to not wear a seatbelt? Just because there is a lower chance of things happening doesn't mean it will never happen. I hope most of us try to prepare for the 1% of times when bad things happen.

This ^ exactly. Perfectly said

dfens
10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
I do it sometimes for certain reasons. If someone knocks on my door and if I decide to open it and see what they want without using the window it allows me to be packing without people flipping out asap he's got a gun he's nuts.

And if the shtf I can draw down on them when they aren't looking or before they can react.

Or something I thought of doing but my place is too small. I was at a event gathering at someone else's house and if she was packing I wouldn't mind. It got me thinking having a bunch of strangers I don't know in my home why the hell not sounds like a good idea just to be on the safe side.

I'm not the person that likes to brandish a weapon so keeping it concealed or out of sight is the best option for me.

Terminal Velocity
10-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I keep my Glock 30 close by

bplvr
10-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Fixed it for 'ya. Ever heard of 'home invasion'? It is all the rage in Modesto Ca. Kill the husband and then gang rape the wife, and then kill her.
Sleep well. ............................stay armed.

MAD SVT
10-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Security door.... dont answer the door unarmed.

I do fear home invasion... but i have something in every room. (Literally) so i dont feel i have to carry.

they better hope im not in the bedroom when they get in =) thats where i plan on making my stand against the zombies -)

MAD SVT
10-26-2009, 12:07 AM
oh and i only have 1 window accessable to anyone other than spiderman

and i have 2 other calgunners in my complex within shouting distance...

I PITY THE FOOO

jtippins
10-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Hmmmm... your home is not the safest place around these days. In the last 14 years I have returned fire twice, pulled four times and had two break-ins. We now live in a nice place but the potential is there. Within the last three months I have had two very sketchy visitors to my home, one of which was a delivery driver squatting by the front window who was noticed by one of my four young children. "Daddy, there's a man peeking in the window..."

So, let's open the door and find out who, gun in hand, was holstered prior. I announced myself, ask if I could help him but all he saw was the handgun. I informed him it would be a wiser position not to kneel down outside windows to unpack his delivery, but to ring the bell first.

When the color came back to his face, he was much appreciative of the advice.

Don't take chances, if you are a person who owns for protection, keep it handy. My children know the protocol if someone is snooping around. They know the direction, the shout command and the place to go if something starts.

Just the other day there was a gentleman in my front yard on his cell phone standing 200 feet from the street right by my fence behind the bushes. After investigating it was the gardner, I advised him not to stand in the bushes to talk, it was not a good location. He said the sun was hot, so he moved to the bushes... oh well, hot or shot buddy... :)

okimreloaded
10-26-2009, 9:38 AM
I want to carry around the house because I can. I may not while I'm watching tv with my wife or whatever but if I'm going to be out in my front yard, or hell even the back yard I want to have a gun on me.

In the year I've lived her, I've had a neighbor threaten to kill a repo guy who was trying to take his car, 50 cop cars surround a school down the street for what I was told was a "domestic dispute", I've had a police helicopter directly over my house on at least 3 occasions, some of the time telling us to lock our doors and windows because there's an armed person on foot in the neighborhood. and a FULL BLOWN domestic dispute that involved a screaming teenage boy, a girl with a baby, shirts off, what appeared to be a knife and 4 cops with tasers. (I called the cops). So I mean, I've never had my car broken into, we have only had one burglary -the guy moved out and some random dudes broke in during broad daylight and stole hella stuff, they even waived to my wife and I while we were here. We thought they worked for the property manager or something. But just because we haven't had anything super bad happen doesn't mean it won't.

I've tried to think of a way I could stash a gun outside so that If I came home to someone in the house, I could retrieve it without going to my bedroom. I'm having a brick fence - well a wall built up soon. I was thinking about putting a lockable cubby built into the fence that could hold a shotgun and a pistol.

okimreloaded
10-26-2009, 9:40 AM
Oh yeah I'd open carry, but I don't want to frighten the neighbors while I'm out mowing the lawn. Although maybe it'd be a good idea just so they know i'm armed. heh - but you would look like a maniac mowing your lawn with a gun on your hip. Maybe that's a good thing in my neighborhood though.

xrMike
10-26-2009, 1:15 PM
There is no such thing as "CCW" in your house. Visible, not visible, what does it matter? "Concealed" is a concept that only has meaning in public places.

SgtDinosaur
10-26-2009, 1:54 PM
I have lived in Vallejo for 3 1/2 years. No one has tried to break into my house (that I know of, anyway). I used to keep firearms scattered around the house, but my 22 month old daughter has started getting into anything that is not locked. Now most of them are locked up, but loaded. A couple are in places I can get to that she can't. If I feel hinky for any reason, I strap one on. On Saturday I had my S&W 686 CS-1 in a Don Hume speed scabbard. Would you believe it virtually disappeared under a T shirt? I almost always have a P3-AT in my pocket, too.

A long time ago a psychologist told me I did not get the sense that the world is a warm and fuzzy place when I was a child. I suppose this is true, since my perception has always been that the world is a dangerous place. Maybe that's why I occasionally have violent dreams involving gunfire and smashing faces. And have had them for many years. However, I have never pulled a gun on anyone. Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

cj cake
10-26-2009, 4:40 PM
Security door.... dont answer the door unarmed.

I do fear home invasion... but i have something in every room. (Literally) so i dont feel i have to carry.

they better hope im not in the bedroom when they get in =) thats where i plan on making my stand against the zombies -)

After you just armed them since they will most likely move through at least 1 or 2 rooms to get to you in the bedroom.

I don't leave any guns laying around because I don't know where I'll be if someone does choose to break in. I don't want my guns to be used against me and MY FAMILY. I carry when I'm at home. I at least have one within arms reach most of the time. I am getting better at this. A home invasion is a very violent event that often happens in a matter of seconds. That is too long if you are taken by surprise and have to "go get" your gun. I hope it never happens to me, but I WON'T be a victim in my own home if I can help it.

onikage
10-26-2009, 5:32 PM
Watch a movie called "Funny Games" for a reminder why to CCW around the house. It's not too bad of a movie, except for a certain part near the end which kind of kills it.

On second thought, maybe just watch the trailer to save yourself the time :D

Ec-70W_K77U

okimreloaded
10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
A long time ago a psychologist told me I did not get the sense that the world is a warm and fuzzy place when I was a child. I suppose this is true, since my perception has always been that the world is a dangerous place. Maybe that's why I occasionally have violent dreams involving gunfire and smashing faces. And have had them for many years. However, I have never pulled a gun on anyone. Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

When I was 4 years old my uncle was murdered by his roommate with a hammer. I have never felt like the world was a safe place either. My earliest memories are my grieving mother and funeral services for him. It's practically the first thing I remember. I can remember a lot of details about being there, the 21 gun salute, the pews in the church, the closed casket with his photo on it. Now that I am a gun-owner I just wonder what would have happened if he'd have had a gun on him. He may have still died, but I've heard details and he fought back. I think if he'd have had one on him, he would have survived and dispatched his attacker rather quickly. That guy probably wouldn't have attempted it in the first place if he knew my uncle was prone to carrying weaponry.

It goes against what the media and the antis would have you believe, which is that guns murder everyone. Guns are tools and it's not the object, but the hands that use them. Guns are used to kill people because it's readily available and efficient, it's a well designed tool, however if guns were not easy to obtain - then people would kill with machetes, bats, rocks, knives, ropes, poison, vehicles, or anything else that was attainable.

I had a guy who thinks the 2nd amendment is out of date and should be taken off the books tell me that he would never defend his home with a gun, but he would with a bat, once I told him I feel like my gun is just a really long bat, that reaches across the room, he seemed to understand my point of view a little bit better.

Most people don't even understand that even if you undid the 2nd amendment, it's not that piece of paper that gives you the right, it's just the US government acknowledging your right. That right, to protect yourself is inalienable, recognized or not and is as important as the right to free speech, as is the right to practice the religion of your choice.

JayDeeSacramento
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I imagine this being an interesting exchange

Officer- "So you're saying you shot the intruder"
Homeowner- "that's correct"
Officer- "Why are you wearing a holster?"

I could see some lawyers having a field day with that one.

I personally can't see carrying around a house. I'm married though and have a young child...doesn't work for me. Of course I wouldn't have done it when I was single though either. More power to people that do it. I think it's weird but who am I to judge what you do in the privacy of your own home.

Turbinator
10-26-2009, 11:17 PM

For the same reason why I wear seat belts.

I hope to the Tree Frog God that I don't get into an accident. The seat belt is there *in the unlikely case that I do*.

Accidents are never planned.

Same goes for the IWB holster at home. And the spare tire in the car. And the first aid kit in the car. And the fire extinguisher in the garage.

Turby

JayDeeSacramento
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
That's a good answer...I'd love to read a police report though about someone that was carrying openly or concealed in their home when someone broke in...just curious

tuna quesadilla
10-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Yeah...what is your reasoning behind advocating OC/CC around college campus? The campus is the one place you should feel safe...

Barney Gumble
10-27-2009, 9:28 AM

I could see some lawyers having a field day with that one.

I personally can't see carrying around a house. I'm married though and have a young child...doesn't work for me. Of course I wouldn't have done it when I was single though either. More power to people that do it. I think it's weird but who am I to judge what you do in the privacy of your own home.

You have to do whatever you're comfortable with. My logic was that a home invasion is about as unlikely as me getting into a car accident. I never EXPECT to get into a car accident and yet I do strap on my seat belt every time I get in the car.

Same goes for carrying. I work from home so I'm home alone all day. If someone broke into the house I might not hear them. I could be on a conference call, or listening to music, or whatever. By the time I'm aware someone is in the house I won't have time to get to the safe and get my pistol out. I have a wife and young kids too and to me this is even more reason to carry. The main difference between my two examples is that anyone can throw on a seatbelt, but carrying a firearm involves a lot more responsibility and training.

Btw I carry in Condition 1 (round chambered) for the same reason that I carry in the first place, which is to be prepared for the case where I don't have time to get prepared.

joepamjohn
10-27-2009, 6:21 PM
So let me get this straight. You are out mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutters, cooking dinner, watching the big game with your buddies, washing the car, all the while carrying your "rig" in case the pizza guy really isn't who he say's he is? When the door bell rings, you go into "commando" mode to see if it is really an attack or just a solicitor? :confused: Do you have your wife "cover" you so you can go out and get the morning paper?

I realize that the world can be a pretty cruel place, but at least to me this seems to be a little on the side of over kill (no pun). I would suggest moving to a decent neighborhood and getting some locks, deadbolts, and a quality alarm system to keep your home safe. Maybe get a dog that will bark (or bite) so you can get to the guns you have hidden in every room before the bad guys do. I know that bad things can happen in "nice" areas too, but you may be able to set your mind a little more at ease (probably not).

If you have to "return fire" two different times, pull out your gun four more times in your living room, had numerous break-ins, are frequently burdened by Police helicopters hovering over your house with search lights, or are regularly witnessing drug deals,rapes and murders all going down at the school up the street, you just may be living in the wrong part of town. You do have a choice of where you live.

I know I have totally different ideals than 99% of the rest of Cal Gunners (and will surely hear it) but is carrying your .40 cal to the crapper since you are affraid somone may catch you with "your pants down" really a necessary excercise? Heck of a way to live.

Barney Gumble
10-27-2009, 8:24 PM
So let me get this straight. You are out mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutters, cooking dinner, watching the big game with your buddies, washing the car, all the while carrying your "rig" in case the pizza guy really isn't who he say's he is? When the door bell rings, you go into "commando" mode to see if it is really an attack or just a solicitor? :confused: Do you have your wife "cover" you so you can go out and get the paper?

I realize that the world can be a pretty cruel place, but at least to me this seems to be a little on the side of over kill (no pun) to me. I would suggest moving to a decent neighborhood and getting some locks, deadbolts, and a quality alarm system to keep your home safe. Maybe get a dog that will bark so you can get to the guns you have hidden in every room.

If you have to "return fire" four different times from you living room, are frequently burdened by Police helicopters hovering over your house with search lights, or are regularly witnessing drug deals going down at the school down the street, you may be living in the wrong part of town. You do have a choice of where you live.

I know I have different ideals than 99% of the rest of Cal Gunners (and will surely hear it) but is carrying your .40 cal to the crapper since you are affraid somone may catch you with "your pants down" really a necessary excercise? Heck of a way to live.

You obviously already know a better way to live so why bother asking?

Brianguy
10-27-2009, 8:38 PM
I realize that the world can be a pretty cruel place, but at least to me this seems to be a little on the side of over kill (no pun). I would suggest moving to a decent neighborhood and getting some locks, deadbolts, and a quality alarm system to keep your home safe. Maybe get a dog that will bark (or bite) so you can get to the guns you have hidden in every room before the bad guys do. I know that bad things can happen in "nice" areas too, but you may be able to set your mind a little more at ease (probably not).

Not all of us can afford to live in a "decent" neighborhood:(

Spiggy
10-27-2009, 8:51 PM
Personally, I do believe if you are resorting to a carried weapon, you've already lost your first line of defense. Your home.

Nice neighborhood or not, you can and always should find means to secure your home so that you feel comfortable to go about your day.

Simple things like grated windows, a wood block to stop a sliding door, front door peep hole, automatic lights... These things cost very little compared to the possibility of lost of life and security. Once an intruder has overcome these obstacles, it is very clear that their intent is malice.

That being said, while my home is in my opinion, fairly well secured. I do still keep an emergency kit, fire extinguisher, security shotgun, carbine, and pistols in different strategic points within my home.

Barney Gumble
10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Personally, I do believe if you are resorting to a carried weapon, you've already lost your first line of defense. Your home.

Nice neighborhood or not, you can and always should find means to secure your home so that you feel comfortable to go about your day.

Simple things like grated windows, a wood block to stop a sliding door, front door peep hole, automatic lights... These things cost very little compared to the possibility of lost of life and security. Once an intruder has overcome these obstacles, it is very clear that their intent is malice.

That being said, while my home is in my opinion, fairly well secured. I do still keep an emergency kit, fire extinguisher, security shotgun, carbine, and pistols in different strategic points within my home.

There's some flawed logic that carrying in your home somehow indicates a failure of all your other security layers.

If I have deadbolts, wood blocks in the sliding doors and automatic lights, does adding an alarm system mean I've "lost" all my other layers or that I'm giving in to paranoia?

I wear a seatbelt in my car but I also have insurance on my car, health and life. Does that make me paranoid?

The thing I think is crazy is people who have a firearm "for home defense" but have never trained with it, and don't have it ready to use, as if they can somehow predict the exact conditions under which they'll need it. This is complete fantasy. It's like saying you only need to put on your seatbelt right before you get into an accident. :confused:

Mssr. Eleganté
10-27-2009, 11:34 PM

"Because I didn't want to leave this loaded gun unattended."

or better yet,

"Why are you wearing a holster, officer?" :p

zeus45c
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I normally carry concealed when I have something up for sale that can't be easily transported to another location such as a sofa. I have no clue who may be showing up to my place of residence based off an email or pleasant phone conversation.

RogueSniper
10-28-2009, 1:10 AM
Either Taurus or Glock - it doesn't matter as long as you can draw it swiftly, smoothly, and safely. Shot placement doesn't mean a damn unless you can get your gun out.

I live in a decent, safe neighborhood. I just spoke to the Chief of Police tonight and he mentioned that we just had our first homicide in the last 10 years. How's that for safe? Well, crime is crime. Whether it's trespass, burglary, or homicide - it doesn't really matter as long as you're prepared. I've got an alarm system, and the window and doors have sensors that chime if opened. If they want to get in, they will.

I used to lived in Sacramento a long time ago. Metal bars on the windows, security gate on the doors. They still got in AND I was in the shower (unarmed, of course). Luckily, they vacated the place when they heard me - I never saw them. Now days when I'm home, I have a loaded firearm in the garage (hidden), my gun is at my bedside, and I carry a Glock in an SOB holster. Why not? I know what it's like to be home and not have any thing close by to defend yourself. If I'm going somewhere, that Glock goes into the car with me in my Gunvault.

I've tried to think of a way I could stash a gun outside so that If I came home to someone in the house, I could retrieve it without going to my bedroom. I'm having a brick fence - well a wall built up soon. I was thinking about putting a lockable cubby built into the fence that could hold a shotgun and a pistol.

Take your gun with you. Put either a mini GunVault (http://www.gunvault.com/minisafe.nxg)in your trunk or Center of Mass In Car Safe (http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm)for under your seat.

zo76
11-08-2009, 6:54 PM
better safe than sorry...here is a reason to carry a gun around the house

Uw-0nfVC2Rk&feature=related

locosway
11-08-2009, 7:27 PM

At night I sit on the couch with the back door open. Now, I do have a 100lbs dog outside, but someone could easily hop the wall and be in the house before her or I knew wtf was going on. People running from the cops tend to look for an easy place to hide without thinking. I'd rather not have my home be that place to hide, but if it is, then I want to be prepared.

What good would a safe full of guns do if someone is in your house? Think you can get to it before you run into them? What about your kids? What if someone smashes their window and has a gun... Do you have time to get your gun out of the safe and respond to their room? What if their room is upstairs and your safe is downstairs in the garage?

What if your wife was followed home, and when she opens the door two guys push her through the doorway and they have guns. You aren't carrying your gun because you're "safe" in your home. So now what? Get into a fist fight with two guys that have guns?

There are numerous reasons to carry or have a gun within arms reach while you're at home. Now, I know you should feel safe in your home, and I do feel safe there. However, I also know that feeling safe is what gets someone in trouble. Hearing noises from the other end of the house could be the dog or the kids, but it could be an intruder. Never go unprepared, and that doesn't just apply for taking a weapon, it's a mental game too.

devilinblack
11-08-2009, 8:18 PM
I have to agree with the majority here. My neighborhood is so-so, I lack true security doors but have fairly heavy metal screen doors and have three large and watchful dogs, but what if? What if I'm out back working on my car or in the garage and someone tries to rush me because I've got some nice stuff and they can spot it from the road? What good is the shotty in the bedroom or a gun in the safe/closet going to do me then?

I have no small children at home, but having the weapon on you makes even more sense then as it's completely under your control and at no risk of being found by a child.