PDA

View Full Version : Candidates for CA Attorney General: Where Do They Stand re. 2nd A RKBA?

Paladin
10-25-2009, 7:07 AM
We've talked a lot about the contenders for CA governor, but I haven't seen a thread re. contenders for CA AG. We found out w/Jerry Brown that having someone for (or at least not against) our 2nd A RKBA can significantly reduce the number of headaches Calgunners have to deal with.

So, with that intro, let's have at it. Who are these people and where do they stand re. various 2nd A RKBA issues (Heller, Nordyke-McDonald, Sykes, Shall Issue, AWB-OLL, roster, hicap mags, .50 cal., etc).

From: http://www.electionvolunteer.com/race/Attorney%20General

Attorney General Race

Name____________________Party

Alberto Torrico--------------------Democratic
Chris Kelly------------------------Democratic
Chuck Poochigian (withdrew)----Republican
Joe Canciamilla-------------------Democratic
Kamala Harris--------------------Democratic
Rocky Delgadillo------------------Democratic
Ted Lieu---------------------------Democratic
Tom Harman----------------------Republican

javalos
10-25-2009, 7:20 AM
We've talked a lot about the contenders for CA governor, but I haven't seen a thread re. contenders for CA AG. We found out w/Jerry Brown that having someone for (or at least not against) our 2nd A RKBA can significantly reduce the number of headaches Calgunners have to deal with.

So, with that intro, let's have at it. Who are these people and where do they stand re. various 2nd A RKBA issues (Heller, Nordyke-McDonald, Sykes, Shall Issue, AWB-OLL, roster, hicap mags, .50 cal., etc).

From: http://www.electionvolunteer.com/race/Attorney%20General

Attorney General Race

Name____________________Party

Alberto Torrico--------------------Democratic
Chris Kelly------------------------Democratic
Chuck Poochigian (withdrew)----Republican
Joe Canciamilla-------------------Democratic
Kamala Harris--------------------Democratic
Rocky Delgadillo------------------Democratic
Ted Lieu---------------------------Democratic
Tom Harman----------------------Republican

I know Joe Canciamilla and he's pretty good on the gun issue when I was president of the NRA East Contra Costa Members Council, don't know anything on the only Republican running for AG.

chuckdc
10-25-2009, 9:15 AM
I would say that Harris is unlikely to be gun-friendly, as she is an absolute leftwing nutter.

wildhawker
10-25-2009, 9:26 AM
Cursory glance gives us the following:

Torrico - ammo bill.
Harris - ugh.
Delgadillo - bringing LA-style politics to Sacramento.

jamesob
10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
i see all dems. and only 1 rep., that pretty much sums it up,.

berto
10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Kamala Harris is not our friend. She's Gavin's sidekick and they're trying to take their SF policies statewide.

bwiese
10-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I believe Gene Hoffman knows Chris Kelley. Now that things are more in play, it's probably time that Gene can reach out.

Super Spy
10-25-2009, 5:33 PM
Kamala Harris is not our friend. She's Gavin's sidekick and they're trying to take their SF policies statewide.

+1 Agree Fully....

dfletcher
10-25-2009, 5:48 PM
I can't imagine anyone worse than Harris. She said words to the effect - just because you own a gun in your home doesn't mean we won't come in and check on you - and was absolutely perjorative as hell (along with Newsom) to all gun owners in a recent photo op in front of the Cow Palace pushing for the ban. She supports a handgun ban, the hi cap ban and AW ban. Basically, no guns for anyone would be fine by her.

If she gets in and has her way, I think we'll look at Grandma Lockyer as the good old days.

bwiese
10-25-2009, 5:54 PM
I can't imagine anyone worse than Harris. She said words to the effect - just because you own a gun in your home doesn't mean we won't come in and check on you - and was absolutely perjorative as hell (along with Newsom) to all gun owners in a recent photo op in front of the Cow Palace pushing for the ban. She supports a handgun ban, the hi cap ban and AW ban. Basically, no guns for anyone would be fine by her.

If she gets in and has her way, I think we'll look at Grandma Lockyer as the good old days.

The good news is that Kamala Harris would be an "accelerant". She likely would drive things such that a variety of items arose and climbed rapidly up the court pipeline.

We might even find a case where Alison might try to restrain her.

No kidding.

hoffmang
10-25-2009, 6:27 PM
The only one with a chance to not be wildly anti-gun is Chris Kelley and he's an old friend of mine. However, I haven't had a chance to speak with him yet on this issue.

-Gene

armandolo
10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Ted Lieu voted in support of AB962. This guy is Anti Gun and shows up on Tha List:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=230699

bigstick61
10-25-2009, 10:26 PM
From Tom Harman's Senate website:

People are ultimately responsible for their own actions. In accordance with this, I am a supporter of both the death penalty and the state’s three strikes laws. I believe these laws promote justice, individual responsibility and, most importantly, protect innocent people from dangerous criminals. As a caveat of personal responsibility, I also believe responsible, law abiding citizens should have the right to own and possess firearms, apply for concealed carry permits and enjoy the freedoms of our democracy.

Link: http://cssrc.us/web/35/publicsafety.aspx

That's all I could find so far, but it sounds promising.

bigstick61
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
He hasn't written, sponsored, or co-sponsored any anti-gun legislation (Harman) and on 585 he voted no; he was absent for the 962 vote.

bwiese
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
He hasn't written, sponsored, or co-sponsored any anti-gun legislation (Harman) and on 585 he voted no; he was absent for the 962 vote.

ABSENT for the AB962 vote?

Jeezus. We needed every last vote, and it was close.

bigstick61
10-25-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't know what the deal with that is; on most issues he seems pretty decent though.

bwiese
10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't know what the deal with that is; on most issues he seems pretty decent though.

The only issue that matters here is gun issues.

artherd
10-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Kelly is (was) Chief Privacy Officer at Facebook.

CAL.BAR
10-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I had dinner recently with Tom Harmon and I can confirm he is pro-2A and pro-hunting.

Other than that - can't say much about him (even after an entire evening with him)

grunz
10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Kamala Harris supports your gun-rights.

But only if you're, teenage, a felon, a gang member in addition to being an undocumented immigrant from central america. :)

secretasianman
10-26-2009, 1:13 PM
The good news is that Kamala Harris would be an "accelerant". She likely would drive things such that a variety of items arose and climbed rapidly up the court pipeline.

Great! She's got my vote then!

7x57
10-26-2009, 1:25 PM
I'm pretty sure Kamala Harris supports your gun-rights.

But only if you're, teenage, a felon, a gang member in addition to being an undocumented immigrant from central america. :)

Well, I can't do much about #1 or #4, and I don't think I'm gang material so #3 is out too (unless there is a gang somewhere that has a "chief philosopher for the 'hood" position open), but I suppose the option of becoming a felon is always open if that's the best way to preserve my rights. :eek:

Shall we start a thread on the "best" felony to commit so as to stay on the good side of California and optimally place one's self in some liberal protected class? :willy_nilly:

7x57

kf6tac
10-26-2009, 1:30 PM
Shall we start a thread on the "best" felony to commit so as to stay on the good side of California and optimally place one's self in some liberal protected class? :willy_nilly:

7x57

Harboring illegal immigrants, perhaps? I'm not sure if it's a felony, but I'm sure California would love you for it.

7x57
10-26-2009, 1:35 PM
Harboring illegal immigrants, perhaps? I'm not sure if it's a felony, but I'm sure California would love you for it.

I don't know if that will work. Will it lead to an easy argument that I did it because I'm a helpless victim of society who can't be responsible for anything I did?

7x57

shaggy
10-26-2009, 7:18 PM
People are ultimately responsible for their own actions. In accordance with this, I am a supporter of both the death penalty and the state’s three strikes laws. I believe these laws promote justice, individual responsibility and, most importantly, protect innocent people from dangerous criminals. As a caveat of personal responsibility, I also believe responsible, law abiding citizens should have the right to own and possess firearms, apply for concealed carry permits and enjoy the freedoms of our democracy.

I used to think he was a solid 2A supporter, however, If he truly believes this then why is he endorsing Sandra Hutchens for OC Sheriff? I am in his district and I have written him three times to ask about this and asked him to reconsider his endorsment. NO REPLY. I am also bothered by what I read on earlier posts that he was not present for the vote on AB 962. That's not very solid in my book. I'd love to know if someone has more clout with him and can call him out about these issues. Seems pretty important if you want the gun vote.

Timberline
10-26-2009, 7:43 PM
i see all dems. and only 1 rep., that pretty much sums it up,.

And yet, Jerry Brown is a Democrat... does that pretty much sum it up?

Geo
10-26-2009, 7:58 PM
Kamala Harris hates guns and white men.

dantodd
10-26-2009, 8:31 PM
As a caveat of personal responsibility, I also believe responsible, law abiding citizens should have the right to own and possess firearms, apply for concealed carry permits and enjoy the freedoms of our democracy.

They are free to apply now. What we need is for law abiding citizens to be "free to GET a CCW"

bigstick61
10-26-2009, 9:41 PM
Well, that's not something he would have much control over as attorney general. Of course, he may mean get but it came out as apply; I see people make those sorts of mistakes in their writing all of the time (not that it doesn't bother me or anything).

tube_ee
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Especially if you're "harboring" them on a farm, or a construction site, or a motel, or at Jack in the Box...

--Shannon

Glock22Fan
10-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, that's not something he would have much control over as attorney general. Of course, he may mean get but it came out as apply; I see people make those sorts of mistakes in their writing all of the time (not that it doesn't bother me or anything).

Actually, people like Sandra Hutchens rely on the (very old) A.G. statement to say that you need to be at exceptional risk in order to qualify as an approved ccw candidate. It is one area where I think JB could do us more favors than he has, but if a current-day A.G. came out and gave an opinion saying: "These days it is risky enough going out on the streets that Personal Protection should be sufficient to satisfy p.c.12050," then it would really cut the feet out from Sandra, Baca and all the others.

U2BassAce
10-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I would say that Harris is unlikely to be gun-friendly, as she is an absolute leftwing nutter.

That is funny, I was invited to a fundraiser for her at a business acquittance's house. I did not know her politics. But kind of put two and two together and figured she would not be pro 2nd. I already declined that one.

KylaGWolf
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM

No offense but the fact that he was absent on the vote would indicate he may not be nearly as 2A friendly as he appeared in that other statement. Has he sponsored any PRO 2A bills that can be found. If not good bet at this point he will not do us any good.

KylaGWolf
10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
That is funny, I was invited to a fundraiser for her at a business acquittance's house. I did not know her politics. But kind of put two and two together and figured she would not be pro 2nd. I already declined that one.

Well you could go and point blank ask her what her stance on such things as Heller and Nordyke would be. You could also ask her if she believes in upholding ALL the amendments and see response what you would get. Best case you get some of the others at that fund raiser questioning if they really want to support someone that would take away their rights.

7x57
10-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Well you could go and point blank ask her what her stance on such things as Heller and Nordyke would be. You could also ask her if she believes in upholding ALL the amendments and see response what you would get. Best case you get some of the others at that fund raiser questioning if they really want to support someone that would take away their rights.

Sure you want to do that? In the new Worker's Paradise, inconvenient questions can get the cops called on you (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/017/118bdwle.asp).

Happiness is mandatory. Are you happy, citizen?

7x57

dantodd
10-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Sure you want to do that? In the new Worker's Paradise, inconvenient questions can get the cops called on you (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/017/118bdwle.asp).

Happiness is mandatory. Are you happy, citizen?

7x57

After looking at his website initially I wasn't really excited about D. Hoffman but his competition is sure doing an excellent job of making him the best person for the job.