PDA

View Full Version : Any way to transfer if owner out of the country?

ugimports
10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
I have a customer in the following situation:

1) Owner of handgun they want to purchase has retired and left the country
2) Owner of handgun had left the firearm with sister and brother-in-law

Is there any way for my customer to get the firearm legally transferred with the registered owner out of the country? Is his only choice to wait for them to come back at some point to do a PPT.. and even in that scenario the owner no longer has their CA Drivers License anymore..

What options does my customer have? I've tentatively told him that he'd have to wait for the person to come back (it's a family friend), but then realized I'm not sure I could PPT it for him if the original owner no longer has their CA credentials.

halifax
10-25-2009, 5:02 AM
How about a temporary Power of Attorney from the owner giving the sister the authority to sell the firearm.

kemasa
10-25-2009, 7:43 AM
Is the firearm on the certified list? If so, you can do it as a normal transfer. I would get a letter from the owner stating that they are authorizing the sale (power of attorney as suggested, perhaps).

ugimports
10-25-2009, 3:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...and yes, it's on the roster, but does that really matter anyway for a PPT? Or when you say normal transfer do you mean do it as if it was shipped to me since the original owner isn't there?

kemasa
10-25-2009, 4:15 PM
No, it does not matter for a PPT, just for a normal transfer, as if it was shipped. You really can't do a PPT if you tell the truth since the real owner is not available to go to the FFL. If you don't say what the true story is, then most likely it will go through, but if I was the FFL and knew where the real owner was I would not do it as a PPT.

ugimports
10-25-2009, 5:02 PM
No, it does not matter for a PPT, just for a normal transfer, as if it was shipped. You really can't do a PPT if you tell the truth since the real owner is not available to go to the FFL. If you don't say what the true story is, then most likely it will go through, but if I was the FFL and knew where the real owner was I would not do it as a PPT.

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if the Power of Attorney route would make the sister the "owner" vs. the custodian. In any case I don't mind running it as a normal transfer. I can just give my customer a discount so he's just paying the equivalent of PPT fees. He doesn't care how it's run on the 'back end'.

kemasa
10-25-2009, 5:06 PM
The power of attorney would allow for the selling of it. A letter from the owner would also work, with a copy of their ID.