PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of Open Carrying?

dude
10-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Is it legal to LOC anywhere in CA? Like in BLM land? Or is it strictly prohibited?

Barney Gumble
10-24-2009, 10:58 PM
:popcorn:

dude
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
It's probably a bone-headed question, I know.

:o

Uriah02
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes (http://www.opencarry.org/ca.html) it is legal to open carry but with certain specifics, such as it must be completely unconcealed AND unloaded. Yes, I know that is stupid and self defeating but if you are an unincorporated area you can lock and load.
Something else to consider, even if you are legally open carrying in a city (thus unloaded weapon) don't be surprised when LEOs approach you or if people make complaints about you... I wouldn't be surprised if your weapon would get confiscated temporarily or something along those lines...

Kid Stanislaus
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
There's been a TON of discussion here about UOC. PLEASE don't do it until a few court cases get ironed out. Yeah, there's always somebody who "marches to the beat of a different drummer" but can't it just wait?

HondaMasterTech
10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
California has no RKBA in its state Constitution. However, the 2nd amendment is headed in a very positive direction. It is understandable that certain indiviudals have requested that Unloaded Open Carry be avoided in incorporated areas of California until certain events have played out.

I would still consider a place like BLM or the National Forest ok to carry. Concealable firearms must be openly carried and if discharge is not prohibited you may load the weapon while carrying.

bigstick61
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
One thing I've been curious about is if having the gun in a flap holster would be defined by the State as being concealed.

wildhawker
10-24-2009, 11:26 PM
OP specifically inquired as to the laws surrounding loaded open carry.

hoffmang
10-24-2009, 11:31 PM
One can LOC in any unincorporated county where discharge is not prohibited by County ordinance. There is certainly a lot of acreage where it is legal, but those acres are not near any settled areas.

There may also be some additional restrictions based on the Fish & Game code as well as parks rules but I'll let others explain those.

-Gene

dantodd
10-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Is it legal to LOC anywhere in CA? Like in BLM land? Or is it strictly prohibited?

Well, it looks like you've learned that this is a loaded question around here. :D

As HondaMasterTech mentioned, the folks leading the fight for 2A in California feel UOC in urban area is detrimental to the political cause. This is primarily due to the public exposure.

However; in rural/undeveloped areas it is a different story. Carrying on BLM land where it is legal is not seen as a political liability. In general, if you can legally discharge your weapon you can legally carry it loaded. I'm sure that some folks will come by with more details about the specifics of identifying areas to carry. There are also a handful of website focused on open carry and there is a lot of good info there.

GrizzlyGuy
10-25-2009, 8:48 AM
See MudCamper's excellent thread here for info about firearms on BLM and other public lands (especially post #2 for BLM):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

Meplat
10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Loaded open carry is no big deal. Just don't do it in the wrong place. Find out the right place in advance. Generally incorporated areas are a no-no. BLM and national forrest is generally OK. Maybe that is why there are so many murders on BLM land.:43:

Don't try it in SF or LA, but then SF & LA would both benefit from a low yield nuclear weapon, kind of like cauterizing a boil on the but of the world.

Decoligny
10-26-2009, 8:03 AM

To all the folks giving info on UOC, it wasn't even mentioned by the OP.

As far as LOC or LOADED OPEN CARRY, it is legal. You just have to be outside of any incorporated city, in an area where the county has not made discharge of a firearm illegal. You must also remember to stay out of all the normal prohibited areas, like school zones and Government Buildings.

Each County has it's own rules regarding discharge of firearms. Some people will tell you, no dischard within 150 yards of a building. This does NOT cover Loaded Open Carry. The 150 yards from a building is from the Fish and Game regulations and deals specifically with "while hunting". So yes, you can carry LOC in neighborhoods.

Kern County has only one county ordinance dealing with the discharge of firearms. It states that discharge of firearms is prohibited in county parks. So here in Kern County, you can LOC in the vast majority of the county.

Los Angeles County on the other hand has ordinances that list vast tracts of land as areas where discharge of firearms is prohibited. You almost need to be a cartographer (map maker) to figure out where you can and where you can't LOC.

Do a search for the county ordinances for the county you wish to LOC in and search for the words firearms, guns, discharge, and ammunition. You should be able to figure out where you can LOC by reviewing these.

Decoligny
10-26-2009, 8:05 AM
One can LOC in any unincorporated county where discharge is not prohibited by County ordinance. There is certainly a lot of acreage where it is legal, but those acres are not near any settled areas.

There may also be some additional restrictions based on the Fish & Game code as well as parks rules but I'll let others explain those.

-Gene

No such thing as an "unincorporated county", only cities are incorporated.

dantodd
10-26-2009, 8:29 AM
No such thing as an "unincorporated county", only cities are incorporated.

I don't think Gene meant an unincorporated county. I am confident he meant any "unincorporated area in a county" Seems the reasonable reading of his post.

HondaMasterTech
10-26-2009, 8:50 AM
The OP seemed to have gotten plenty of help with his actual question. And, being the nice folks that frequent this site, many have provided a bit more information than requested. Isn't that a good thing?

MudCamper
10-26-2009, 9:05 AM
It's already been posted in this thread, but I'll post it again for easy reference: Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457)

Decoligny
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
The OP seemed to have gotten plenty of help with his actual question. And, being the nice folks that frequent this site, many have provided a bit more information than requested. Isn't that a good thing?

It is a good thing if you actually attempt to answer the OPs question, and then maybe give him some additional information. However, when a poster doesn't even address the original question and starts telling him things such as I have listed below, then I don't think it is very helpful.

FUD: Uriah02: Yes it is legal to open carry but with certain specifics, such as it must be completely unconcealed AND unloaded.

ANTI-OC: Kid Stanislaus: There's been a TON of discussion here about UOC. PLEASE don't do it until a few court cases get ironed out.

MudCamper
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Requests by CGF to stand down from UOC does not apply to remote unincorporated territory, NF, BLM, etc. That request is specific to urban areas. It is ridiculous to recommend not carrying out in the woods.

HondaMasterTech
10-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Absolutely. Especially carrying in the woods.

The last time I went I must have passed 50 people. None of which seemed to give half a crap about the fact that I was carrying. I did not pass anyone who was carrying. Which seemed strange to me. I find it amusing that these people feel comfortable in the middle of nowhere unarmed. Most of the people in the wild that I pass are not aggressive. I rarely find myself in situation around people where I feel I immediately NEED a gun. In the woods, however, I wouldn't be caught without one.

Army
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
The law recognizes belt holsters as being NOT concealed. It does not specify what the physical dimension of the holster must be. So, a full flap holster is legal.