View Full Version : Would I need an FFL for this situation?

10-24-2009, 9:43 PM
I have a friend who lives 50/50 in California and Nevada. He has a pistol that he purchased and registered in Nevada that I want to buy off of him. Since he also lives in California would we need an FFL if I purchased the weapon from him?

10-24-2009, 9:50 PM
Yes, all pistol transfers must go through a CA FFL, even if the seller is a CA resident.

Does he have a CA ID/DL? If yes, then he should be able to do a PPT transfer through your local dealer to you. Cost is $35 max, $25DROS + $10 dealer PPT fee.

If no, then it would be a regular transfer that the dealer could charge any fee he wished to do the transfer, and the pistol would have to be on the ROster of not-unsafe handguns, http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

10-24-2009, 9:52 PM
He does have a CA DL. Many thanks for the quick reply and accurate info ke6guj!

Just to make sure I understand this correctly. Even if the weapon was purchased and registered in Nevada, so long as he has a CA ID he can transfer it as a CA resident correct?