PDA

View Full Version : Probably can't get a CCW with a Misdemeanor record?

SCUBA noob
10-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Yep so I did something (very) stupid a few years back.

Thanks to the mistake I made I now have a misdemeanor record. (I have yet to expunge/seal my record.... Not sure whether that would make any difference.)

The misdemeanor in no way prohibits me from the posession/purchase of firearms. I have in fact passed the NICS several times.

Still, I am thinking there is no way in the world that I can now obtain a CCW. Am I right or wrong? I'm hoping I'm wrong. (Would it help if I didn't live in California?)

I owned/had access to firearms at the time I made this mistake. You'd think if I were prone to use a firearm in a crime, I'd have done it then.

Just a thought, but would a letter of recommendation help? I have a family member whom is in law enforcement (he is a detective.)

dark45
10-24-2009, 10:32 PM
i thought if you can legaly own a firearm and have "good cause" you can get one in california. i could be wrong. thats just my understanding. though if thats true then i myself probably have a problem. but i did get arested prier to turning 18.

alex00
10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
We can speculate, but only the issuing agency can say for sure. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask.

Mesa Defense
10-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Yep so I did something (very) stupid a few years back.

Thanks to the mistake I made I now have a misdemeanor record. (I have yet to expunge/seal my record.... Not sure whether that would make any difference.)

The misdemeanor in no way prohibits me from the posession/purchase of firearms. I have in fact passed the NICS several times.

Still, I am thinking there is no way in the world that I can now obtain a CCW. Am I right or wrong? I'm hoping I'm wrong. (Would it help if I didn't live in California?)

I owned/had access to firearms at the time I made this mistake. You'd think if I were prone to use a fiream in a crime, I'd have done it then.

Just a thought, but would a letter of recommendation help? I have a family member whom is in law enforcement (he is a detective.)

Depends on what is was and how long ago. Many states, county's etc. have specific excusions. For example a DUI conviction in the last 5 years may exclude a person. Check in the county. Should be easy to clarify. Good luck.

HkFan416
10-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Depends by agency. What county are you in?

dantodd
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
If you are legal to possess and have good cause the sheriff/chief MAY issue a license. However; they also have the right to deny you for any reason or for no reason at all. The deciding factor will be which jurisdiction you live in.

HondaMasterTech
10-24-2009, 11:55 PM
It's like applying for a job. The prospective employer MAY hire you but will probably hire his brother instead.

HAVOC5150
10-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I got busted for stupidity when I was 18, plead guilty (because I was) in court to a misdemeanor involving firearms and got hired at 21 by a law enforcement agency. In other words don't count yourself out, no one is perfect.

SCUBA noob
10-25-2009, 2:31 PM
Hey thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I thought I was doomed, period. Sounds like perhaps not.

I'll look into whom issues the permits, and make an inquiry as suggested.

Damn, it really makes you realize how stupid it is to do something like I did in retrospect.

If nothing else, I am extremely grateful that I can still at least own/purchase firearms.

Again, thanks kindly. I am very appreciative of your input.

gotgunz
10-25-2009, 2:39 PM
851.8 pc is your friend.

Seesm
10-25-2009, 3:23 PM
"WHAT" did you DO? :P JK

Kid Stanislaus
10-25-2009, 8:46 PM
i thought if you can legaly own a firearm and have "good cause" you can get one in california. i could be wrong. thats just my understanding. though if thats true then i myself probably have a problem. but i did get arested prier to turning 18.

Don't forget the "good moral character" catch.

PolishMike
10-25-2009, 8:53 PM
The #1 issue is what county you are in.

Quiet
10-25-2009, 9:09 PM
Don't forget the "good moral character" catch.

What he said.

For example...
In some counties/states, a DUI charge can either disqualify you for a CCW permit or have your CCW permit revoked.