PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to range?

waitwha?
10-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Tomorrow will be my first trip to the range where I'm not tagging along with someone. I picked up my glock 19 on friday and I'm ready to take it to the range tomorrow. Besides eyes and ears and the gun and ammo, anything else I should consider bringing to the range? Also, should I do any sort of cleaning to the glock before shooting it for the first time tomorrow?

rcantu
10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
you must be the one who bought it at T&A Armory.

you can either print out your own targets or buy theirs.

that's all you need. glocks really take abuse so no immediate need to clean it especially being new.

enjoy.

waitwha?
10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
you must be the one who bought it at T&A Armory.

you can either print out your own targets or buy theirs.

that's all you need. glocks really take abuse so no immediate need to clean it especially being new.

enjoy.

haha how'd you figure that I got it at T&A?

mydogsmonkey
10-24-2009, 10:25 PM
yes definately clean your barrel and chamber real quick to make sure theres no debris or anything to clog it up while shooting. you want to make sure its clear. not real intense cleaning though. bring your cleaning supplies, disassembly tools, ammo, targets, and you should be good for shooting handguns i believe

waitwha?
10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Is that copper stuff supposed to stay on there? If i run a mop with some break free on there through the barrel will that suffice?

RogueSniper
10-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Leave the copper stuff on the rail - it's lubricant.

Your Glock should have came with a rod and brush. You just need some quick brushing and you're ready.

Bring Masking Tape to repair your target and a Sharpie (black or red) to mark your shots. I usually bring a couple of extra large binder clips to secure my target, if necessary. I wear plugs and muffs to keep what hearing I have left.
http://www.mypencil.com/mall/mmm23412.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ksQE7i35iCc/SnjEB7ugbvI/AAAAAAAAAK0/z88Hm8EWzT0/s400/sharpie.jpg

ar15barrels
10-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Besides eyes and ears and the gun and ammo, anything else I should consider bringing to the range?

Magazines would be helpful.

Clayface
10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Hey I myself am going to the range too. I will be going to the Angeles shooting range and you?

waitwha?
10-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm going to the firing line in Huntington beach.

rcantu
10-24-2009, 11:04 PM
ESP.....

nah i was there buying parts when you called asking questions.

haha how'd you figure that I got it at T&A?

jonni
10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
I like to wear a hat. It keeps the sun out of my face and potentially hot brass off of my head/rolling down into my shirt

Scratch705
10-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I like to wear a hat. It keeps the sun out of my face and potentially hot brass off of my head/rolling down into my shirt

he is going to an indoor range so no hat needed... ;)

bring some targets if you don't want to pay.

www.targetz.com for some decent free ones you can print from your computer.

suggest you clean before going. will cut down on downtime at the range since you are paying per hour for lane use.

wash
10-24-2009, 11:57 PM
For outdoor ranges with target stands a staple gun is good to have.

TenSeven
10-25-2009, 1:43 AM
Because I wanted to test the reputation, I did -nothing-.-nothing- to both of the Glocks I recently bought prior to taking them to the range.

Well, aside from the obvious field strip / cycle test, of course...

Straight out of the box with no lube added they both functioned perfectly:

G19: 300-350 or so rounds
G33: 150 rounds

I did break down and clean them today.

But, cleaning a Glock is... what? Disassemble, wipe off the frame and slide, brush the barrel and feed ramp, dotting on a little oil here-and-there, and reassemble?

Maybe 5-6 minutes per gun?

Now I want to go get them dirty again!

I really do need to work on that G33... the 357SIG is... interesting...

TenSeven
10-25-2009, 2:00 AM
Is that copper stuff supposed to stay on there?

On my Glocks, I made no effort to remove the copper-colored lube that comes from the factory. Leave it on, you will be fine.

ar15barrels
10-25-2009, 7:13 AM
Is that copper stuff supposed to stay on there?

That's the break-in lube.
Leave it there.
Go shoot the piss out of the gun.

Greg-Dawg
10-25-2009, 8:20 AM
Read the manual, clean it and shoot it.

waitwha?
10-25-2009, 8:57 AM
read the owners manual. Field stripped it and put a little bit of oil on the rails, around the barrel and ran a mop through the barrel. Tried not to remove any of that copper stuff. Any last tips before I head out to the range for the first time?!

Greg-Dawg
10-25-2009, 9:54 AM
Be very familiar with their range rules and have fun Susan.

Colt
10-25-2009, 2:49 PM
Bring some band aids - in case you nick a fingertip or something. Surprising how often I've handed one to a fellow shooter (and used a coulpe myself).

Have fun!

forgiven
10-25-2009, 2:55 PM
Bring a great attitude and have a wonderful time.

waitwha?
10-25-2009, 5:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. The glock 19 performed flawlessly. No jams or any hickups in all 150 rounds. 100% perfect right out of the box. I cleaned it up and its back in its box now :)

johnthomas
10-25-2009, 11:40 PM
You had a great day then. Remember thou, the gun is always loaded until you check the chamber, even if your the one that put it back in the box.

pingpong
10-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Guns and ammo.

I bring shoot-n-c targets because otherwise i cant see where my shots are past 15 yards.

B Strong
10-26-2009, 6:13 AM
Tomorrow will be my first trip to the range where I'm not tagging along with someone. I picked up my glock 19 on friday and I'm ready to take it to the range tomorrow. Besides eyes and ears and the gun and ammo, anything else I should consider bringing to the range? Also, should I do any sort of cleaning to the glock before shooting it for the first time tomorrow?

Always strip and inspect at least before first firing any firearm, new or used. It's very cheap insurance.

GrayWolf09
10-26-2009, 4:26 PM
Next time bring extra ammo for me.

If I am not there send it to me.:mnl: