PDA

View Full Version : Dont you find rude when strangers ask if they can shoot your gun at the range?

Clayface
10-24-2009, 10:00 PM
seriously like if your constant starring wasn't enough , some idiots start of by starting small talk about what type it is then they act like if they were in your group. And finaly they find the will to go up to complete strangers and ask if they can shoot there firearm. Seriously with the price of ammo these days , people like that should be banned from ranges.

Do you agree ? Have you ever been approached like that ? What have you replied ?

Bruce3
10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Im usually more than happy to let strangers shoot my firearms. As long as they're safe about it and are not total d-bags.

oaklander
10-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't mind. I usually ask if I can shoot their guns - so it comes out even. . .

:D

Josh3239
10-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds kinda rude to me. Usually just talking with people gets me a couple shots and people coming up to me just being friendly usually get a couple shots. I always looked at it like, if they want others to shoot their guns they'll invite me. But no, I don't think I have ever come out and asked to shoot someone else's gun. Usually you talk and show interest and they'll get the picture, if they want to make an offer they'll make an offer and if they don't then they don't.

Dr Rockso
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I must not have cool enough guns. If someone asked to pop a couple rounds off I'd let them.

Jason762
10-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Most people seem to hint or show an interest in shooting it.

Then I'll ask if they want to shoot it. Usually they say yes. Haven't really had anyone ask if they'd like to shoot my gun.

Tragic Image
10-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I have no problem sharing.

chickenfried
10-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I haven't been approached like that. I've asked people if they would like to try out one of my guns and other times people have let me try there's out. But I wouldn't ask if they didn't offer and agree it's a little rude.

smle-man
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I've never had someone ask if they can shoot one of my firearms but if someone admires one of mine I offer to let them shoot it and I've had others do the same for me. Shooters are generally pretty generous folks. I asked a kid the other day who was admiring my 1919A6 if he wanted to do 10 rds through it. He did. It made his shooting trip that day!

SNEAKS
10-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I would say if they buy a box of ammo for us to split and shoot out of my gun then its okay otherwise if Im not offering its becuase they have nothing to bring to the table. I would not dare ask another fisherman if I could fish with him on his boat without offering to pay for some gas and lunch for the day. Its just common sense.

Beelzy
10-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Well unless you have a Mini-gun you won't be bothered by me. :p

PS. Do Not buy a Belt-Fed firearm, you'll spontaneously combust. :punk:

THT
10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't really mind.

MrPlutonium
10-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah my guns must not be on the "it" list. I've never been asked before, but I would imagine that rudeness factor would depend mostly on their manner of asking.

phish
10-24-2009, 10:21 PM
If I'm in the middle of a string and my shoulder gets tapped, yeah, it's rude. If I get hit up with small talk and a polite request during a target change, sure.

res2580
10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I was at the range one time and the man beside my lane had this huge revolver. I told him that his gun is real nice and the he offered my to shoot it. I said "No thanks, but your gun is really nice!" Then I offered mine for him to shoot. He tried my XD9 coz he liked the looks of it. Not really a bid deal with me or with him, I guess.

niceguy
10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I've never had one ask, but I've offered, and shared in an exchange. On one occasion, I asked if I could shoulder a guy's FAL, explaining that I'd heard that their ergonomics were better than my HK. But I turned down the offer to pull the trigger.

We'd talked quite a bit before that, though. Gotta kiss before going further, ya know.

ar15barrels
10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
seriously like if your constant starring wasn't enough , some idiots start of by starting small talk about what type it is then they act like if they were in your group. And finaly they find the will to go up to complete strangers and ask if they can shoot there firearm. Seriously with the price of ammo these days , people like that should be banned from ranges.

Do you agree ? Have you ever been approached like that ? What have you replied ?

I disagree.
You must just be a bitter person.
Anyone else likes making small talk and letting people try their guns.
The other guy usually offers you his in trade.
That's how you get to shoot a wide variety of guns without owning them all or having to rent them.

Lyte-
10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
I agree with Randall I have no problem with sharing, its part of the comradely

Clayface
10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
The key word in my rant is " with the price of ammo "

Bullets aren't cheap, for example if some guy asked to shoot 5 rounds off my .460 that about 10 bucks. Am I really a douche if I worked half an hour at my job to pay for those bullets. so this guy can just walk away with a smile on his face?

Seriously?

sorensen440
10-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't find it rude at all and am always happy to share
(rude would be if they didnt ask)
as for the price of ammo even the expensive stuff isnt too much to share a magazines worth

Jonathan Doe
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't mind letting them to shoot a few rounds. A few rounds doesn't make much difference on my ammo supply.

Farquaad
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I take it as a complement. I have let many people shoot my guns if they ask and if they look interested I offer. I personally find it fun to share my firearms with others, must mean I have something cool.

ar15barrels
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Bullets aren't cheap, for example if some guy asked to shoot 5 rounds off my .460 that about 10 bucks. Am I really a douche if I worked half an hour at my job to pay for those bullets. so this guy can just walk away with a smile on his face?

Seriously?

Yep.
If money's that tight, maybe shooting is not a good hobby for you.

I hear knitting is pretty cheap.
Also, I never heard of anyone asking to try your knitting needles.

Scratch705
10-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Seriously?

then let them know they can shoot it if they pay to offset your cost. easy as that.

or just let them only shoot 1 round. that $2 you can earn with your 1 of 2 mandatory paid work break so it shouldn't be too hard on you since you aren't working then

ETD1010
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Yep.

Eek, I dunno. My wife is an avid knitter, and it's anything BUT cheap. She can spend $20-$40 on a scane (ball) of yarn that will make 1 pair of socks, or 1/3 a scarf. . . we have a blanket that was made with 14+ . . . PRICEY!! There ARE high end knitting setups (like dillions VS single stage). My wife has a higher respect now for my hobbies being expensive.

As to the topic. I LOVE to share! I get to try guns I've never shot, and they get to try something else! If you OP feels otherwise, you can kindly decline and give your reasons (expensive ammo).

SJgunguy24
10-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Yep.

Damn Randall, thats just damn funny right there!

Anything I can do to get somebody into shooting and firearms ownership i'll do.
If your a dick to some newB and they never get into the hobby/passion you can count that one towards the anti's.

Spyder
10-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Without fail, every time I take the 50 out, someone I've never met gets to fondle it. Some shoot it, some don't. But I'm never irritated or think that people are d bags just becaues they like my stuff!

50BMGBOB
10-24-2009, 11:27 PM
If someone out of the blue just ask, yes it is rude but if they are interested in one of my guns I will usally offer to let them shoot a round or two. Even with the cost of 50BMG I'll still let them try it. I do limit how many rounds they get to try because I'm not made of money.

BigJB
10-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I know Guys at the trap club with $12000 Perazzis that have no problem letting others shoot a round with their guns, my dad included.

unusedusername
10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Eek, I dunno. My wife is an avid knitter, and it's anything BUT cheap. She can spend $20-$40 on a scane (ball) of yarn that will make 1 pair of socks, or 1/3 a scarf. . . we have a blanket that was made with 14+ . . . PRICEY!! There ARE high end knitting setups (like dillions VS single stage). My wife has a higher respect now for my hobbies being expensive.

Wow you know way too much about knitting. :chris:

johnthomas
10-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I disagree.
You must just be a bitter person.
Anyone else likes making small talk and letting people try their guns.
The other guy usually offers you his in trade.
That's how you get to shoot a wide variety of guns without owning them all or having to rent them.

I agree, I have shot weapon's that I thought I would like to own and discovered for free that they would not work for me. I have also been able to help other's discover if my gun's are something they like. I have never asked to shoot a weapon, I offer, and as you say, it usually ends as a trade type of thing. I believe thou, there may be a liability issue with letting someone shoot your weapon.

paintballergb
10-24-2009, 11:36 PM
No one has ever asked me and I am glad. I don't walk up to random woman and ask if I can hold their baby so don't ask to hold mine. Now if a person offered up one of their firearms to shoot then I would return the favor.

jonni
10-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I remember when I took my 1951 Russian SKS out for the first time at Burro. I was busy shooting and I overheard 1 guy talking to his friend about my sks. I had electronic hearing protection so I heard what they were saying. After the sks was empty I turned to them and asked if they wanted to fire a couple rounds out of it. They declined and we ended up making small talk about the sks

I personally dont think its rude for a stranger to ask to shoot my rifle

forgiven
10-25-2009, 12:00 AM

No. Usually I can tell when someone is interested and I just offer. I pay special attention to women as they seem to be left out a bit when shooting with more than one guy.

Black Majik
10-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Nope, I don't mind.

Dr Pete
10-25-2009, 12:30 AM
I take it as a compliment.
Never had anyone just come up and ask thou.
Just making small talk and usually exchange information about our guns.
Last time I was at the range got to shoot slugs through a real nice shotgun.
Had a good day--I learned something!
I don't consider this hobby expensive, if I can't let someone shoot $10 worth of my ammo I shouldn't be doing this IMHO.

SickofSoCal
10-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Share and share alike.

Two Shots
10-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I've never thought about it, I just don't feel it's a problem to offer a person a few shots if they're interested in the weapon.

Vanguard
10-25-2009, 1:01 AM
When that happens to me, I just say "Sure, go down range and set up the targets first" as I rack the charging handle and stare at him with crazy eyes.

Just kidding....I've never had anyone ask.

ETD1010
10-25-2009, 1:29 AM

I learn by association. So does she when it comes to guns (She has three of her very own). I have yet, however, to get my own set of knitting needles :cool:

GW
10-25-2009, 1:51 AM
Have you ever been approached like that ? What have you replied ?

Yes I have
and if they were polite, I said sure.

Its a simple courtesy Say someone is interested in an M1A. No one rents them AFAIK and they are expensive to buy if you aren't wealthy. So I'll let someone try it before he buys it.
Again, As long as they show simple courtesy

Hayashi Killian
10-25-2009, 1:53 AM
I don't mind as long as I'm asked/approached nicely. If I'm shooting something with an expensive round I may limit how much they can shoot, but otherwise I'll give them a magazine.

Last time at the range, I was wondering what another person was firing, since I couldn't see the weapon but the report was loud. I asked, he told me it was a Mini14, I gave a few comments, he offered to let me pop a mag. I did, thanked him, and told him he'd be welcome to shoot my Mossberg but he brought his own. :D

greasemonkey
10-25-2009, 1:57 AM
I don't know, I just shoot out in the country...all people present were invited by me specifically so we could share

technique
10-25-2009, 2:00 AM
I always ask someone who is staring if they would like to shoot my gun, I let them use my ammo as well.
Most people like to spread BRD, and legal info about it, let them know they can find info on how to obtain one @ Calguns.net...

Bad attitudes such as yours don't belong at the range...we gun owners are good people.

nagorb
10-25-2009, 2:20 AM
The only person I've ever asked was a fellow calgunner.

I've offered to let many people shoot my guns at the range and every time they have offered for me shoot theirs. As ar15barrels said that way you get to shoot a variety of guns. I do think its weird if they don't offer to let you shoot theirs though.

The way I figure it is if you don't want people to even look at you is to either buy crappy guns, or find yourself a range where no one else goes.

NSR500
10-25-2009, 2:22 AM
For me it is all about approach. If you approach me in polite fashion and don't come off like an ammo mooch, I'm okay with allowing a few rounds down range.

TenSeven
10-25-2009, 2:24 AM
I don't mind as long as I'm asked/approached nicely.

Indeed, I am of the same mind.

Once at The Firing Line in HB I ran into another CalGunner (Username = I Have No Recollection) that was mystified and intrigued by my HK P7M8.

He had heard of them but never used one and asked me about it. He had 9mm ammo on-hand, so I showed him how it worked and let him shoot my gun / his ammo until he was happy (maybe 25-30 rounds).

Another time I was at TFL and met (too bad for me I'm married) a very MILFy Asian woman who was fascinated by my highly unusual and exotic blued Ruger 10/22 with open sights, which I taught her to shoot.

She asked nicely for an intro to firearms, I did not sweat the "cost" of the .22... :)

Ruiner
10-25-2009, 3:25 AM
Not at all. Although I suppose it depends on how they approach you. "yo dawg, leme pop off sum clips from that ****" without prior conversation would definitely be rude. I've had the opportunity to shoot many guns because people have offered me a chance to shoot them. That said, out of respect, I only fire 1 round unless they say otherwise. When I offer someone the chance to shoot one of my EBRs, I usually hand them a full mag.

bruceflinch
10-25-2009, 6:52 AM

Now don't be a hater! :)

My wife is into dancing. Last year, she spent as much on dancing as I spent on shooting. She spends weekend days doing house stuff while I go shooting. She spends evenings dancing, while I reload ammo. ( Yes, her partners know I'm a firearns enthusiast. ;) )

I know a lot more about Dancing, but can't dance. She knows a lot more about guns, but isn't interested in shooting. It works for us!

Now back to the thread...

If somebody admires one of my pieces, then I always let them blast a few. But since I mostly shoot Action Pistol & don't spend much time on the Public Range, it isn't that often. When I'm on the Public Range, I have no qualms about correcting some d-bag's safety issue in a polite manner. & I have no qualms about letting somebody blast a few if they are of the polite persuasion.

But when somebody shows up at the AP Range with a new toy. We line up to help de-virginize it! The other night my Buddies shot over 60 rounds through my new AR15. It's all good! :D

bruceflinch
10-25-2009, 6:57 AM
Indeed, I am of the same mind.

Another time I was at TFL and met (too bad for me I'm married) a very MILFy Asian woman who was fascinated by my highly unusual and exotic blued Ruger 10/22 with open sights, which I taught her to shoot.

She asked nicely for an intro to firearms, I did not sweat the "cost" of the .22... :)

Now you're making me a hater! :D

Jonathan Doe
10-25-2009, 8:03 AM
I know Guys at the trap club with $12000 Perazzis that have no problem letting others shoot a round with their guns, my dad included.

I let someone shoot my Perazzi and Krieghoff shotguns before. No sweat.:cool:

Midian
10-25-2009, 8:11 AM
Never bothered me. If I'd never shared I would have never been able to shoot a Walther PPK, a Sig 556, a Nighthawk, and a howitzer of an S&W 629

bombadillo
10-25-2009, 8:11 AM
I always try to let people shoot my guns if asked outright. I saw a guy eyeballing an AR the other day and all he could do was stare at it. He hadn't seen one in california for a long time apparently and when I asked him if he'd like to shoot it, he did all but jump up and down like a school boy. It all comes back around man, people are always asking if I want to shoot their rifles and I always try to throw them some ammo for it. If someone wants to shoot my .44 i'll either load up a cylinder if they want to see what they can hit or if they just want to feel the recoil, i'll load in 2 rounds and laugh at the first one, then show them how to grip it better on the second one. (BTW I wouldn't let somone limp wrist the thing and risk it hitting the ground so if it looks like they're gonna drop it, or have it fly up in their face I wouldn't let it happen)

Anyway, moral of the story is because of the like minds and attitudes out there, I get to shoot a lot of guns I wouldn't have otherwise and try to let people do the same. It also makes for more informed decisions when buying guns.

professorhard
10-25-2009, 8:12 AM
I have no problem letting people shoot most of my guns. Except the real big ones. .338LM .375 H&H and .50BMG because I just don't want to be responsible if they get scope eye or some other kind of injury. And the ammo tends to be pretty expensive.

Voo
10-25-2009, 8:14 AM
There's mooching and there's sharing.

I'm way more than happy to share with someone who's genuinely interested in shooting.

I've yet to run into anyone who's been that anti-social that they couldnt share a few rounds or a magazine of ammo. In fact, it's almost always been the opposite, people actually enjoy sharing and talking about firearms. This attitude goes for most hobbies it seems.

Greg-Dawg
10-25-2009, 8:18 AM
Tell them to go screw themself!

masameet
10-25-2009, 8:37 AM
Oh, fer Pete's sake. Are a few rounds shot by somebody else going to eat into your ammo hoard?

Most shooters are willing to let other people handhold and dryfire, if not shoot, their handguns at the local range. Saying hello, chitchatting, then bringing a firearm over and saying -- "Hey! Try this out" -- are part and parcel of the human quality of socializing. It's also a great way to share one's firearms enthusiasm and maybe making a friend. I certainly have tried other handguns and rifles and have been impressed with the generosity shown to me at the range. And I've reciprocated. :D

What I can't stand at the range is the level of stupidity that guys show us female shooters by saying moronic things like, "Look! She's a good shot!" and then the buddy says, deprecatingly, "Yeah, but she's shooting left-handed."

Yeah, right. Make yourself feel better by putting 'er down.

rkt88edmo
10-25-2009, 8:41 AM
I don't find it rude.

I enjoy talking to other shooters a bit at the range during the ceasefire.

radioburning
10-25-2009, 8:52 AM
I thought that was just part of shooting at a range. They try yours, you try theirs, talk a little bit, learn a little bit. I let people shoot my guns all the time if they're friendly and seem genuinely interested in what I brought to the range that day. The only time I think it's rude is when they don't offer some shots with what they brought in return.

Boo_Radley
10-25-2009, 9:04 AM
I've always felt that us gunnies are a friendly bunch. If you didn't share every now and again, I think we'd stop being a community. I don't think I've ever gone to the range without sharing a bit.

M47_Dragon
10-25-2009, 9:05 AM
I have no problem letting people shoot most of my guns. Except the real big ones. .338LM .375 H&H and .50BMG because I just don't want to be responsible if they get scope eye or some other kind of injury.

That is a pretty good reason, IMO.

I don't mind sharing at all. Anytime I've been asked, the other shooter has always offered their gun in return.

The only time I outright asked somebody to shoot their gun was when I was with a new female shooter. She was shooting one of my guns, and in the market for her own. The shooter next to us had one that I thought she might be interested in. I mentioned the situation to him and he was more than happy to help. I offered him my gun to shoot in return, and he politely declined. I said she'd only pop off a couple rounds, I just wanted her to see if the gun was comfortable in her hand and if the recoil was manageable. He insisted she fire off two whole mags!! I offered him ammo in return - he didn't want anything!

To me, that's what it's all about.

dirtnap
10-25-2009, 9:10 AM
I don't ask to shoot other people weapons, but I will ask to peek through their optic if it's something I'm interested in(like a 3x for my Eotech). If I notice people lurking behind me because of what I'm shooting I will offer a couple rounds to them.

bombadillo
10-25-2009, 9:14 AM
What I can't stand at the range is the level of stupidity that guys show us female shooters by saying moronic things like, "Look! She's a good shot!" and then the buddy says, deprecatingly, "Yeah, but she's shooting left-handed."

Yeah, right. Make yourself feel better by putting 'er down.

If you're watching and shooting better than they are and a comment like that comes up, ask if they're willing to put up some money for a dollar a shot in the "insert desired ring here" ring. Or I shoot better you pay for my range fee. That'll shut him up. I hate it when d-bags are rude to women because they think they know nothing about firearms. I actually had a lady teaching me some new high power techniques last time out and she was a dang good shot that killed my shooting.

chickenfried
10-25-2009, 9:15 AM
that's a little extreme, being stingy ain't a crime :p.

Bad attitudes such as yours don't belong at the range

gwl
10-25-2009, 9:36 AM
It hasn't been a problem for me. I think of it as sharing a common interest with someone.

freakshow10mm
10-25-2009, 9:37 AM
At the range I shoot, it's on a college campus in the basement of the "Student Development Complex", appropriate name. We have all sorts of people and the college has clubs like IDPA, rifle, bullseye, archery. About 20% of the people are gunnies and are active in the clubs. The other 80% are usually first timers. Lots of exchange students never saw a real gun before, let alone shoot one. The range has a couple of guns for their use.

A lot of guys will gawk at the stuff I bring in. They are curious and just want to check stuff out.

Most of the time if someone asks to shoot they are interested in buying one for themselves and want to take advantage of the opportunity to shoot before they plunk down cash on a gun they might not like, then have to sell or stick with it.

There's a difference between "lemme shoot your gun once" and "hi, I'm looking at buying one of those but I'm not sure if I will like it. Do you mind if I take just a couple shots to check it out?"

Clayface
10-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Seriously?

mquejr
10-25-2009, 10:17 AM
i'd let them fire of a couple of rounds, if they seem nice

mquejr
10-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Seriously?

if you give them an explanation, maybe they'll offer to pay for the rounds they use :)

Sig357
10-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Depends on their approach, but I don't mind. It's actually a compliment, they see something they like in your arsenal. Plus, you can plug Calguns while your at it, and help a "new guy" obtain something they thought impossible.

Gio
10-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Stop it before you hurt yourself Clayface. Maybe instead of begrudging the price of the ammo and or the ammo used you could be like yes you can shoot it. Pop off 2 or 3 if you feel comfortable with it after the first shot/s. If it is that big of a concern to you that you are letting someone shoot off $10 then I would state the fact that you are running out of ammo for the day or make up something along those lines. But seriously, I have taken friends out to local ranges and dropped over $200 on ammo alone. Did I get all mad and or ask for my money back? No, as a matter of fact I now have 3 good shooting buddies which come over and help reload and go shooting with as well now. Not bad for taking 5 complete n00bs out with me one night. All of them had never even seen let alone touched a real firearm. My favorite time at the range was letting my dad use my AR, he went through $200 worth of ammo in an afternoon. He is worth it though, he served in the USAF and it brought back a lot of good memories for him.

So either man up, or stop shooting. This should help you out a bit, "Sharing is Caring, Caring is Sharing" ;) IF you can't do that then I suggest a new hobby that can be shared for less out of pocket expenses.

Take care,

-Gio

Lucky Scott
10-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Usually other shooters offer to let me shoot their guns first. I find that most of the people at the range are very friendly and nice. A few rounds here and there dont really make a difference in my ammo supple and I like meeting new people and talking guns with them.
I am more than happy to let people try my guns and its fun to see someone shoot a Mosin for the first time.

sargenv
10-25-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't see the issue.. load the magazine for them, say 5 or 10 rounds.. and that's all.. 5-10 rounds is all it usually takes, and if it's a thumper, sometimes only 2 or 3 is enough... (big bore rifles or handguns).

Sniper3142
10-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I've been asked a few times and I've always said yes.

I have no problem if someone shows an interest in shooting or learning.

beast556
10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
If some one shows interest in my guns I offer to let them shoot them. There is no reason to be a d**k about it.

Rick530
10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Only time I'm ever approched is when I have the ar50 out. Typically they don't want to shoot it tho. Except for the old retired army guy. Let him send a few downrange. Put a giant smile on his face.

West coast
10-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I have no problem, long as they show safety and know what they are doing.

audihenry
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Isn't that part of the hobby? If someone asks nicely and shows genuine interest, I'd let them shoot a couple of rounds. $0.60 worth of ammo isn't going to kill me.

On the other hand, I did once ask someone for a ride in their exotic and they turned me down. I guess they didn't want my *** wearing down their passenger seat or something. :rolleyes:

cgseanp1
10-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Without reading all the responses here, I'd say that, no, it isn't rude. I guess it depends on how they ask. I'd glady let someone shoot one of my guns if they wanted. Of course, I don't have any cool guns so that won't happen, but if it did, I wouldn't mind:)

chickenfried
10-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Be generous or don't shoot? You guys are going a little far aren't you?

So either man up, or stop shooting.
-Gio

Sunwolf
10-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Seriously?

Learn to reload.

cgseanp1
10-25-2009, 11:41 AM
If the ammo you are shooting costs that much, then maybe just let him shoot a few rounds. I can see how that could be slightly ackward, especially if they wanted to shoot a bunch. You could always just lie and say you are out, but then you'd have to shop shooting:) hah that's probably what I'd do, but im a wuss like that.

Vanguard
10-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Learn to reload.

Time is money too. :D

Seesm
10-25-2009, 12:17 PM
if they are friends I am cool with it... Strangers it bugs me..

evidens83
10-25-2009, 1:02 PM
Every time I've taken my AR to my local indoor range I've had a few people show interest in my EBR. I'll offer to let them shoot a round or two if the conversation is right. Who knows I may have converted another fellow gun enthusiast to the disease :43: Its usually the noobies who didnt even know we can have ARs. I dont mind sharing.

gregorylucas
10-25-2009, 1:05 PM
I always seem to get people curious about my AR's and AK's when I bring them to the range. One in a while I'll get asked, I don't mind and sometimes I'm even flattered.

-Greg

leitung
10-25-2009, 1:17 PM
I have had people curious about my guns, I usually let them put some down range. I have never had anyone come up and straight ask. I would probably be okay as long as they are being mature and safe. I also would make sure they own guns themselves just to be safe.

Vinz
10-25-2009, 2:25 PM
Every time I've taken my AR to my local indoor range I've had a few people show interest in my EBR. I'll offer to let them shoot a round or two if the conversation is right. Who knows I may have converted another fellow gun enthusiast to the disease :43: Its usually the noobies who didnt even know we can have ARs. I dont mind sharing.

I believe there are at least a half dozen new OLL owners from encounters during our range outings. I usually offer to let a stranger shoot my guns if they show interest in what we have in the racks.

It was a similar situation that further sparked my interest as a young man at the range with my father.

vinz

Scratch705
10-25-2009, 2:42 PM

Seriously?
already answered back on page 3
then let them know they can shoot it if they pay to offset your cost. easy as that.

or just let them only shoot 1 round. that $2 you can earn with your 1 of 2 mandatory paid work break so it shouldn't be too hard on you since you aren't working then
and to add to the above, take a #2 at work and you will be in there for that 30 minutes. all paid too... :D

and there are many more members that said the same thing.

either ask them to pay to offset or don't let them fire off more than 1 round.

JagerTroop
10-25-2009, 2:46 PM
I have never asked, nor have I ever been asked. However, at the last Chabot shoot-n-que I was at, I was shooting next to Mikeb. He was shooting a muzzleloader, and I, my AR. We got to talking about the ML, and he offered for me and the Mrs to load and shoot it. It was really neat :D Of course, I returned the favor, offering a full mag(featureless, pre ban) in exchange.

I have no problem letting others shoot my guns, as long as they are respectfull and they aren't the "thug" type.

Big D
10-25-2009, 3:21 PM
I don't think it's rude. I mean, isn't part of this sport/activity that we all love about meeting other people? I have had people ask to shoot my guns at the range, and I had no problem. Last time I was at the range I asked to fire another guy's rifle, however I had ammunition of that caliber and used my own.

Rob454
10-25-2009, 4:12 PM
I dont have a problem sharing. Shooting a few rounds is nto gonna break me. Also depends on the person. If the guy is a d bag then I dont offer but I let these guys shoot one of my SKS rifles and they ended up being pretty cool. they fed me and offered to pay for the ammo. they were newbies they had a few 22s. I let the dad shoot my 30-06 my pistols 45 and 44 and my sks. They offered to let me shoot their 22s but I declined. I did get a really good lunch out of it
letting someone shoot a few rounds is not a biggie. Even if i had a gun that took expensive ammo i woudl still let them shoot it. Im not gonna be a d bag and tell the guy yeah but you gotta give me x amount of money to shoot it. if youre going there to shoot you are gonna spend those rounds either way so letting someone shoot somethign they will probably never afford or will never shoot again IMO is a small inconvenience. if I was going to a gun meet I woudl have no problem allowing someone to pop off a few rounds if they wished to. pretty much everyone I ever allowed to shoot my gun reciprocated by wanting me to shoot theirs.

Bobotheclown
10-25-2009, 4:35 PM
I have no problem if they request politely. One magazine of ammo isn't too bad. Besides, they may have something I want to try out.

jamesob
10-25-2009, 4:36 PM
when my 50bmg is out, everyone wants to shoot it. i just can't afford for everyone to shoot it.

Vanguard
10-25-2009, 4:43 PM
when my 50bmg is out, everyone wants to shoot it. i just can't afford for everyone to shoot it.

I'd PAY to shoot that. :D

mosinnagantm9130
10-25-2009, 5:00 PM
I'd PAY to shoot that. :D

Same here. I'd pay the cost of a round so I could shoot it.

socaldsal
10-25-2009, 5:14 PM
It depends on who is asking.

I had a older guy politely ask if he could shoot one of mine and I let him. He offered to buy me a box of ammo to replace all of THREE rounds he squeezed off, and I just had to decline. In the course of conversation I found out that he was a Vietnam vet. Real nice on the level guy.

Now if it were some kid who comes up (this has happened to me) saying, "Yo dawg lemme shoot dat cuz I wanna try it man, is it cool?", while picking up one of my empty magazines, then I say I'm out of ammo. I told him the rest of the box were bad rounds, then kept on shooting until that box was empty. Calling me a punk after I said that didn't win me over either.

Knowing how to properly ask, with the right attitude, goes a long way.

ArkinDomino
10-25-2009, 5:20 PM
I don't mind. People of all ages have tried my AR and I end up giving them a piece of paper with "calguns.net" written on it. :cool:

hawk81
10-25-2009, 5:39 PM
Yeah, with the price of ammo it is not cool.

ar15barrels
10-25-2009, 7:33 PM
Time is money too. :D

Only if you otherwise get paid during the time you would have been reloading.
I don't know anyone that gets paid to hang around the house/garage.

However, you are correct in that the time I spend reloading saves me money, so indeed, time is money, in my pocket...

ar15barrels
10-25-2009, 7:34 PM
already answered back on page 3

He's still looking for a more favorable response. ;)

bigmike82
10-25-2009, 7:41 PM
"Knowing how to properly ask, with the right attitude, goes a long way. "
+1

I don't think it's rude, and I don't mind allowing others to shoot my toys. I don't generally just go up to people and ask, though there have been times I've been sorely tempted (like when two dudes at Angeles were shooting a pair of rifles that looked like an Aug and a G3).

PolishMike
10-25-2009, 7:45 PM
I love when people ask to shoot my guns. I sometimes have more fun watching others than shooting myself.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
10-25-2009, 7:46 PM
I have let a lot of people shoot my stuff at the range. I don't really care. If it was expensive ammo then i would let them shoot a couple of rounds.

CAL.BAR
10-25-2009, 7:57 PM
I normally shoot very unusual weapons (RAW's and the like) stuff most folks have only seen in the movies. I don't mind at all sharing such unusual weapons with fellow shooters. In fact, I feel it's my duty to show people the RAWs we lost before and what we are fighting to get back. I will usually offer to let folks shoot my guns if they appear interested.

capitol
10-25-2009, 8:05 PM
JERK!

ar15barrels
10-25-2009, 8:16 PM
I normally shoot very unusual weapons (RAW's and the like) stuff most folks have only seen in the movies. I don't mind at all sharing such unusual weapons with fellow shooters. In fact, I feel it's my duty to show people the RAWs we lost before and what we are fighting to get back.

I do get sick of the new oll shooters at public ranges telling me that my RAW is illegal because I am using large capacity mags and don't have a bullet button.

johnthomas
10-25-2009, 8:17 PM
I was at the range today. I was talking to a young man about his 91/30. He seemed interested in my par-1 and sks, I offered and he fired them both. I'm not one of those guys that growl and gives dirty looks when someone enters my space. I always maintain thou, your guns your rules.

ghost
10-25-2009, 8:18 PM
i usually dont mind,especially if they have ammo to feed it.:D
i do mind if a random stranger goes to my firearm,picks it up and pulls the trigger on it without my ok.

MAD SVT
10-25-2009, 8:26 PM
Can we turn this into a poll'd thread??? Id like to see wat the majority of people feel.

I personally have NO problem letting anyone shoot something of mine, and usually offer when i see someone interested.

I went to a range when i was about 19yr old, and i was with my buddy who was around the same age, punkish looking mind you. I saw an older man (ex. navy/lumberjack/get off my lawn looking guy.... got the picture?)
He fired a 50cal Black Powder Cabot pistol... i just about shat myself and asked "WOAH!!!! dude can i shoot that, i'll pay $5 for one shot!!" expecting a verbal lashing..... he KINDLY abliged... no charge.... he liked that i was interested in a dying sport.

that was 10yrs ago... and still the most awesome single shot ive ever taken.

Gijoe
10-25-2009, 8:27 PM
Ill let anyone try a few rounds as long as there responsible. Try to turn them into a addict .. I turned 6 people who never even seen a gun in to a gun buying nut job like the rest of us..

More guns in the world the BETTER:43:

Desert_Rat
10-25-2009, 8:32 PM
I love it when I get the chance to swap firearms with somebodt at the range.My son has been able to fire some really cool guns this way.I agree with others,if $10.00 is going to break the bank,then Your priorities are screwed up.It's like having a boat or RV and not being able to afford to go fishing/skiing or camping.

Screehopper
10-25-2009, 8:41 PM
I have no problem letting them shoot my gun. It might even get them to buy the same model gun themselves.

karrenrlim
10-25-2009, 8:58 PM
No problem on letting them shoot. Not rude. I'll be flattered. :p

ar15robert
10-25-2009, 9:00 PM
Years ago i was interested in a mini 14 i talked to a guy near me who had one and asked him how he liked it and stuff we chatted a lil bit and he loaded up a few rounds and let me shoot it.

I ended up buying one a short time later.I wouldnt mind letting others shoot my guns as long as they are respectful of my guns.

Seems to me many gun owners are more than happy to let others shoot their guns

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-25-2009, 9:02 PM
I've never had to ask to shoot, have always been offered. I do the same thing for others.

till44
10-25-2009, 9:25 PM
I don't mind sharing, especially if they will reciprocate. This is what usually happens in my exerience.

rainman8819
10-25-2009, 9:52 PM
There's been quite a few times I've been offered to shoot someone's rifle or pistol and vice versa. I've never had any problems with it.

Once while shooting my Socom, I had a guy offer to pay for my ammo just so he could shoot my rifle. I would've let him shoot for free, but I had just finished the last of it.

The only real problem I've ever had is when someone offers their own reloads. There's no way I'm shooting anyone's reloads in my firearms.

gemini1
10-25-2009, 10:05 PM
I was shooting my dads old Marlin 60 and this kid (10-11 years old) who was with his dad shooting a pistol. Whenever it was his dad shooting the pistol, I noticed he was watching me instead of his dad. I offered to let him shoot the rifle. Noticed the glow in his face, and after asking his dads permission, I let him shoot full load. I was actually more worried about being thought of as a DOM.

HowardW56
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't mind. I usually ask if I can shoot their guns - so it comes out even. . .

I agree....

I've been asked many times, older revolvers intrigue people...

Especially if I'm shooting one-hole groups with an old K38...

Sometimes they are the people shooting a Glock 9mm and their target looks like it was used for shotgun practice...

Flogger23m
10-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Never happened to me, but I'd only let them if I could shoot one of their guns assuming they had something I wanted to shoot.

I only bring a little bit of ammo and enough cash to pay for the range fee.

510shooter510
10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Depends who is asking. A gangsta wanna be that shows up at the range will not be shooting any of my guns. But most gun-owners are incredibly decent folks and can shoot my guns any time.
I dont think its rude at all to ask. I wont ask someone else, but I would be more than happy to let someone shoot a few rounds through mine.

rod
10-26-2009, 9:51 AM
No one ever asks me to shoot my guns. If they show an interest, I offer to let them shoot it before they have to ask. A couple of years ago, when I lived in California, I'd take my AR's out to Bee canyon. Every time, someone would get all excited about seeing a real live AR and want to know more about it. No, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to shoot my guns. Hopefully, they like it enough to go out and buy their own and continue the tradition.

Mute
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I always enjoy sharing a few rounds from my guns with anyone. What if that person is a newbie considering joining the ranks of gun owners or an anti whom a friend brought to the range? I see it as a chance to increase our political power as gun owners.

Bizcuits
10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I've never been asked by a stranger if they can shoot my gun, although maybe my facial and body language already reads "No."

Greg-Dawg
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I've never been asked by a stranger if they can shoot my gun, although maybe my facial and body language already reads "No."

Or maybe you're a bad shot?:D

CAL.BAR
10-26-2009, 1:23 PM
I do get sick of the new oll shooters at public ranges telling me that my RAW is illegal because I am using large capacity mags and don't have a bullet button.

While that hasn't happened to me yet (if you don't count unknowledgeable range staff) I take it as an opportunity for education. Teaching folks one at a time is still progress towards our goal.

rkt88edmo
10-26-2009, 1:52 PM

You haven't come up with something outraeous and silly to tell them?

"It ain't illegal when you're the presidents first cousin"
"This is a bullet button, its the newest model"
"Did you get that advice from calguns.net? I know 5 guys who have gone to jail listening to them"
"I don't live here in CA, those laws don't apply to me"
"It's ok because I'm going to sell it in TWO WEEKS"

Super Spy
10-26-2009, 2:04 PM
I've shared my guns, had other people share their guns, and made new friends out of it. I'm not easily offended, someone asking to shoot my gun wouldn't bother me. I think as long as they were polite, safe and looked and acted normally I wouldn't even think about it. If some dude came up with baggy *** pants around his knees and talked ghetto I'd give him a funny look and ignore him. fortunately I hardly see anyone like that where I shoot.

JerryM
10-26-2009, 2:33 PM
When at ranges, I'm an ambassador for the RTKBA.

I'm not Iran, I'm the U S of A dammit!!!

I even help tourists and bored girlfriends appreciate the activity.

And I love the attention (^_^).

gunsnrovers
10-26-2009, 2:39 PM
I've never been asked to shoot one of my guns directly and I've never asked anyone directly. I have asked to see a firearm after they've emptied it and that usually leads to an invitation to shoot it.I've had others ask the same of me and it usually leads to them putting a few rounds of mine down range.

I like to think I play well with others.

WeekendWarrior
10-26-2009, 3:49 PM
WWRTW

ar15barrels
10-26-2009, 7:59 PM
You haven't come up with something outraeous and silly to tell them?

I usually just show them the snake on the side.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/bushmasterlogo.jpg

If they don't know what that means, I tell them it's a registered AW and to go educate themselves on Calguns.

DSA_FAL
10-26-2009, 8:52 PM
I've been asked and have shared my guns. I don't mind it at all, especially if they're noobs. I want people to be interested in the shooting hobby.

Synergy
10-26-2009, 9:19 PM
At least half the time at the indoor and outdoor range, people have talked to me and we have shared firearms. If I want to use someones whatever and I have that caliber, I offer to use my own ammo. It usually ends with "no go ahead shoot mine". Sharing is Caring!:D

Connor P Price
10-26-2009, 9:54 PM
I've shot other peoples rifles at the range, and others have shot mine. Its all about the way it comes up in conversation, and generally if somebody offers a mag out of their rifle, its polite to offer back.

I've offered to people, but never been outright asked. I could see how it could come off as rude if somebody asked in the wrong way, but for the most part I wouldn't hesitate to share.

CSACANNONEER
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
IT would depend on how I was asked. Normally, people don't get a chance to ask before I offer though. My big complaint (and a plus for California high cap laws) is that some people won't stop pulling the trigger until the gun is empty. Yea, I'd ba a bit pissed if someone thought they could/should shoot an entire 250 round belt of .308 just to "try it".

bden
10-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I rented a Beretta at the local range a few years back. The guy next to me who had a really nice Springfield 1911 started chatting with me. He seemed like a pretty cool guy, and asked if he could shoot the Beretta. I had no problem with it (especially since it was a rental), and he insisted I shoot a mag's worth from his 1911. It worked out great except that I now really want a nice 1911 too!

As long as someone demonstrates appropriate safety/handling techniques I'd be cool with it. If they were sketchy looking or didn't chat much before asking I might not be cool with it, but otherwise I'm there to share provided you'll reciprocate. :)

JayDeeSacramento
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
People always seem interested in shooting my GSG so I've let many people shoot it. Most of my guns are uninteresting but I offer if for example one of the guys wants to try out my new handloads. I prefer people shoot them in my guns not theirs (my Dan Wesson is built like a tank). When people offer to let me shoot their guns it's great but I've never asked anyone to.

masameet
10-27-2009, 8:19 AM
One aspect regarding shooters is our generosity. For instance the other day I arrived at the local range to shoot my 1911. Usually I bring three pistols but that day decided just to concentrate shooting .45 ammo. So I zipped open the pistol rug and -- Waah! -- found my Buckmark in there.

Didn't want to run home just to get my 1911.

Fortunately some of the guys there I'd met months before. One of them let me put my .45 ammo through his H&K Elite. Another guy let me try out his 9 mm Beretta US Marine Corps pistol.

Needless to say, I think those guys are champs and will not hesitate to show reciprocity with them whenever I see them again at the range.

soldier07110
11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
No one touches my guns... No one.

Connor P Price
11-19-2009, 10:23 PM

I've touched all of your guns, shot a few of them as well. Victory is mine.

CABilly
11-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe I'm super generous. For some reason I wind up giving the shooters on each side of me some Shoot-N-See targets if they don't have their own, and if they so much as ask what I'm shooting I'll offer a mag/cylinder. I haven't yet had someone not offer to let me shoot theirs in return.

One time I my dad and I were breaking in our new Kimbers and we saw another father-son duo walking in with a Barrett .50 BMG. We hung around because, well, why not? The thing is a beast to behold and we wanted to see it in action. The guys were nice enough to let me fire a round. I offered to let 'em fire the ol' Kimber, but they weren't interested.

It's called being friendly. If you don't want to share your .460, you don't have to. But there is a certain level of assumed comraderie at the range and it seems only customary to share and share alike.

five.five-six
11-20-2009, 12:22 AM
happens all the time.... it's a friendly thing.. just a few rounds.... but yea, I don't think I have ever flat out asked... many people offer if you show interest in they're gun. I am quite honored when someone shares.. i always reciprocate... and i do have some very cool guns

I just hate it when someone shoots a better group with my gun than I can :(

nagorb
11-20-2009, 12:37 AM

How do you shoot them? or are they just wall hangers?

ar15barrels
11-20-2009, 12:45 AM
How do you shoot them? or are they just wall hangers?

HAHA, good catch!

Maybe he does not actually OWN any guns...
That's why NOBODY touches his guns.

a1c
11-20-2009, 8:27 AM
I go shooting to remote, informal ranges, and generally by myself.

I'm not handing you over a loaded gun. You can look at it, but don't play with the action, and don't dry fire it. And I'm not handing you over anything if I don't have another loaded gun at my side.

If I see you again and we become acquainted, then yes, at some point we can exchange firearms. But if you're a stranger, no way.

Same with my motorcycle. Actually, I don't even let my friends ride it. I can't count the number of times I've seen or heard of a guy dropping his friend's bike.

Soldier415
11-20-2009, 8:58 AM
I actually don't mind it and rather enjoy it. When I go to the range here in sonoma county with AKs and other evil guns, it usually leads to people coming over and asking about them.

I get to explain to them the laws regarding OLLs, let them shoot mine, refer them to CGN and CGF and meet some new people.

Last time I was at the range before I deployed, I had a 70 year old grandmother shooting my AKs. She had a blast.

five.five-six
11-20-2009, 9:55 AM
HAHA, good catch!

Maybe he does not actually OWN any guns...
That's why NOBODY touches his guns.

This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun.

just saying

Mr Wizard
11-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I've never had someone ask if they can shoot one of my firearms but if someone admires one of mine I offer to let them shoot it and I've had others do the same for me. Shooters are generally pretty generous folks. I asked a kid the other day who was admiring my 1919A6 if he wanted to do 10 rds through it. He did. It made his shooting trip that day!

There is no greater pleasure than seeing the look of amazement on their faces when I let someone shoot my beltfed for the first time. They aren't always kids either.

I personally would never ask to shoot someone else's toys, but I've been given opportunities to shoot several different types through the generosity of fellow shooters.

fearmonger
11-20-2009, 2:03 PM
If you don't want to share, just tell them no. What are they going to do... You have guns.

Turo
11-20-2009, 2:14 PM
I always figured if someone shows an interest in one of my guns at the range, it's courtesy to offer them to shoot it. And I will. If someone just straight walks up to me and asks to shoot my gun without even feigning interest, I'd be more inclined to say no. That said, I don't really have any super-interesting guns, so most people aren't very interested :p

B Strong
11-20-2009, 5:18 PM

No.

I have no issue with it unless someone came accross as either unbalanced or criminally inclined, in which case I'd get myself and my shooters out of there RFN.

I'll always take a minute to help someone, and if I can put a good face on gunowners with new shooters, it's always worth the time and effort.

Now, If I'm out shooting something evil and black, and a self-appointed expert starts in on me, that's a whole different situation. I'll make one honest effort at on-site education, but if that doesn't work, vafunculo.

Henry Hill
11-20-2009, 5:44 PM
I cant believe some of the crap in this thread :rofl2:

If you dont want anyone shooting 3$ worth of your precious ammo then say NO. I would say yes if someone asked nicely, I mean, why not? I would never ask to shoot a strangers gun but that's just me. Unless the person is asking is a complete creep thats giving you some strange vibes, I dont see a problem with being polite ;)

illuminate10
11-20-2009, 5:51 PM
I have no problem letting any one fire one of mine. I believe in karma. :)

Capt. Speirs
11-20-2009, 6:28 PM
I let them invite me to shoot there guns (and offer them mine), but I don't invite myself to shoot theirs.

missiondude
11-20-2009, 6:34 PM
I have seen the father and young son in the stall next to me with the kid droling over my 22 ar or 9mm ar. I usually ask the father if his boy wants to give it a try. Always results in one more young shooter wanting dad to get an AR or some other EBR... A few rounds never hurts the gun or wallet too much, and the goodwill it brings helps our cause...

B Strong
11-20-2009, 7:13 PM
I have seen the father and young son in the stall next to me with the kid droling over my 22 ar or 9mm ar. I usually ask the father if his boy wants to give it a try. Always results in one more young shooter wanting dad to get an AR or some other EBR... A few rounds never hurts the gun or wallet too much, and the goodwill it brings helps our cause...

Exactly.

M. Sage
11-20-2009, 7:32 PM

That's practically how I met this guy! "Nice Mosin." "Nice Mauser." "Wanna shoot it?" We trade for a few minutes and then shoot the bull.

So no, I don't mind when strangers want to shoot my guns. I'm usually nice enough to offer to let them before they ask if I can tell they want to, and I always reciprocate when someone offers to let me shoot theirs.

Clayface
11-20-2009, 7:49 PM
Well don't get me wrong I am not a complete jerk, if somone starts asking me questions like what caliber it is, or you know small talk I am generoud and do OFFER to blast a round off of the .460 I don't mind, especially when hot girls look on in awe.

Turbinator
11-21-2009, 11:26 AM
While I certainly appreciate the overflowing generosity shown in this thread, I'm going to go against the grain and say that generally, I don't shoot other people's guns and usually other people don't ask to shoot mine. I do share - but among friends. When I'm out in public with strangers, I tend to mostly keep to myself unless a conversation strikes up, and even then, there aren't many guns out there I'm interested in shooting except my own. No one seems particularly interested in shooting my run of the mill guns, either.

Turby