PDA

View Full Version : FFL Charge fee's to recieve firearm?

Gofasterdammit
10-24-2009, 9:31 PM
Quick question: If I wanted to buy a firearm from Gun Broker or another vendor, and when that firearm is shipped to a local FFL, is it common for the FFL to charge a fee? If so, what's the average? Every fire arm I've bought has been in stock so I've never ran into this before. Thanks.

troysland
10-24-2009, 9:39 PM
The average used to be about $50. Nowadays, it can be between $75-100. So yes, it is common. These are costs to consider when purchasing from gunbroker, or any other vendor within your state of residence (or out of state for that matter). Best bet is to see if your local FFL can get what you want from a distributor or manufacturer. If it's a rare or must have item, then it might be worth the extra acceptance fee.

bruceflinch
10-24-2009, 9:48 PM
Another thing to consider is the sales tax. Most FFL's charge you the sales tax, but I believe that is not necessarily correct.

I see a lot more bargains here on CalGuns, than the regular web auction sites. But the search is a lot more tedious!

Eroland7
10-24-2009, 9:56 PM
The one i use in santa clara i believe charges $65 which includes the DROS. So the fee would be $40. And thats considered pretty good.

seanbo
10-24-2009, 9:58 PM
Gunbroker is cool, but you can most likely find what ever you want here. After shipping and FFL fees you are going to be out like $125-$150. try to find it on CalGuns and do a person to person for a $35 fee. If it's a c&r you could do a cash and carry. I once too got my guns from Gunbroker, but now I can keep that cash.:)

Gofasterdammit
10-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I called the store today and asked them what they had in stock, and I mentioned that a certain out of state vendor was selling them $250 cheaper. He followed up with a $120 fee to receive the rifle, $25 DROS, and I had to pay sales tax, putting it close to their price.

seanbo
10-24-2009, 10:04 PM
shop around here and you will find it. I think I've seen every gun I have wanted here, except a 60. cal gattling gun. I got to get one some day!

Dr Rockso
10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I called the store today and asked them what they had in stock, and I mentioned that a certain out of state vendor was selling them $250 cheaper. He followed up with a $120 fee to receive the rifle, $25 DROS, and I had to pay sales tax, putting it close to their price.
Well that is a high transfer fee, but you can't really blame him for not wanting to undercut himself. Some FFLs will charge sales tax on out of state transfers, some won't. For most it depends on whether the state has specifically told them to (personally I don't see the justification for the state to force the FFL to collect that tax, as the transaction for the gun itself is not handled with the FFL). In most situations you'll save less than you'd think if you buy it online versus in the gun store due to the shipping and transfer fee.

ar15barrels
10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
List of transfer dealers and their fees:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63050

USMG
10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
We charge $25-50 depending on whats involved, but that's here in AZ at my company and no DROS fees. You guys in CA have a bit more paperwork, the waiting period, and the DROS $25 fee to deal with. There should not be any sales tax charged other than possibly sales tax on the transfer fee itself. If you bought the gun on line which most people do for a transfer, you already paid for it, out of state. There should be no reason to charge sales tax on that. Contact your local FFL and get the deal squared up front.

Dr Rockso
10-24-2009, 10:59 PM
There should not be any sales tax charged other than possibly sales tax on the transfer fee itself. If you bought the gun on line which most people do for a transfer, you already paid for it, out of state. There should be no reason to charge sales tax on that.
That is probably true, but the state has told some FFLs here in CA that they are responsible for collecting the sales/use tax on out of state transfers. They don't really have much choice; risk loosing their ability to do business in CA or just collect the tax. While it's not commonly known or followed, buyers making any purchases out of state or online are responsible for paying the use tax.