PDA

View Full Version : Bose...

samuraishot
10-24-2009, 7:24 PM
I don't know if it's just me not going to the range much, but I stopped by target masters today and saw this chick about to enter the range with Bose noise cancelling headphones as her muffs. That's pretty blingy if you know what I mean. Has anyone else encountered that? Or have you tried it? If so, does it really work?

SJgunguy24
10-24-2009, 7:35 PM
50 cent squishys for me. Those are pretty expensive to take to the range.

a1c
10-24-2009, 8:32 PM
I don't know if it's just me not going to the range much, but I stopped by target masters today and saw this chick about to enter the range with Bose noise cancelling headphones as her muffs. That's pretty blingy if you know what I mean. Has anyone else encountered that? Or have you tried it? If so, does it really work?

I'll have to try that. I use $16 Peltors, but I also own one of those Bose QC2 headsets. Been thinking of trying them out while shooting, but I always reasoned that they can't be very good for that because: 1. they're not tight enough around your ears, and 2. they are more efficient at canceling constant background noises like engines.

But hey, haven't tried yet.

bruceflinch
10-24-2009, 8:51 PM
Was she Hot?
Pics or it didn't happen.
IBTL

Think that about covers it...:D

Clayface
10-24-2009, 8:54 PM
Those bose headphones are for drowning out crowds,engines and maybe your mother-in-law,but I don't see it as smart option in trying to protect your hearing.

Dr Rockso
10-24-2009, 9:14 PM
The ones I've seen really aren't made to seal noise out. Maybe the aviation type ones would be okay, since they look like they'd make a decent seal around your ears. On the other hand the boom mic would look a little out of place.

Technical Ted
10-24-2009, 9:20 PM
FAIL

unusedusername
10-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I doubt that would work very well...

They are not designed to reduce sound very much. Bose does not even advertise a DB rating for the sound reduction (not one that I can find anyways).

Also, they depend on the batteries working in order to generate their "anti-noise" that reduces noise and the batteries in these things fail suddenly when they read end-of-life (instead of fading out like they would in a flashlight). It would be really bad if the batteries went out during a shooting session...

hellraiser
10-25-2009, 12:04 AM
maybe she was wearin squishys inside the headphones and was blasting some tunes???

Rem1492
10-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Peltor makes noise cancelling models. Some TAC models.

They work great and yes, when the battery goes dead, they are not as effective as a straight up headset.

If you have the money to spend on them, go for it. Mine are used on an outdoor range, an indoor range will have different acoustics but I am sure it will work the same.

They are great because we can all talk to each other and I can hear the radio playing in the background, then it goes quiet when a shot goes off.

Technical Ted
10-25-2009, 2:20 AM
Peltor makes noise cancelling models. Some TAC models.
"Noise CANCELLATION" is a the new marketing buzzword.

Bose's "anti-noise" technology is something known as phase cancellation.

While Peltor does make some "noise cancellation" communications products, what they are referring to is a phase cancellation circuit built into a microphone receiver that is connected to a radio so that the remote listener can hear what the wearer says.

This shouldn't be confused with electronic muffs which mount small microphones with amplifier circuits designed to compress or cut-off ambient noise when it gets too loud.

JMacRevo
10-25-2009, 5:25 PM
Please DO NOT try this. You will be sorely disappointed! They will not protect your hearing at all. They only phase cancel out constant low hums like the engines of an aircraft. They do nothing for impulse noises like a gunshot.

devilinblack
10-25-2009, 6:53 PM
Yeah, sounds like a horrible idea.

On the other hand, I bought a pair of the electronic earmuffs from Harbor Freight for $15 (before my 20% off coupon) and love them. The sound quality from the microphone/speaker is not great, but they do a good job of blocking the noise from the range.