PDA

View Full Version : Pre primed brass preperation?

Afterburnt
10-24-2009, 3:48 PM
I have a bunch of pre primed handgun brass that I bought from Midway ages ago, didnt even know that I had it. Does anyone know what is needed to prep this brass for loading?

Donkey shame in advance

tamalpias
10-24-2009, 3:51 PM
If they are brand new then I would tumble them (optional if they look tarnished), full length resize them, check overall length to make sure they are within specs, trim if necessary, debur the inside, and prime them. The rest you know.

Afterburnt
10-24-2009, 4:00 PM
If they are brand new then I would tumble them (optional if they look tarnished), full length resize them, check overall length to make sure they are within specs, trim if necessary, debur the inside, and prime them. The rest you know.

They were bought brand new and already primed, Midway used to sell pre primed brass, I guess they no longer do. I have never worked with new brass that already has primers so I dont imagine that they need to be sized or deburred. I want to use them in a Dillon progressive just because I am lazy but will probably single stage them because I dont want to take apart my tool head set ups.

tamalpias
10-24-2009, 4:05 PM
i'd do some measurements with a good caliper set first just to make sure theya re not out of concentricity during the shipping and handling of the brass, also check for the overall length just in case and if they all measure up then I would say start measuring out powder and load them.

joelogic
10-24-2009, 4:21 PM
You can pull the decapping pin and size if you want. How old are they and were they stored properly? You want the primers to go bang. Why check length? It is a pistol round.

Afterburnt
10-24-2009, 7:12 PM
Old? These could be getting close to ten years old by now however they sat in a root cellar in the desert for most of that time, cool dry and stable temps, same with the primers that I am using now (no ignition problems with them). I totally forgot about all the brass mostly new and single fired that I had cleaned and boxed up and stored along with brand new stuff. I have found twice fired cases from when I first started reloading many years ago. I have been loading range brass for years. Man I would hate to load he stuff and find out that it wont ignite. I found stuff from when I first started reloading at least 20 years ago, boxed and labeled! If I had a dime for all that stuff I would be way ahead. I stored that stuff when I moved and forgot about it. I have only reloaded stuff hot out of the chamber. I am like the brass king, never left an empty round behind. I am buried in brass maybe I need to move up from my 550B just to catch up?

anyracoon
10-25-2009, 6:20 AM
Pick a few out at random and fire them with no bullet or powder charge. If they all go bang I would think you are good to go. Check to see if any have corrosion on them which would mean that they got to damp.

bruceflinch
10-25-2009, 6:35 AM
Pick a few out at random and fire them with no bullet or powder charge. If they all go bang I would think you are good to go. Check to see if any have corrosion on them which would mean that they got to damp.

^ This to start with. Just unscrew the sizing die out of the tool head. It's the easiest one to adjust.

Or send them to me, I'll test them all for you! :D

tango5
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
They should be ready to go since they are already primed. Throw a mic on them and check their length and specs before you powder and seat.