PDA

View Full Version : New Vacaville Range - Center Mass

tygerpaw
10-24-2009, 3:28 PM
I just stopped in at Center Mass, which is in the space that used to be The Shooting Gallery. Nice guys. They dont have a lot of stock right now, but they can get whatever you want. They are OLL friendly, though he did say that they wont be displaying OLL stuff. The next time I need somehting, I'll give them a try.

Hornet_RN
10-24-2009, 3:42 PM
hey guys,

i shot my hk usp 9mm there a few days ago, the owner was a good guy and the prices are cheaper than guns, fishing and other stuff!!!

also, since i was there for only half an hour, the owner only charged me for HALF price!?!?!? (it's 8 bucks for a full hour, hence 4 bucks for the half he charged me) i also bought 3 targets for 2 bucks.

they also have two sets of shooting lanes. one goes to 17 yrds, the other goes to 25 yrds.

it looks like i'll never return to guns, fishing, other stuff...heh.

http://centermassshooting.com/

Ding126
10-24-2009, 4:55 PM
Guns, fishing is way way over priced and the majority of people are rude. Not OLL friendly. I would rather drive to the bay area or sacramento.

Requiem
11-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I just went to Center Mass the other day looking for a possible job. The owner was very nice and inviting. They do need business though. I hope more people come to them instead of guns, fishing, other stuff.

RobG
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I just went to Center Mass the other day looking for a possible job. The owner was very nice and inviting. They do need business though. I hope more people come to them instead of guns, fishing, other stuff.

Then they better get the word out any, and every, way they can because their location sucks. GFOS is hugely visible from 80. CM is tucked away in an industrial complex.

The right
11-20-2009, 3:33 PM
Vacaville needs a rifle range

Hunter4life1990
11-20-2009, 5:16 PM
Guns, fishing is way way over priced and the majority of people are rude. Not OLL friendly. I would rather drive to the bay area or sacramento.

when was the last time you were actually in GFOS? they are very oll friendly now

RobG
11-20-2009, 6:56 PM
Vacaville needs a rifle range

Yolo Sportsman, 15 min outside Vacaville

Woodland, CA 95695
Hours
Winter hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 9 am-5 pm
Summer hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 9 am-7 pm
Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day
Phone (530)662-2349

Annual Membership $40 Single, $50 Family + Daily use fees. With additional fees for non-members. Daily use fees for the rifle and pistol ranges are $7.00 without membership, and $2.00 with membership. The fee includes two cardboard targets. YSA also offers ear plugs (ear protection required) in the clubhouse for $0.50.

Membership isn't required to use their ranges. They have 10 yard handgun, 25 yard handgun/rifle, 50 yard rifle, and 100 yard rifle ranges, 2 trap/skeet ranges, and a sporting clays range. A string of trap (25 clays) for non-members is $2.50-$3. Rifle range is $7 (again non-members), unlimited use, targets included. Bring your own guns, and ammo. These fees are slightly smaller if you're a member. On the weekends (Saturday/Sunday), you can usually get one of the kids to pull trap for you (you know... sit behind you and press the button when you say "Pull!")

They sell cheap eyegear if you forget to bring your own.

Range Rules (copied from a flyer you can pick up from them):

RIFLE AND PISTOL RANGE SAFETY RULES

Our Range Safety Rules are for your personal safety and also the safety, peace and tranquility of those living in the vicinity. Please read and heed the following safety rules:
Deviation from these rules shall result in immediate removal from the facility and possible dismissal from YSA Membership.
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO KNOW ALL RULES & COMMANDS BEFORE SHOOTING.
"Shooters" will cooperatively carry out the range firing instructions when Range Officer is not immediately present.
ALL SHOOTERS MUST SIGN IN BEFORE SHOOTING:

1.Carry firearms unloaded, actions open, fingers off the trigger, and muzzles up.

2.EAR AND EYE PROTECTION IS REQUIRED on all ranges.

3.A WHISTLE BLOWN means stop shooting immediately.

4.After firing or when CLEAR YOUR FIREARMS is called, all shooters will make their guns safe by emptying the magazine of all ammunition, locking the action open, and placing the gun on the table with the muzzle pointed down range, chambers visible for inspection; then step behind the yellow line.

5.When SAFE ON THE LINE is called, all persons wishing to go down range may do so. Those people not going down range shall remain behind the yellow line and will not handle anything on the benches.

6.CLEAR TO FIRE shall be called before anyone steps over the yellow line, goes toward the benches and commences firing. At this time you may add or remove firearms.

7.All firearms shall be racked when not in use with actions open. Muzzleloaders shall not be capped or primed until ready to fire.

8.Only single trigger-pull firing allowed. NO RAPID-FIRE, NO UNAIMED SHOOTING, NO SHOOTING FROM HOLSTERS: SHOTGUNS WITH RIFLE SLUGS ONLY.

9.Shoot at approved targets in the frame with your position number.

10.Shoot stations shall be left neat, cardboard will be returned to the office or target boxes.

11.Club Officers, Range Officers and Managers shall have absolute control of the facility.

12.Illegal firearms are NOT permitted.

13.No person who is obviously under the influence of alcohol or other substance will be allowed to shoot. No alcoholic beverages of any kind will be allowed at anytime inside the fences fronting the ranges. IF YOU DRINK YOU DON'T SHOOT.

14.YSA policy requires knowledge of the English language in order to read the YSA Range Safety Rules. If shooter cannot read or speak the English language the shooter must provide an interpreter.

15.No person under 18-years of age may shoot on YSA ranges unless accompanied by and under direct supervision of an adult.

16.No targets shall be used on the rifle and pistol ranges that are larger than YSA cardboard. Do not use more than one target per frame. Do not use more than one frame per shooter.

17.No targets are to be nailed, stapled or otherwise permanently attached to the target frames.

18.Spent lead shall not be removed from the backstop elements.

19.Before using a chronograph, be sure the bullet impact will always be in the embankments.

20.No persons shall be allowed behind the embankments or anywhere near the bullet embankment areas during firing.

21.The ranges will be closed to all persons except contestants during YSA designated events.

22.All pets shall be on leashes at all times.

23.YSA will not be responsible for lost or stolen items on club property.

24.No deviations from these rules shall be allowed without prior authorization from the YSA Board of Directors.

25.WE RECOMMEND no eating, drinking, or smoking while shooting. PLEASE WASH hands after shooting.

jasilva
11-21-2009, 5:20 PM
when was the last time you were actually in GFOS? they are very oll friendly now

They may be friendly to OLLs but they're dickheads to their customers.

jasilva
11-21-2009, 5:21 PM
Just stopped by Center Mass a little while ago to do a PPT. Smooth, easy and very friendly transaction. Talked to the owner for a bit, nice guy and his pricing seems very fair on firearms and range time. I'll be going back for any shooting needs they can meet.

fourdoorchevelle
11-21-2009, 8:48 PM
Center Mass I can confirm is OLL friendly. Had my Saiga sent there. Ed is a very nice guy, think he was just as excited to open the case as I was , as he couldn't wait and had to check it out.

cdtx2001
11-23-2009, 8:52 PM
I just stopped in Center Mass to check it out. Not too much in the way of selection but I understand how new businesses are. The 2 guys I talked to seemed to be very helpful and willing to obtain whatever I may need. Super cool place. I asked how much their DROS fees were and they said $70. Sounds pretty reasonable and nice knowing there's a nearby place.

In my opinion, GFOS sucks and I vow never to back there again!!!!

cortayack
11-23-2009, 9:43 PM
I have shot there twice, including today! Never seems very busy tho...I had the whole room to myself. (But it was a mid-afternoon Monday)...I still got to go to GFOS for primes......

norcal77
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I just stopped in Center Mass to check it out. Not too much in the way of selection but I understand how new businesses are. The 2 guys I talked to seemed to be very helpful and willing to obtain whatever I may need. Super cool place. I asked how much their DROS fees were and they said $70. Sounds pretty reasonable and nice knowing there's a nearby place.

In my opinion, GFOS sucks and I vow never to back there again!!!!

$70?...for a PPT sale?..or for an out of state item shipped to them?

And yes...GFOS sucks and unless I hear that owners changed or something I'll never go back to that store again.

wolf13
11-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Good to know that there is a new place to compete (hopefully) with GFOS. I gave that place 3 tries, and will never be back. Never have had a good experience with them, and always get treated like ****.

Rental guns available?

cdtx2001
11-24-2009, 6:02 AM
$70?...for a PPT sale?..or for an out of state item shipped to them?

And yes...GFOS sucks and unless I hear that owners changed or something I'll never go back to that store again.

Sorry, for something shipped to them. Most other places seem to charge about $100. Didn't ask what PPT cost, but I would think a little less.

SgtDinosaur
11-24-2009, 9:51 AM
PPT costs $70. I know because I did one there recently. They tack on a $35 "transfer fee".

RobG
11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
PPT costs $70. I know because I did one there recently. They tack on a $35 "transfer fee".

Really? PPT, as in both of you guys there, not an out of state thing? If so, they need some schooling on the law.

I stopped by the other night and spoke to the owner and his wife. Both were very pleasant. The owner is a chief at a local fire dept. and the wife sports a HUGE diamond on her finger:eek:

They seemed genuinely interested in how I found them and that if I wanted anything, that they could order it.

Hornet_RN
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
i've usually been going there once a week in the mornings, the day shift clerk there, Joe is a good guy too. i haven't shot at GFOS since.

gotgunz
11-24-2009, 1:37 PM

Really? PPT, as in both of you guys there, not an out of state thing? If so, they need some schooling on the law.

We were both there and I can say that I won't be back; especially after calling first and asking about the PPT then being surprised with the added 'fee'.

gotgunz
11-25-2009, 2:35 PM
Well I guess that puts this thread to an end....

RobG
11-25-2009, 5:22 PM
Well I guess that puts this thread to an end....

Your experience does leave a "sour taste", doesn't it?

Too bad really...

Uncle Jess
11-25-2009, 11:12 PM
I'll have to stop by and check them out. I miss the old shooting gallery.

jkast003
12-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I went here a few days ago and had a good time. No one else was there so I had C range(I think that's what they called it) all to myself. The folks there were really nice to me. I will go here from now on when I'm in Vacaville.

Mickey D
12-06-2009, 1:30 PM
If I recall, a face to face PPT should not be more than $35, by law.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#17G

Q/A 18

What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?
If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:

For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.
(PC section 12082)

Steyrlp10
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
I noticed an ad in the Times Herald yesterday, announcing's Center Mass's Shooting Club for Women. At first, I was all excited until I noticed the little blurb about the hours of 11 AM to 12 Noon.

I suppose there are women who don't have to work at that time, but I'm not one of them. It just seemed like an odd time frame.

Nuuze
01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Was at Center Mass today for the first time since Shooting Gallery closed with my nephew window shopping for his first gun and 600 rounds down range. And I must say it was a great expirience compared to GFOS. VERY friendly service and no hassles and rube comments. Although a little further from were we live in Fairfield, we will be taking our business there from now on rather than the other place. :)

Steyrlp10
01-23-2010, 7:13 PM
This morning, I introduced one of my GFs to Center Mass after she tried Guns & Fishing a couple of times in the past. Since she's a beginning shooter, I mentioned that she might like the low-key atmosphere at Center Mass where she would be able to actually hear me talk to her about grip, stance, and breathing.

The young guy working the counter was a real sweetheart. She is thinking of buying a gun for herself, so he had two Glocks in the 9MM that she could try. Seeing that we were two girls, he made sure we had a section of the range to ourselves and didn't harp on the exact time we spent in there. He could see that I was trying to show her how to handle the gun safely and be able to clear a stove pipe.

I let her shoot my Colt 1911 to give her something to compare the 9MM to. My Colt is chambered for .38 Specials and didn't have much recoil for her. Her only comment was that the Colt is heavier, so I made her laugh when I explained that the Glock is made of polymer for a reason.

By her second target, she had sent three rounds into the 10-ring. I think the shop has earned itself another regular customer. :)

doc1buc
01-23-2010, 7:28 PM
I went in there again last night, these guys are awesome. I dealt with the lady, shop owner?, and had another great experience. The offer NRA classes and such there so I am thinking if they ever get more stock or reloading gear in, GFOS is dead. I will dance on that grave.
Regarding there "no brass pick up", it states that if it is forward of the firing line. To get forward of that line, you are actually CLIMBING over the barrier. I asked the clerk, joe, about picking up my brass behing the line and it was no issue. Again, these guys are really nice to do business with.

CalNRA
01-24-2010, 5:08 AM
arg, I just drove by Vacaville today. Had I read this thread yeasterday I would have gone there for some supplies. Next time.

OTOH I was driving on I-80 with the missus and she was like "Oh look a gun shop", I was all excited to find a shop just off the freeway but then I saw the sign for GFOS. I told her never mind and we kept on driving.

Jon S.
01-28-2010, 10:39 PM
The folks/staff at Center Mass is awesome with outstanding customer service. They have great range pricing and reasonable merchadise pricing as well. I'll be giving them my business, unlike GFOS(poor customer service).

land locked
02-19-2010, 1:49 PM
went there today for some shooting today. Friendly low stress environment .I actually had a good time for someone who hasnt been to an indoor range in 10 years or so.