PDA

View Full Version : borrowing rifle

Double_D
10-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Is it legal for me to let someone borrow one of my rifles? Can't this be considered buying a firearm for another individual? What if it is my immediate family such as my brother?

Dr Rockso
10-24-2009, 12:04 AM
It is legal so long as they are not a prohibited person. For handguns the borrower needs to have a valid HSC, for rifles and shotguns nothing special is required.

bwiese
10-24-2009, 12:35 AM
12078(d) allows "infrequent loans" of firearms under these conditions:

The loan must be...
- for lawful purposes,
- to a nonprohibited person,
- cannot be an AW (reg'd, or otherwise - duh)
- infrequent [undefined here, elsewhere max 6X/year]
- max duration up to 30 days
- if a handgun, borrower must hold a valid HSC (Handgun Safety Cert).

Brianguy
10-24-2009, 1:41 AM
Is it legal for me to let someone borrow one of my rifles? Can't this be considered buying a firearm for another individual? What if it is my immediate family such as my brother?

What rifle you gonna let me borrow? when can i pick it up? :D

B Strong
10-24-2009, 6:51 AM
Bill nailed it.

Loaning a friend a firearm (long gun) during hunting season isn't going to ring any bells.

Loaning a friend a handgun, make sure he/she has an HSC and that he/she isn't going to use the firearm in an unlawful manner, you're gtg.

Giving a gunsmith an NFA firearm to "repair," and not getting it back for a couple of years, you might have a problem...

The above is a real incident. It seems as if a certain individual "helped" out a gunsmith friend who wanted a TSMG and couldn't afford it - the individual w/ the transferable TSMG had more than one and in any case, wouldn't miss it, the gunsmith was a good straight guy, what could go wrong?

This is just the one incident that I know of - evidently such things have gone on enough that it has come up on the radar of ATF, and if an NFA weapon is transferred to a gunsmith for repair or modification, it must be returned to the lawful owner "in a timely manner." What's "timely?" I don't know and I don't think ATF does either, but I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the gunsmith or the registered owner if the ATF had a wild hair.

Double_D
10-24-2009, 7:50 AM
thanks guys this really helped out a lot

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Need a Mosin? :43:

Amacias805
10-24-2009, 11:32 AM
i believe if you need to borrow the firearm more than 30 days than you have to dros it as a loaned firearms

forgiven
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Laws, laws, and more stinking laws. Makes me want to :puke: Man, I miss the days of just loaning a buddy a rifle and not having to worry about it.:mad:

floogy
10-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Bear in mind for those who lend out firearms. Not to say you don't trust the person you lend it to, but... Do you trust their friends? Or their friend's friends? It could be possible to be civilly liable for an accident with your gun. An unlikely occurrence but one to keep in mind if you ever are going to lend to anyone. So, even if you aren't concerned about the gun itself be aware of who might have access to it while it is out of your possession.