PDA

View Full Version : Sac County Sheriff candidate Bret Daniels

fullrearview
10-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Here is a conversation on facebook between me and a candidate running for Sac Co Sheriff. He contacted me asking for support, so like any other calgunner, I asked a few questions.

Here is the link to his page. If any one wants me to ask anything else that is relevant to our cause, let me know!
Edit: he is also a member of oath keepers on Facebook!

Bret Daniels October 17 at 11:51pm
Hi Josh,
Don't believe we've actually met but we have several Mutual Friends including xxxxxxx xxxxxxx. I am building a network of Sacramento area people to inform them about my candidacy for Sheriff of Sacramento County. Hopefully you will add me as this is an extremely important issue for anyone living or working in Sacramento County. I promise not to overload you with info.

Bret Daniels

Josh xxxxx October 18 at 12:44am
Hello Mr. Daniels,

I apologize for not addressing you by rank but being that I am new to the department and we have not met I am sure you understand. I have no problem adding you as a friend on facebook, and I will when I am finished typing this. Do not worry about information overload. The right information is power. That being said, I have a few questions for you.

I am an active member of calguns.net. As you may be aware calguns.net is a growing organization and is currently involved in the legal case Sykes v. McGinness.

What is your stance on the issuance of CCW's to any person that has completed and passed the requirements?

In the past, CCW's have been issued to LEO's, such as myself or political "friends" of our elected officials.

What will you do to help Law Abiding Citizens exercise their right to protect themselves and their loved ones?

Being a deputy sheriff on call, and also a 2nd amendment activist, I have been exposed to numerous law enforcement officers, in our department alone, that are not informed properly on weapons violations. Some officers go as far to think that ALL weapons are registered nationally, and if you do not have the proper paperwork, it will be confiscated. Some even think that ANY weapon resembling an AR-15 or AK-47 are illegal, without even knowing what defines an "assault rifle". What will you do to make sure we enforce the law properly?

Working at RCCC, I often ask inmates what gun control laws do to prevent them from buying firearms. They ALL laugh and state that it makes it easier for them to rob citizens since they know they know the citizens are going to be the only ones following them.

What will you do to show our elected officials that laws such as the assault weapons ban do nothing but make it easier for criminals to get their hands on weapons?

Finally, our department is going through a very tough time right now. We have laid off deputies and there are thoughts of more possibly in the next few months.

What will you do to prevent this from happening?

I know there is a lot of stupid games the county plays, like renting county buildings to county agencies and taking it from their budget, but there is also games that our department plays as well. Right now there are many on call deputies that are willing to come in and work any shift, but our Sgt.'s are being told they have to call in full time deputies on overtime to fill the vacancies for the shift.

Isn't that one of the reasons why we are in this mess?

I know there may be some union issues there, but to me it seems like someone is trying to make it look like we need a bigger budget.

There are solutions but it seems it is easier to do nothing that to do the right thing.

I know I have no political power in our department, and I know this email could burn some bridges in the future but, my main concern is for our fellow officers to be able to keep food on the table and for our citizens to be safe.

If you have not checked it out, please go to calguns.net.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Josh xxxxx

Bret Daniels October 18 at 9:35am
Hi Josh,
Thanks for your great response. I wish everybody or even just a good chunk of folks cared as much as you obviously do. First, let me say I don't have all the answers and I'm not the second coming of Christ so my ego isn't in that place you see with others who will feed you with bull**** political answers. Essentially, I am a very practical person with a long law enforcement, political and business background that thinks its time (and has been for quite awhile) to reinvent the SSD.
I'm not currently with the department having left in 2000 (terminated by King Louie after running against him and losing...he didn't like me much) so the best way to address me is just Bret.
My goal with SSD is to treat it like a business and get back to serving its customers, the taxpayers of Sac Co. There is so much waste starting with the bloated management structure. I will reorganize the dept into a much more efficiently run organization with far fewer managers and a significant increase in patrol functions. I will regionalize efforts such as aero. I will remove the subjective approach to promotions that has resulted in too many incompetent people supervising/managing the troops. There is much more to do that you will learn as you stay informed.
I was a city council member in Citrus Hts from 1999-2005 and one of the first things I did after taking office was hold a 2nd Amendment forum. I tried to move my city towards a more "shall issue" issue policy on CCW's but they were pathetic. Even the other cop we had on the council was spineless. I have a long history of support for CCW and related issues and not just the rhetoric that you hear and will hear from the other candidates along the line of "I will likely be more permissive than the current Sheriff". That's exactly what McGinness said previously. Check my earlier posting regarding my radio interview with Eric Hogue. Essentially, I firmly believe that an armed society is a safe society.
I have spent the last 9 yrs working for the department of Homeland Security and the private sector in mid- and upper-mangement positions so I have developed the real-world experience that is necessary to get it done.
I heard yesterday that 9 additional patrol positions will be cut...but i didn't hear that even one management position will go. Unbelievable.

Bret

Uriah02
10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the info, I know who I want to vote for.

fullrearview
10-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info, I know who I want to vote for.

I know Cooper is a favorite but I have no idea where he stands on 2a. Here is the link to him facebook.....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/bret.daniels?ref=nf

DarkHorse
10-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Good job on asking important, and often overlooked, questions.

I'm eager to hear more from this candidate.

JayDeeSacramento
10-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for sharing this...perhaps fourth time will be the charm for Bret.

fullrearview
10-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for sharing this...perhaps fourth time will be the charm for Bret.

Hey, we have proven to be a strong political force here on calguns, why not use it to get behind someone who has a record of pro 2A???

fullrearview
10-23-2009, 11:54 PM
P.S.

Sorry it took a few days to post....We had a baby on Tuesday and it slipped my mind until know.

tiki
10-24-2009, 4:58 AM
Can someone PM me with an email address for Bret?
I don't have a facebook account and don't want to start one.
I think it may be time to get involved and help a good candidate.
I don't have a facebook account and don't want to start one. I did Myspace a few years ago and I got tired of ex-girlfriends contacting me.

Regulus
10-24-2009, 6:33 AM
I'm seeing a trend (San Diego, Orange and now Sac County) with candidates for Sheriff running on a pro CCW, pro 2nd Amendment platform. It's good to see that this issue is coming to light in many traditionally anti-gun counties here in California.
Looks like our message is being heard. Let's do what we can to support these candidates and perhaps we can make this a shall issue state on our own.

fullrearview
10-24-2009, 7:33 AM
Can someone PM me with an email address for Bret?
I don't have a facebook account and don't want to start one.
I think it may be time to get involved and help a good candidate.
I don't have a facebook account and don't want to start one. I did Myspace a few years ago and I got tired of ex-girlfriends contacting me.

I will see what I can do.

fullrearview
10-24-2009, 7:37 AM
This is off his facebook info page.

bret_d99@yahoo.com

thebronze
10-24-2009, 2:23 PM
I'm not currently with the department having left in 2000 (terminated by King Louie after running against him and losing...he didn't like me much) so the best way to address me is just Bret.

Bret Daniels didn't get fired from SSD because he ran against Lou Blanas.

He got fired because he had another cop (in AZ) look up an ex-girlfriend (that he probably wanted to stalk) and then lied about it.

That's why he got fired.

I like his stance on 2A issues, but we don't need another ethically-challenged person as Sheriff of Sacramento County.

I won't be voting for him.

fullrearview
10-24-2009, 3:14 PM
Bret Daniels didn't get fired from SSD because he ran against Lou Blanas.

He got fired because he had another cop (in AZ) look up an ex-girlfriend (that he probably wanted to stalk) and then lied about it.

That's why he got fired.

I like his stance on 2A issues, but we don't need another ethically-challenged person as Sheriff of Sacramento County.

I won't be voting for him.

Well, maybe now would be a good time to ask him about the details of this.

thebronze
10-24-2009, 5:07 PM
Well, maybe now would be a good time to ask him about the details of this.

He'll probably come up with some BS excuse or deny it.

BTW, I was an On-Call with SSD just before he got fired.

fullrearview
10-24-2009, 5:14 PM
I figured you were in the department somehow....what was the deal?

not-fishing
10-24-2009, 6:22 PM
You know after 55 years of living in Sac, I'm not so concerned with Deputy's girlfriends. I would expect he got fired for lying about his shenanigans.

I've had enough experience with the local Government that I know he's just the one who got caught and made an example of. You see I've had local government officials STEAL $ 500,000 from the company I work for to coverup their ineptitude in the name of "Public Trust" Yeah you could Sue them and after spending 3 years fighting in Court and spending $250,000 you may win enough to cover your Attorney's fee if your lucky

I'm more interested if Brett will be good for the Rank and File and if he'll approve CCW's in a "shall issue" format.

Because I know that when seconds count........

thebronze
10-24-2009, 6:34 PM
I figured you were in the department somehow....what was the deal?

I'm going on what my memory of the situation was at the time.

The comments on this Bee article cover it pretty well.

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2233531.html

fullrearview
10-24-2009, 8:26 PM
I'm going on what my memory of the situation was at the time.

The comments on this Bee article cover it pretty well.

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2233531.html

ehhh...most of the negative comments came from one person, the rest had to do with his current job. I don't know a whole lot about anyone running, but having experience in more than just law enforcement is a good thing.

I can tell you, just the short time I have been with the department, there are a lot of politics there. Like I stated in my message to him....they are calling in full time tenured deputies to work overtime when there are hundreds of on-calls ready and willing to work. They hire On-Calls to save money on overtime, health benefits and such....Well...why aren't we using them?

Whatever happens, I hope they can save every ones job.... There are a lot of good people in the department and they deserve better than what is going on right now. Who ever is in there, I hope they can clean things up, honor the 2A, and provide better service.

thebronze
10-24-2009, 8:34 PM
ehhh...most of the negative comments came from one person, the rest had to do with his current job. I don't know a whole lot about anyone running, but having experience in more than just law enforcement is a good thing.

I can tell you, just the short time I have been with the department, there are a lot of politics there. Like I stated in my message to him....they are calling in full time tenured deputies to work overtime when there are hundreds of on-calls ready and willing to work. They hire On-Calls to save money on overtime, health benefits and such....Well...why aren't we using them?

Whatever happens, I hope they can save every ones job.... There are a lot of good people in the department and they deserve better than what is going on right now. Who ever is in there, I hope they can clean things up, honor the 2A, and provide better service.

That's true, but Bret Daniels isn't that person.

But then again, neither is Coop or Jones.

Of the three, I'd hold my nose and and vote for Coop, but his off-duty-morals bother me a bit.

To add: Yes the comments may be from one person (I think it was more than one though), they're reflective (and accurate) of how I remember what happened. And no, I didn't write them.

alex00
10-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I would be curious to know why Daniels was never Mayor of Citrus Heights. The way I understood it, all the other Council Members got their "turn". His alleged involvement in asking the Campus PD officer to allegedly commit a felony to find his ex GF makes me question his character. It's one thing to break the rules, but to involve a cop you just met? Sure it takes two to tango and there are three sides to every story.

He may have a plan to decrease management, and increase patrol functions, but I would like to know exactly how he plans to do it given the large percentage of State funded programs and contract positions in the Sheriff's Department. Patrol is such a small percentage of the budget that he doesn't have much room to move. His ideas to reorganize the Department make me question whether he truly understands the day to day operations of such a large Department. I don't think that the Sheriff of Sacramento County should be learning as he goes.

I don't get to vote, so my opinion of who the Sheriff should be doesn't matter. Since we know where he stands on 2A issues, I think you need to press him harder on his plans for change in the Department, and how he plans to battle the likes of Schutten, Yee and Dickinson.

Bizcuits
10-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I was a city council member in Citrus Hts from 1999-2005 and one of the first things I did after taking office was hold a 2nd Amendment forum. I tried to move my city towards a more "shall issue" issue policy on CCW's but they were pathetic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CH become a city in 2006? How did they have any form of a CCW policy prior to 2006?

alex00
10-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CH become a city in 2006? How did they have any form of a CCW policy prior to 2006?

No, they cancelled their contract for LE services with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department in 2006. They incorporated in 1997.

Bizcuits
10-25-2009, 10:59 AM
No, they cancelled their contract for LE services with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department in 2006. They incorporated in 1997.

AH! Thank you

Knew 2006 was an important date. :D

Kid Stanislaus
10-25-2009, 8:04 PM
Bret Daniels didn't get fired from SSD because he ran against Lou Blanas. He got fired because he had another cop (in AZ) look up an ex-girlfriend (that he probably wanted to stalk) and then lied about it. That's why he got fired.

Were you able to verify this independently or did you take somebody else's word for it?

dantodd
10-25-2009, 8:44 PM

Any support for the assertion that he was likely to stalk her with the information? It's a pretty huge accusation since it is adding a major felony on top of another abuse of power.

Mstrty
10-25-2009, 9:13 PM
Interesting? Sorry if it is a Dupe.
http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/snog/blogs/post?oid=1298866

Sheriff hopeful Bret Daniels figures fourth time's a charm

Not exactly breaking news here at SNOG central, but since most other media kind of skipped this one last week, I wanted to mention the entry of Bret Daniels into the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Race.

It’ll be Daniels fourth try for top cop of the county. In 1998 he got just 4 percent of the vote. In 2002 it was 17.5% and in 2006 he garnered 25.17%

At that rate, Daniels said, “It’s going to be me and Scott Jones in the run off.” Jones is of course Captain Scott Jones, endorsed by Sheriff John McGinness to be his replacement. McGinness is retiring because sheriff-ing is just too damn hard.

McGinness was likewise annointed by two-term Sheriff “Big Lou” Blanas, just like Blanas was annointed by Sheriff Glen Craig before him.

But Blanas is trying to monkey wrench the whole hand-picked successor thing by endorsing super slick Elk Grove city council member and all-around controversial guy Captain Jim Cooper. And former Sac PD Chief Albert Najera is also eyeballing the Sherriff’s job. Any time you want to announce, Al.

In Daniels last two runs, it was just him versus the incumbent. What makes him think he’ll do well in a crowded field of well-funded horses? Daniels calls Cooper the “David Letterman” of the Sheriff’s Department. As for the other front runner, “Mr Jones is a nice man, but I think people have had enough of this annointed stuff.”

Daniels said he’d “repair the relationship with the Board of Supervisors” and criticized McGinness for the way he’d handled the county’s budget crisis, including the layoffs of dozens of Sheriff’s deputies this year. He said cuts should start at the top.

“I would have sold off every shotgun and every car before I laid off any deputies."

That actually sounds pretty good to me: lots and lots of cops and no guns.