View Full Version : Firewall/Router DNS?

10-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if any of the consumer home gateway/firewalls have a built in mini DNS server?
I want to be able to name the hosts at home...

10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Never tried it and know almost nothing about its features but...http://www.smoothwall.org might do it?

10-24-2009, 8:15 AM
I don't know of any off hand.

You should be ale to install BIND on a DD-WRT instance.

10-24-2009, 8:37 AM
They usually don't have one. That being said, as bigmike82 said, there's third-party firmware for Linksys routers that allows you to customize the install. Also, you can install a DNS server on one of the computers you run.

10-24-2009, 8:40 AM
I want to be able to name the hosts at home...

How many systems are you talking about? The easy way to handle this would be for you to use a host file.

10-24-2009, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I don't want to go the hostfile route - that's cumbersome. The DD-WRT sounds like the best route, I was already considering it, but being lazy I hope something was out there. I have done a few Fedora based gateways with DHCP, DNS, Fireway, NAT, HTTP server, FTP server but don't want a 80W machine doing the job of a 5W firewall.

10-24-2009, 8:23 PM
DD-WRT is a good route to go, works great and supports DNSMASQ or something of the sorts.