PDA

View Full Version : Installing stock on AR

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 9:50 PM
Got a quick question regarding the stock on an AR. What is the procedure for switching a stock on an AR? I've built a lower before, but don't remember much about the stock. I might buy a built lower, but will probably want to switch to a different stock, that is why I'm asking. Do they just come off, or do I need to take the whole tube out?

THT
10-23-2009, 9:53 PM
As long as you get the right size stock (milspec vs. commercial) and it doesn't use a proprietary extension like the UBR, it's a matter of removing the one you don't want and sliding the new one on.

Noobert
10-23-2009, 9:53 PM
switch stock is simply take off the stock body, you don't need to change the extension

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 10:07 PM
switch stock is simply take off the stock body, you don't need to change the extension

The extension is the more time consuming part, right? How do the stocks slide off? I don't have an AR anymore or I'd just check myself. I know how to extend the stock, but I always thought it stopped once it was fully extended.. Unless there is another button to remove it?

THT
10-23-2009, 10:10 PM
The extension is the more time consuming part, right? How do the stocks slide off? I don't have an AR anymore or I'd just check myself. I know how to extend the stock, but I always thought it stopped once it was fully extended.. Unless there is another button to remove it?

If it's an M4 stock, rather than depress the lever, pull up on it as you slide it back and it will come off.

nagorb
10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Changing the extension is not hard at all. The lever you use to extend the stock also will release the stock if you pull it out, its hard to explain but there should be tutorials on the net.

nagorb
10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
If it's an M4 stock, rather than depress the lever, pull up on it as you slide it back and it will come off.

beat me to it:)

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 10:16 PM
cool thanks.

Dr Rockso
10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Switching from a M4 stock to an aftermarket of similar style (Magpul CTR, etc...) is easy and takes just a couple seconds. Switching to an A2 stock, Magpul PRS, or something like that is more involved since you have to change the extension.

nagorb
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Changing the extension while it is more involved is very simple.

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm just planning on switching to basic Magpul stock.

M47_Dragon
10-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Wow. I am planning a "furniture changing" session this weekend. After reading this thread, I grabbed my AR and changed the stock in about 30 seconds. That part is done... THANKS!