PDA

View Full Version : Cheap FFL found

Blue
05-10-2005, 5:23 PM
Mel Cottons on West San Carlos in San Jose does PPT's for $31 out the door and out of state transfers for $61 out the door. That's about the cheapest I've found for out of states. They only do rifles, but still I think it's a good deal. First time I've ever been there was today, anyone have any experiences with them?

Blue
05-10-2005, 5:23 PM
Mel Cottons on West San Carlos in San Jose does PPT's for $31 out the door and out of state transfers for $61 out the door. That's about the cheapest I've found for out of states. They only do rifles, but still I think it's a good deal. First time I've ever been there was today, anyone have any experiences with them?

imported_lunde
05-10-2005, 7:12 PM
It's sort of a bummer that they don't do handguns, but considering that the most that dealers can legally charge for PPTs is $35, $31 is pretty good.

gimmejr
05-10-2005, 7:15 PM
Well Reeds charges $35, better then sportmans supply which charges $50. If $35 is the most they can charge how can SS get away with $50?

Trader Jack
05-10-2005, 7:23 PM
There are a number of ways S.S. can charge $50.00 on a PPT and the DOJ can not do squat.

As for D.T.D. transfers, the sky's the limit and there is no regulation on this.

As for Mel Cotton not doing handgun DTD transfers but will do long guns, that makes no sense at all because both are a pain the ***.

maxicon
05-10-2005, 7:27 PM
SS charges for the safety demonstration for handguns, which they consider separate from the transfer (and was added to the requirement after the law limiting charges). Likewise, for long guns, they charge an additional "storage fee" if you pick it up even 1 day past the 10 day wait.

When I questioned them on this, they flat-out said they weren't interested in private party transfers, and would rather not do them. Crappy attitude, but at least they're honest about it.

I've had a recent good experience with Kerley's in Cupertino, who charged the basic $35 for a handgun PPT, and were pleasant and helpful the whole time.

I also had good luck with Target Masters last year, but they've changed ownership recently, I'm told.

max

whatever
05-10-2005, 9:18 PM
Don't forget that any Big 5 Sporting Goods store will handle a private party transfer of long guns. Cheap too. I think it wa $35 plus the cost of a lock if you don't have a safe.

Draven
05-10-2005, 11:23 PM
There are places here in LA that want $100 for out of state transfers!

djslik
05-11-2005, 8:42 AM
I am getting my pistol transferred from out of state from Dead On Firearms in Santa Maria for $60 out the door including dros. Cheapest I've seen so far.

Moonclip
05-11-2005, 5:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trader Jack:
There are a number of ways S.S. can charge $50.00 on a PPT and the DOJ can not do squat.

As for D.T.D. transfers, the sky's the limit and there is no regulation on this.

As for Mel Cotton not doing handgun DTD transfers but will do long guns, that makes no sense at all because both are a pain the ***. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can someone please explain how it is that California dealers charge a fee beyond the $35 total they can take legally. I assume they just call anything over the $35 some other sort of fee and get away with it.

Why has DOJ not amended the law or stepped in in some way? After all, if they want people to follow the PPT laws you would figure that they would not allow dealers to make it any harder or expensive than it already is. After all, the state does not get any more than the $25 anyways. I do understand dealers not liking the paperwork though but at least you make a few bucks, get a customer base, and if you are lucky the guys transferring the gun(s) do after all have to visit the store a couple of times and maybe they will buy another gun or some ammo or something too.

Does anyone remember B&B sales in Westminster getting raided by DOJ before their demise? I though it had something to do with the fact that they were doing something funny with the PPT rules. I remember they would only accept transfers for a few hours on a inconvienient day like Wednesday and I think they were charging above and beyond what the state charges were and not disclosing it as not being a state fee.

Maybe someone remembers and can clear that up.